Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Fri, Aug 23, 2019 8:25pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed, May 15, 2019 1:03pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Are you human?: 951
(EDIT: So apparently I'm an idiot and somehow bounced the wrong track for the Blade clip. Anyway, the correct clip for the Blade is now in the link.)

I finally got around to spending some quality time with the Meshuggah amp through my old JCM800 cab with 75s I picked up a few months back. I tried it when I first got it, but didn't really dig it with this head. I immediately loved it with my Natas, but for some reason I just wasn't feeling it with this amp. Anyway, I decided to give it another go and I actually really dig it. It needs a bit of volume for that combo to do it's thing, but once your there it's a deadly combo.

I went on a boost shootout craze with it lol. I ended up really digging it with the Fortin Blade and 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, so here they are. It's not a scientific A/B sort of thing because the amp settings are slightly different (I prefer the the presence between 10:30-11:00 with TS type pedals and I liked it dumped with the Blade here). I was just trying to find which pedals I preferred with this setup and figured I'd post my 2 favorite tones. Please excuse the throw away riffing lol, I was just messing about with pedals and tones.

PS - In case you're wondering, the Sally Drive is basically an 808 circuit, just overbuilt with top end components. Mine is the older one, with just the vol, gain, & tone. I believe the newer ones have more bells and whistles. Oddly enough, I usually prefer the regular OD808, but in this instance it took the cake for my tastes.

https://soundcloud.com/user-602073996/meshuggah-wblade

https://soundcloud.com/user-602073996/m ... ally-drive

Last edited by fearhk213 on Wed, May 15, 2019 7:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed, May 15, 2019 1:12pm 
Supah Stah

Sound mean. I would love to blast that tone.

PostPosted: Wed, May 15, 2019 1:23pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I haven't used these amps in real life, but when I use the NTS (Natas) plugin from Neural DSP, I really did not like the sound of the stock v30 speaker sim. I switched it for this old G12T-75 IR that I had lying around and it sounded awesome. It's a thick amp with a ton of mids, so the more scooped T75s really sounded good with it.

The Meshuggah/Nameless amp didn't sound right with it because that amp is too bright for those (to my ears anyway)

PostPosted: Wed, May 15, 2019 4:04pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

rottingcorpse wrote:
Sound mean. I would love to blast that tone.

:rock:

nigelpkay wrote:
I haven't used these amps in real life, but when I use the NTS (Natas) plugin from Neural DSP, I really did not like the sound of the stock v30 speaker sim. I switched it for this old G12T-75 IR that I had lying around and it sounded awesome. It's a thick amp with a ton of mids, so the more scooped T75s really sounded good with it.

The Meshuggah/Nameless amp didn't sound right with it because that amp is too bright for those (to my ears anyway)

At first I liked the built in cab sim, but I soon found some others I liked quite a bit more. For the NTS, I gravitate towards a couple of OS Mesa IR's. I haven't tried any 75 IR's with it, but I probably should since I like the real thing with the real amp.

I haven't tried the Nameless w/a 75 IR either. I also dig some other OS Mesa IR's with it. Part of the reason I didn't like the Meshuggah and 75's together at first was because I also found it too bright. Some slight tweaks and a bit more volume helped smooth it out and I got it where I wanted.

PostPosted: Wed, May 15, 2019 5:07pm 
Rock God Trainee

Sounds good, I like a bit of a brighter grinding tone so I liked the Sally Drive clip better of the two.
75's get a bad rap, but they can sound great with some good volume and when using a midrange rich high gain tone.

• Marshall JVM 210H
• EVH 5150 III 50w
• Peavey JSX
• PRS MT15
• Peavey XXX
• MESA & Krank 412
• Schecter, LTD & Fender
• Celestion & WGS

PostPosted: Wed, May 15, 2019 7:21pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

So apparently I'm an idiot and somehow bounced the wrong track for the Blade clip :doh: . Anyway, the correct clip for the Blade is now in the link.

PostPosted: Wed, May 15, 2019 8:29pm 
Supah Stah

D-Rock wrote:
Sounds good, I like a bit of a brighter grinding tone so I liked the Sally Drive clip better of the two.
75's get a bad rap, but they can sound great with some good volume and when using a midrange rich high gain tone.

I have a love/hate with 75's. They sound like shit until they get cranked up. Volume, (a good bit), is where they shine.

PostPosted: Wed, May 15, 2019 9:38pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

First off, sweet tones.

Secondly I feel that t-75's are the bitcheyist speakers. They are so amp dependent. I like a jsx through t75's but I hate them with my Splawns, I don't like them with rectifiers, they have to be louder than the average speaker to sound good, but sometimes they are great. I don't see them at all like a goto 'safe' speaker. The other amp I love them with is my mesa Nomad 100 w/GEQ at E34L's. It's magic. But they are a very polarized speaker.

I know that a lot of people claim that the English vs Chinese speakers is fairy dust, but the English t75's are far better sounding than the current productuon speakers.

Splawn: PROMOD KT88, Nitro KT88, Super Sport 6V6. Orange Rockerverb 50mki. Fryette Sig:X. Rivera K100, K-TRE. Mesa:, mkIV, Tremoverb, Nomad 100, Subway Blues, .22 cal w/GEQ Peavey JSX Musicman 100RD.Fender: 72 SF Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, 67 SF Bandmaster. Ampeg: Lee Jackson, AX70, Crate BV120 w/CEC mods.
BUILDS: 5F1, 1978X 18 Watt.
BUILDS IN PROCESS: AA165, JTM45.
And a bunch of modded EPI VJR's.

PostPosted: Wed, May 15, 2019 10:28pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

swamptrashstompboxes wrote:
First off, sweet tones.

Secondly I feel that t-75's are the bitcheyist speakers. They are so amp dependent. I like a jsx through t75's but I hate them with my Splawns, I don't like them with rectifiers, they have to be louder than the average speaker to sound good, but sometimes they are great. I don't see them at all like a goto 'safe' speaker. The other amp I love them with is my mesa Nomad 100 w/GEQ at E34L's. It's magic. But they are a very polarized speaker.

I know that a lot of people claim that the English vs Chinese speakers is fairy dust, but the English t75's are far better sounding than the current productuon speakers.

Yeah I used to avoid them. I found them harsh and hollow. My first positive experience was having them x-patterned with some v30s. I can’t recall for certain if those were UK or Chinese, but being it was around 2005 I’d guess Chinese. I dug that combo quite a bit with my Fortin Cali and an Uber Cameron HG Jose I had at the time. Oddly enough I hated that combo with the Natas even though I like them both independently of each other with that amp. I decided to give this cab ago because a few recorded tones I dug used them, so I figured I’d take a chance.

I don’t know a whole lot of details on the history of the 75, but from what i’ve gathered there is a difference between the Chinese and the older UK models. I’ve heard the older ones, specifically the vented ones and the non-vented ones right after they stopped doing the vent are less scooped. At what point they became what they are now or if there were other changes along the way I have no idea, though.

PostPosted: Thu, May 16, 2019 7:49am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

D-Rock wrote:

I completely agree with your statement of the 75's. I remember reading somewhere once that they were created to tame some of the mid range of the entire Marshall linea at the time.

I used to have a Marshall Jubilee 2555SL & i played it through my Marshall 1960BHW Cab & it sounded ok, once i plugged it into a 1990's JCM 900 cab with the 75's it sounded massive & crushing....i wish i still had that head.

PostPosted: Thu, May 16, 2019 7:54am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I think a midrange rich amp is what they respond to best.

I was thinking too about that they need to be pushed a little bit more than the average speaker for optimal performance.

Splawn: PROMOD KT88, Nitro KT88, Super Sport 6V6. Orange Rockerverb 50mki. Fryette Sig:X. Rivera K100, K-TRE. Mesa:, mkIV, Tremoverb, Nomad 100, Subway Blues, .22 cal w/GEQ Peavey JSX Musicman 100RD.Fender: 72 SF Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, 67 SF Bandmaster. Ampeg: Lee Jackson, AX70, Crate BV120 w/CEC mods.
BUILDS: 5F1, 1978X 18 Watt.
BUILDS IN PROCESS: AA165, JTM45.
And a bunch of modded EPI VJR's.

PostPosted: Thu, May 16, 2019 12:42pm 
Rock God

Wow, I was expecting not to like this because any amp I have used did not like the 75's and any Fortin clip I have heard had that mid clank that I am not too fond of.

But this sounded completely awesome and thrash city.

"It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission"

PostPosted: Thu, May 16, 2019 9:39pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

maddnotez wrote:
Wow, I was expecting not to like this because any amp I have used did not like the 75's and any Fortin clip I have heard had that mid clank that I am not too fond of.

But this sounded completely awesome and thrash city.

Haha right on. Glad you dug it :rock:

PostPosted: Fri, May 17, 2019 2:10am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

To me these speakers always sounded ideal for classic thrash tones. I like the 75 watters, more than V30s for sure.