Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Fri, Oct 18, 2019 7:15am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed, Jul 10, 2019 11:44pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee

Joined: Wed, Jan 31, 2018 5:11pm
Posts: 261
Are you human?: 951
Man I love this thing. The IRs sound great, reactive load is great, the headphone and aux are very handy. I'm so glad I didn't get the UOAX.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jul 11, 2019 7:17am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Apr 01, 2017 2:36pm
Posts: 720
Location: Athens, Greece
Are you human?: 951
Gongrats on ur new purchase! I have the reactive load that I use with my torpedo cab. It's amazing and I got it used for 280 euros

_________________
Mesa Boogie Mark III blue stripe simul-class
Suhr LoadBox
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod 24
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
Box of doom isolation cab
UR 22 sound interface
:rock: :rock: :rock:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ios4ever
https://soundcloud.com/ios4ever


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jul 11, 2019 8:52am 
Offline
Apprentice NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Jul 07, 2006 7:21pm
Posts: 148
Location: NC
Are you human?: 951
Love mine. I had the OX for a while, it's great if you're just wanting to go direct but not so much as an attenuator. But with the RL I can run the unprocessed line out to a power amp and it sounds better than any attenuator I've tried.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jul 11, 2019 9:26am 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Jul 08, 2006 6:51pm
Posts: 9425
Location: Michigan, USA
Are you human?: 951
Loving my Suhr RLIR, have downloaded a few Celestion IRs to expand what I want for all my amps.

For me its been a game changer. On Sundays I went from a mic'ed cab to the Suhr RLIR, we use IEMs. The mic'ed cab was in the back , but we still had to be mindful of volume. With the Suhr RLIR, I can set the volume to where the amp sounds the best. On my mark IVA, I ran it at 3 on the master volume, rarely been able to get it that loud. Was interesting for me was that it was the sweet spot for what I wanted and going louder wasn't better.

I am redoing my music room, so having to deal with a bedroom setup and now using the Suhr RLIR for a headphone rig.
So far the Suhr RLIR is one of the best purchases I have made in a while. Using an old laptop bag as a case, which works great for transport.

_________________
I contract on amp repair work for G&A Music.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jul 11, 2019 10:30am 
Offline
Plank Cranker
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Nov 30, 2007 10:17am
Posts: 850
blackba wrote:
Loving my Suhr RLIR, have downloaded a few Celestion IRs to expand what I want for all my amps.

For me its been a game changer. On Sundays I went from a mic'ed cab to the Suhr RLIR, we use IEMs. The mic'ed cab was in the back , but we still had to be mindful of volume. With the Suhr RLIR, I can set the volume to where the amp sounds the best. On my mark IVA, I ran it at 3 on the master volume, rarely been able to get it that loud. Was interesting for me was that it was the sweet spot for what I wanted and going louder wasn't better.

I am redoing my music room, so having to deal with a bedroom setup and now using the Suhr RLIR for a headphone rig.
So far the Suhr RLIR is one of the best purchases I have made in a while. Using an old laptop bag as a case, which works great for transport.


What does your signal chain look like? What you described sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. In the past I tried an attenuator and it just made the sound so fuzzy and fizzy, it was not the same. Currently, I run an effects processor in the loop and use that to control the volume so that I can keep it down for the kids, but when they aren't around and crank it up, the amp comes to life. I would love to be able to have close to that sound, but at a reasonable volume (and not going digital).

_________________
Amps: Engl SE, Surreal Atomica, Marshall JCM 800 Cameron Aldrich Mod, Mesa Triaxis, Carvin Legacy
Guitars: Fender EJ Strat, Fender Tele B-Bender, Ibanez Jem7V, Ibanez Universe, Ibanez Prestige RG2020x, Ibanez USA Custom, Ibanez RG760, Charvel USA SoCal, Guild X-170, a bunch more
Favorite Pedals: Xotic BB+, MXR VH Flanger, MXR P90 w/ VH (script Mod), CAE Wah, KR Mega Vibe


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jul 11, 2019 1:17pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee

Joined: Wed, Jan 31, 2018 5:11pm
Posts: 261
Are you human?: 951
Well here's my two-cents at this point:

It seems like there's a somewhat consistent consensus that Suhr's Reactive Load is superior to all other loadboxes, and a seemingly similar consensus that the UAOX has the best cab sims. Perhaps that leaves Two-Rock Torpedo series just slightly under either. However, I had the CAB for a long time and really liked it. I thought the cabs were excellent. Having had the Suhr IR now for a few weeks, I have an accurate idea of how they compare. The IR is total quality for sure but I still think Two-Notes have great sounding cabs. The Torpedo CAB + Suhr Reactive Load would be equally as good, but more advantageous since you have full control with the software. The IR takes the cake though because you only need the one unit and it's so easy to use. You don't have to worry much about mic placement and all that fancy stuff because the factory cabs are configured really damned well. To my knowledge, IRs are provided with a few variants of the cab with different mic placements, so you just need to copy the IRs to the Suhr IR and poof - done!

I still prefer practicing through the cab than with the Suhr IR and headphones because there is a slightly different feel. Plus, it seems like what you hear through headphones or monitors just doesn't sound as good as what you hear on recorded tracks. I have tried practicing with it through a whole variety of headphones, studio monitors, and stereo speakers, and I perceive a few qualities that don't sound as good to me. I would like to know if anyone else hears the same thing (I also hear this with Two-Notes, UOAX, Rivera, etc. by the way). What I'm hearing through headphones, frfr, etc. depends on the cab selection. For example, vintage style cab selections generally might have a slightly clumpier breakup, or spikier presence, or woolier low end than the actual speakers. More modern style cab selection sometimes have a bit of dryness where they should be tighter, and sometimes the midrange seems firmer or something.

These are things I do not hear on recorded tracks. Only after practicing for a while do I start picking up on those little nuances. When I manage to get mic-placement right on my physical cab and compare it to the exact same cab on my Suhr IR, it seems indistinguishable. I thought maybe a mic would be warmer or something but the IR sounds damned real! The IR helps get way better recordings than anything I could do micing a cab. Overall, it's starting to be more of an invaluable recording tool than a practice + recording tool. No intention of promoting Suhr here, but I have to say that if you have halfway decent technique and using reasonable amp settings, then it's really hard to get a bad sound out of this thing. Compared to micing a cab, it's far less hit & miss.

That's all I have for now. There is more that can be done with this thing but I haven't gotten around to experimenting yet. These are hard to find used. If they do pop up, they're being sold around $550 so it's not really a good value on the used market when a new unit costs $599.

Now for my Friedman Fanboi/Bromance thing - IF Dave Friedman came out with a IR/load device, that is probably the ONLY device I would chance replacing my Suhr IR with. Ha ha, not that I think that's even remotely possible or that I'm hinting anything, just saying because I think the Suhr IR is really good.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jul 11, 2019 1:29pm 
Online
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Mon, Feb 03, 2014 1:49pm
Posts: 1612
Location: Tar Heel State
Are you human?: 951
I'm using the Suhr RL + WOS. Whilst it sounds very good...my amp seems to be losing some of the squishiness, sponginess...if that makes sense. It gets a bit brittle.

Is that a setting in WOS to soften it up a bit?

Otherwise, IMO, it's one of the best products available, period...in a long time.

_________________
dfrattaroli"...If you're the real deal, fame will find you. Otherwise, I'd really love to hear 99 Luft Balloons please. Carry on."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jul 11, 2019 3:06pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Jan 05, 2016 8:26pm
Posts: 1850
Location: Green dumpster behind the Waikiki 7-11
Are you human?: 951
I had my Suhr RL IR since December and used it almost every night since hehe. It crapped out on me during the end of May. Started with the display sometimes locking up and not being able to switch IRs. Powercycling fixed it. Right around the same week the Waza tube amp expanders were going to ship the display stopped working completely. I was able to still switch IRs but not see the numbers. Then the next day it was stuck on an IR with no display. I then preordered the Waza. Contacted Suhr and the day I shipped it back for warranty I got the Waza.

Anyway I have both and if I disable all the bells and whistles on the waza they are very similar sounding, except the waza can change its reactive load types and get a different feel. Not a huge difference but I can hear it, changes the pick attack a bit. The waza's headphone amp is definitely way stronger than the Suhr. Playing with headphones on the waza sounds full and thick and the suhr sounded a bit thin but in recordings they are similar so not a huge deal. To me the Suhr has more high's than the waza but also has less low end which is something that always bugged me even with v1. It's not so noticeable if you play clean or rock but if high gain and palm mutes are a thing for you it is noticeable. I first noticed this when my buddy picked up a Torpedo captor. I couldn't replicated the lowend he was getting without drastically changing my amp settings. Anyway i'm going to hold on to it for now I still think its great and way more smaller and lighter than the waza.

_________________
Cheesy home recordings -> https://soundcloud.com/faka-894685110

First Act - Ola signature 25 string with Evertune
Monoprice- Indio Cali Classic Electric Guitar with Gig Bag Sunburst
Fortin modded Gorilla "Masterbuilt" GG-10 (Hand wired).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jul 11, 2019 3:45pm 
Offline
Apprentice NOOB

Joined: Fri, Aug 05, 2016 1:43am
Posts: 69
Are you human?: 951
I’ve had the SuhrIr and now have the torpedo live. The Suhr was my first venture into irs and I was a bit disappointed. I found the stock ir’s too fizzy and within one evening while I was experimenting with some ownhammer ir’s the display stopped working giving me no idea what cab I was on. In addition to that I have to say the mechanism for loading them onto the rlir is very clunky compared to the slick software with the two notes.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, Jul 12, 2019 12:32am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Jan 05, 2016 8:26pm
Posts: 1850
Location: Green dumpster behind the Waikiki 7-11
Are you human?: 951
Manxmusicman wrote:
I’ve had the SuhrIr and now have the torpedo live. The Suhr was my first venture into irs and I was a bit disappointed. I found the stock ir’s too fizzy and within one evening while I was experimenting with some ownhammer ir’s the display stopped working giving me no idea what cab I was on. In addition to that I have to say the mechanism for loading them onto the rlir is very clunky compared to the slick software with the two notes.

Wow I guess my issue wasn't an isolated issue it sounds like. I'm wondering if the electronics/IR loader fails from too much heat. The waza is pretty clear about having distance and space. It came with rack ears and needs a minimal 1u above and below to dissipate heat.

_________________
Cheesy home recordings -> https://soundcloud.com/faka-894685110

First Act - Ola signature 25 string with Evertune
Monoprice- Indio Cali Classic Electric Guitar with Gig Bag Sunburst
Fortin modded Gorilla "Masterbuilt" GG-10 (Hand wired).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, Jul 12, 2019 12:56am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee

Joined: Mon, Jun 19, 2017 2:32pm
Posts: 760
Location: Houseplant Happy Hour
Are you human?: 951
errrrrl wrote:
I had my Suhr RL IR since December and used it almost every night since hehe. It crapped out on me during the end of May. Started with the display sometimes locking up and not being able to switch IRs. Powercycling fixed it. Right around the same week the Waza tube amp expanders were going to ship the display stopped working completely. I was able to still switch IRs but not see the numbers. Then the next day it was stuck on an IR with no display. I then preordered the Waza. Contacted Suhr and the day I shipped it back for warranty I got the Waza.

Anyway I have both and if I disable all the bells and whistles on the waza they are very similar sounding, except the waza can change its reactive load types and get a different feel. Not a huge difference but I can hear it, changes the pick attack a bit. The waza's headphone amp is definitely way stronger than the Suhr. Playing with headphones on the waza sounds full and thick and the suhr sounded a bit thin but in recordings they are similar so not a huge deal. To me the Suhr has more high's than the waza but also has less low end which is something that always bugged me even with v1. It's not so noticeable if you play clean or rock but if high gain and palm mutes are a thing for you it is noticeable. I first noticed this when my buddy picked up a Torpedo captor. I couldn't replicated the lowend he was getting without drastically changing my amp settings. Anyway i'm going to hold on to it for now I still think its great and way more smaller and lighter than the waza.


I've had the v1 Suhr for a few years. Based on the clips I've been listening to the Captor is better suited for the heavier stuff. I plan to get a Captor in the next few months and do a comparison with the my Suhr v1.

_________________
My youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC20Ddh ... Npz_0wL9Jg


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, Jul 12, 2019 7:49am 
Offline
Apprentice NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Jul 07, 2006 7:21pm
Posts: 148
Location: NC
Are you human?: 951
Wow, I had issues with the display and IR selector on mine too. Suhr support was spectacular though, they overnighted a replacement to me before they even got the broken one back and it's been solid. That said I did just order a Boss TAE. Having effects and a power amp in one box will be nice, I just hope the load is as good as the Suhr.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, Jul 12, 2019 7:56am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Feb 20, 2019 12:04am
Posts: 1703
Are you human?: 951
These issues are of a growing concern for me, as I was planning to snag one.

Anybody else have the same problem?

_________________
The keepers:
Splawn: PROMOD, Nitro, Super Sport.
Orange Rockerverb 50mki. Fryette Sig:X.
Rivera K100, K-TRE. Musicman 100RD.
Mesa:, mkIV, Tremoverb, Nomad 100 GEQ,
Subway Blues, .22 GEQ.
Fender: 72 Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, 67 Bandmaster.
BUILDS: 5F1, 1978X 18 Watt. Modded VJR'S
BUILDS IN PROCESS: AA165, JTM45.

The keepers:
Ibanez Prestige x 5
USA/MIJ Jacksons x 6
Gibsons LP x 3, SG
USA/MIJ Charvel x 4
USA Fender x 4 MIK x 2 MIM x 2
Hofner Semihollows x 3
ESP Eclipse

Good deals with: napalmdeath


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, Jul 12, 2019 8:14am 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Jul 08, 2006 6:51pm
Posts: 9425
Location: Michigan, USA
Are you human?: 951
shredhead7 wrote:
blackba wrote:
Loving my Suhr RLIR, have downloaded a few Celestion IRs to expand what I want for all my amps.

For me its been a game changer. On Sundays I went from a mic'ed cab to the Suhr RLIR, we use IEMs. The mic'ed cab was in the back , but we still had to be mindful of volume. With the Suhr RLIR, I can set the volume to where the amp sounds the best. On my mark IVA, I ran it at 3 on the master volume, rarely been able to get it that loud. Was interesting for me was that it was the sweet spot for what I wanted and going louder wasn't better.

I am redoing my music room, so having to deal with a bedroom setup and now using the Suhr RLIR for a headphone rig.
So far the Suhr RLIR is one of the best purchases I have made in a while. Using an old laptop bag as a case, which works great for transport.


What does your signal chain look like? What you described sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. In the past I tried an attenuator and it just made the sound so fuzzy and fizzy, it was not the same. Currently, I run an effects processor in the loop and use that to control the volume so that I can keep it down for the kids, but when they aren't around and crank it up, the amp comes to life. I would love to be able to have close to that sound, but at a reasonable volume (and not going digital).


My signal chain live with a channel switching amp is small PB (I do use the loop of the amp) -> Amp (Mesa mark IVA or Soldano HR25) -> Suhr RLIR - > TRS to XLR cable straight to the PA
With a Single channel amps, its the same, I just use my big pedalboard and use either a Fender Brown Super or Mesa TA15 on one of the channels. I have not tried running the line out with the IRS back into my delay and reverb pedal, then into the PA. that would allow me to use both channels of my TA15 which would be great, but been super busy.

For home, I have been running my strat into the big pedalboard into the mesa TA15, into the Suhr RLIR, then taking that to the mixer and also sending a line from the computer to the mixer so I can play along. I could do without the mixer, but I like having it for the EQ, even if its just a Behringer POS.

I will say I do prefer practicing without headphones, but this is a great solution for me. I did try my PS2 with a Nux SS-5 for the IRs, even used that live a few times, but one time after a break I forgot to kick on the IRs on the NUX for most of the song. After that I wanted an all in one solution, so I got the Suhr RLIR. I did very strongly consider getting a torpedo CabM and using that either with the PS2 of the standard Suhr RL.

_________________
I contract on amp repair work for G&A Music.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, Jul 13, 2019 8:30am 
Offline
Plank Cranker

Joined: Wed, Jan 10, 2007 5:58pm
Posts: 847
Location: Buffalo, NY
Are you human?: 951
I picked up the Boss TAE and it sounds great as do the effects. I have run into 2 issues with the unit, the parameters on the effects can not be midi controlled..Dammit! I want to be able to control the Delay mix with a midi CC# and an expression pedal..the other is the amp CTRL, is only TS instead of TRS which kind of kills it for complete control of my Friedmans.
Haven't tried the IR's yet but I have updated it to the latest firmware and it worked but was definitely not as slick as the Fractal updater.

I really do think it's great tho, looking forward to dialing it in with a pa system.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, Jul 13, 2019 1:25pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee

Joined: Wed, Jan 31, 2018 5:11pm
Posts: 261
Are you human?: 951
So someone please tell me with some qualification to separate things: First, the general word on the Internet is that Ownhammer has the best IRs, but shouldn't Celestion IRs just as good? Second question pertains to the Waza Expader thing somebody mentioned. I did not know it served the same functions as the Suhr IR.... Well, I've known about it since it came out but never learned anything about it. I'm intrigued even though I'm very satisfied with my Suhr IR because all the Waza stuff I've used has been superb.What is that device all about in a nutshell?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, Jul 13, 2019 3:59pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Jan 05, 2016 8:26pm
Posts: 1850
Location: Green dumpster behind the Waikiki 7-11
Are you human?: 951
MistaGuitah wrote:
So someone please tell me with some qualification to separate things: First, the general word on the Internet is that Ownhammer has the best IRs, but shouldn't Celestion IRs just as good? Second question pertains to the Waza Expader thing somebody mentioned. I did not know it served the same functions as the Suhr IR.... Well, I've known about it since it came out but never learned anything about it. I'm intrigued even though I'm very satisfied with my Suhr IR because all the Waza stuff I've used has been superb.What is that device all about in a nutshell?

The waza tube amp expander is a Swiss army knife of a load box, sort of like a Suhr rl ir + Powerstation 2 + UA ox in one. And a usb interface built in. There is two Z knobs on the front with 4 selections each that control the type of reactive load you want (16 total rl types). It's also an amazing attenuator that doesn't color your sound. Has a 100 watt solid state amp built in and can also be used to crank up lower wattage amps. Has stereo XLR outs and a FOH out. Has built in delays, reverbs, equalizers, its own cab modeling with mics and room and can load up to 4 third party IRs. Can take up to I think a 150 watt head, rack mountable, heaphone out etc. Also has an fx loop that can be set for parallel or series. It's got a lot going on.

_________________
Cheesy home recordings -> https://soundcloud.com/faka-894685110

First Act - Ola signature 25 string with Evertune
Monoprice- Indio Cali Classic Electric Guitar with Gig Bag Sunburst
Fortin modded Gorilla "Masterbuilt" GG-10 (Hand wired).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, Jul 13, 2019 9:51pm 
Offline
Apprentice NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Jul 07, 2006 7:21pm
Posts: 148
Location: NC
Are you human?: 951
zuel69 wrote:
I picked up the Boss TAE and it sounds great as do the effects. I have run into 2 issues with the unit, the parameters on the effects can not be midi controlled..Dammit! I want to be able to control the Delay mix with a midi CC# and an expression pedal..the other is the amp CTRL, is only TS instead of TRS which kind of kills it for complete control of my Friedmans.
Haven't tried the IR's yet but I have updated it to the latest firmware and it worked but was definitely not as slick as the Fractal updater.

I really do think it's great tho, looking forward to dialing it in with a pa system.

Literally just got mine today and I'm liking it so far, but the amp control jack being only TS is a bummer. I would love to be able to use it to switch my BE50 and Wildwood Smallbox.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jul 14, 2019 6:50am 
Offline
Plank Cranker

Joined: Wed, Jan 10, 2007 5:58pm
Posts: 847
Location: Buffalo, NY
Are you human?: 951
marshall2553 wrote:
zuel69 wrote:
I picked up the Boss TAE and it sounds great as do the effects. I have run into 2 issues with the unit, the parameters on the effects can not be midi controlled..Dammit! I want to be able to control the Delay mix with a midi CC# and an expression pedal..the other is the amp CTRL, is only TS instead of TRS which kind of kills it for complete control of my Friedmans.
Haven't tried the IR's yet but I have updated it to the latest firmware and it worked but was definitely not as slick as the Fractal updater.

I really do think it's great tho, looking forward to dialing it in with a pa system.

Literally just got mine today and I'm liking it so far, but the amp control jack being only TS is a bummer. I would love to be able to use it to switch my BE50 and Wildwood Smallbox.


Those are my exact amps.. :rock: I was trying to eliminate the cable snake from my FX8 but I guess that's the way it's gotta be for now.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon, Jul 15, 2019 7:14am 
Offline
Immortal Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Aug 02, 2008 7:14pm
Posts: 12331
Location: US
Are you human?: 951
marshall2553 wrote:
zuel69 wrote:
I picked up the Boss TAE and it sounds great as do the effects. I have run into 2 issues with the unit, the parameters on the effects can not be midi controlled..Dammit! I want to be able to control the Delay mix with a midi CC# and an expression pedal..the other is the amp CTRL, is only TS instead of TRS which kind of kills it for complete control of my Friedmans.
Haven't tried the IR's yet but I have updated it to the latest firmware and it worked but was definitely not as slick as the Fractal updater.

I really do think it's great tho, looking forward to dialing it in with a pa system.

Literally just got mine today and I'm liking it so far, but the amp control jack being only TS is a bummer. I would love to be able to use it to switch my BE50 and Wildwood Smallbox.

Could you run a TRS/dual TS cable like you would use on a channel insert on a mixer?
Just thinking out loud...
Im considering one of these too and I was looking for a way around that..
One of my gripes on the WAZA is there is no dry speaker output on the attenuator so you could run a wet/dry/wet setup. There is a way to do it, but it would have been easier if it was there in the first place

_________________
Langner DCP1
Langner Modded JCM900
Fortin Modded JMP Cali++
Fortin JCM800 Hyper mod
Friedman Modded Metro Superlead
Friedman BE100DLX
Ceriatone JTM45
JCM 2000 DSL
VOX AC15
Marshall Dual Monoblock 100/100
6 Marshall 412's
2 Laney AOR 412's


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon, Jul 15, 2019 11:32am 
Offline
Apprentice NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Jul 07, 2006 7:21pm
Posts: 148
Location: NC
Are you human?: 951
zuel69 wrote:
marshall2553 wrote:
zuel69 wrote:
I picked up the Boss TAE and it sounds great as do the effects. I have run into 2 issues with the unit, the parameters on the effects can not be midi controlled..Dammit! I want to be able to control the Delay mix with a midi CC# and an expression pedal..the other is the amp CTRL, is only TS instead of TRS which kind of kills it for complete control of my Friedmans.
Haven't tried the IR's yet but I have updated it to the latest firmware and it worked but was definitely not as slick as the Fractal updater.

I really do think it's great tho, looking forward to dialing it in with a pa system.

Literally just got mine today and I'm liking it so far, but the amp control jack being only TS is a bummer. I would love to be able to use it to switch my BE50 and Wildwood Smallbox.


Those are my exact amps.. :rock: I was trying to eliminate the cable snake from my FX8 but I guess that's the way it's gotta be for now.

I don't want to derail this thread too much, but you should try running the Smallbox Plexi channel like you would a normal Plexi into the TAE (or Suhr RL for that matter). Dime channel 1 volume, gain at 1 or 2 o'clock, all EQ around 1 o'clock except keep the bass a little lower, bright switch in the darker position or it gets crazy bright. It completely cured any GAS I had for a Plexi, it's just glorious. I've tried a few boutique Plexi clones in the past and none of them were any better than this setup.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MrDowntown and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group - Terms of Use