Synergy amps GAS! What is the Rig-Talk consensus so far?

• Thread starter Deleted member 10619
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 10619

It seems interesting to me and worth a shot.

Any experienced Synergy users out there that can provide their opinion on how these modules sound?

I'm about to get a SYN2 preamp unit.

So far the SLO, VH4 and Friedman BE-BB demos are sounding real nice to me.

I have Synergy rig with the SLO, VH4, BB/BE and the Engle Savage modules and it sounds really good. I also have a couple of JF modules (Ecstasy and a Hammerhead) that also sound fantastic.

If you are looking for a Synergy SLO module, there is one for sale on TGP.

psychodave":tht8v7av said:
I think the stuff looks really cool, but it’s really expensive.

It is but now all the early buyers have checking in there's a stream of used gear available and also some new sales kicking around to shift some gear - have seen $339 new modules lately...$200 off amps.

Favorite modules so far - Soldano, BB/BE, OS and ENGL Savage

I waited and waited for a coupon so I could grab the SYN50 with 25% off...

It's crazy how much more expensive gear has become though.

I tried them the other day. Really impressed with the preamp and modules. But they sounded much better when we hooked it up to a Marshall 9100 power amp. I felt the Synergy power amp lacked punch in comparison.

jkdsteve":2j0bvewe said:
psychodave":2j0bvewe said:
I think the stuff looks really cool, but it’s really expensive.

It is but now all the early buyers have checking in there's a stream of used gear available and also some new sales kicking around to shift some gear - have seen $339 new modules lately...$200 off amps.

Favorite modules so far - Soldano, BB/BE, OS and ENGL Savage

I waited and waited for a coupon so I could grab the SYN50 with 25% off...

It's crazy how much more expensive gear has become though.

Yo, how's that syn50 power? I've been on the fence for years, lol. Not sure if I want syn1, 2 or a 50 head

I have a Syn50 that I use with 2 Syn2’s and it’s ok. I have used the Syn 2’s with a Fryette PS2 and like it better to be honest.

It's great stuff but it is only ever going to be 80% of what you are chasing because the power amp is neutral and obviously missing from just the preamp. I am part of the old school, I have a Randall Lynchbox which is essentially just an RM100, and I dig it. I have a Friedman Brahma (JMP essentially) and it hangs no problem with my 800. I also have a Jaded Faith AC30 (fantastic sounding) but obviously not having that Vox poweramp means it isn't going to be exactly the same. I have an Ampeg BASS module by Salvation and their Ecstacy as well. It's wicked sounding stuff but yes, can get expensive especially at the prices of the newer synergy stuff. If you have limited room and just buying the preamps.. it does give you a lot of voicing options. That said, how many diff voices do you REALLY need? All these amps are not too far off from each other where voicing is concerned. You have low gainers, mid gain, high gainers. You are always going to dial them in similarly as well so that's why I have learned to not get too excited about buying amps or preamps.

I just bought a bb-be, hbe, and syn2. Used it live Sunday, it sounded great. At some point I will buy an el34 power amp but for now I am running it through an old tube works mosvalve. I bought it so I could stop bouncing my 45 year old Marshall around, I knew what I wanted for preamps, I doubt I will be buying many more.

Don’t know a lot about this stuff, but it seems similar in concept to the MTS stuff. True?

I went down that rabbit hole, in a big way, a few times. Still think the modded modules I tried were fantastic....and even a couple stock modules kicked ass.

mctallica1":d8l5ko6e said:
Don’t know a lot about this stuff, but it seems similar in concept to the MTS stuff. True?

I went down that rabbit hole, in a big way, a few times. Still think the modded modules I tried were fantastic....and even a couple stock modules kicked ass.

This is my understanding as well. I saw that Jim Root from Slipknot is using these now

It's exactly the same design, just upgraded. The old MTS modules work with Synergy and vice-versa, though the channel-switching on the Synergy modules doesn't work in MTS systems.

mctallica1":2ugg6nz7 said:

Yeah, Tony it's just a refinement on the hardware concept with the first stage cathode switching adding a little variety to feel/tone.

The biggest impact is the whole synergistic part of it, actually having amp designers work and tweak their own modules....that's pretty cool.

I am still stuck in the hole....this is hell nor am I out of it? :D :rock:

Hi guys, i’m new here but a long time Live user and gearhead, i have the Syn 1 with 3 modules, Plexi, Bman, TDL they all sound great, Plexi is on par with my Custom Audio 3+ pre amp, that says it all, right?

Syn 30 head user here. Sounds great and like the intended amps. BE, SLO, DS, VH4, Plexi, Savage are the modules I have. It could be looked at as expensive or, I have a $1,650 3 channel dirty shirley that sounds like a dirty shirley...

I'm currently using a SYN-2 into a Fryette Powerstation 2 - sounds great - currently got the HBE, VH4 and SLO synergy modules, and more on my want list.

The Synergy stuff seems a step up even from the very well made Egnater stuff and much better that the Randall MTS.

I wasn't expecting such positive feedback from the board!

I'm currently signed to the Sweetwater SYN2 wait list.

Back