Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Sun, Nov 17, 2019 6:41pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SLO100 V2 - Under $4k
PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 9:09am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Are you human?: 951
Not sure if anyone tuned in to Tone Talk last night, but I caught a little bit of it.

They were talking about the new transformers being used, but didn't mention who was making them. Both Dave and Mike commented that they actually liked them MORE than the DeYound Trannies. Could be marketing/sales tactics, but I always see Dave as a pretty open and honest guy, and Mike seems like he has a heart of gold, so it may be true.

Another point they touched on was pricing, to which Dave said he would not reveal the actual priced, but it'd be under $4k. I thought that was great, and actually has me really interested in possibly grabbing one when they're released.

Last item was the effects loop, and yes, it'll finally be where it should be in the circuit to be usable.

Not sure how much of this was common knowledge, but I found it all kind of exciting and have never owned an SLO before, so now I may be interested i grabbing a V2

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 9:25am 
Apprentice NOOB

So 3999$ it is :) and don't want to see EU prices...

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 9:30am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

They did mention who is making the transformers - it's Magnetic Components.

I wonder if they will still be making the Decatone etc. Only made it about halfway through the show so i'm not sure if they mentioned it later

|Alexander, Effectrode, Pigtronix, and Wampler FX|

Last edited by Devin on Fri, Nov 08, 2019 9:31am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 9:31am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Devin wrote:
They did mention who is making the transformers - it's Magnetic Components

My bad, must have missed that part.

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 9:31am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 9:35am 
Apprentice NOOB

Another interesting thing is about using V30 in their cabs. I see this like positive, because You are not limited to use Eminence cab which sound good almost only with Soldano's. I had V30 Soldano and it was my favourite gigging cab. Perfect combination of lowend, cut and clarity.

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 9:41am 
Supah Stah

Should be under $3k.

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 9:41am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Devin wrote:

I wonder if they will still be making the Decatone etc. Only made it about halfway through the show so i'm not sure if they mentioned it later

I'm sure some people will throw a fit about that since they see Classic Tone transformers as cheap, but they're one of the largest transformer manufacturers in the US and their stuff sounds great.

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 9:43am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

technomancer wrote:
Devin wrote:

I'm sure some people will throw a fit about that since they see Classic Tone transformers as cheap, but they're one of the largest transformer manufacturers in the US and their stuff sounds great.

Classictone? He said Mercury.

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 9:48am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Magnetic Components makes the "Classictone" line of transformers. Killer stuff, too!

|Alexander, Effectrode, Pigtronix, and Wampler FX|

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 10:02am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Devin wrote:
Magnetic Components makes the "Classictone" line of transformers. Killer stuff, too!

Man, I'm really fucking up this morning. I read that as Mercury Magnetics in my brain.

That's rad then! I love classictone stuff. I have them in my Splawn QR and also installed a PT and choke from them in my DSL50 when the OG transformer took a dump.

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 10:30am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Why would one of these be worth so much? I'm not being a smart ass I'm actually curious. I've never heard one in person and I've always heard the extra mojo was in the transformer.

Solar S1.6

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 10:32am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

ClintN667 wrote:
Why would one of these be worth so much? I'm not being a smart ass I'm actually curious. I've never heard one in person and I've always heard the extra mojo was in the transformer.

These are cheaper than when they were offered direct through Soldano. Mike gave the new manufacturer the specs of the DeYoung to reproduce it, so it should be the same, or extremely similar.

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 10:59am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I've never had the opportunity to try one. I like classictone though and I have a set going into a Ceriatone 2204 when it gets here. At any rate Mike seems like a class act. It's good to see him find a business arrangement better suited for his goals at this point in his career.

Solar S1.6

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 12:09pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Bad.Seed wrote:
Not sure if anyone tuned in to Tone Talk last night, but I caught a little bit of it.
They were talking about the new transformers being used, but didn't mention who was making them. Both Dave and Mike commented that they actually liked them MORE than the DeYound Trannies. Could be marketing/sales tactics, but I always see Dave as a pretty open and honest guy, and Mike seems like he has a heart of gold, so it may be true.

Of course they are going to say that... what else would they say... "These new Classic Tone DeYoung clone Xformers sound like sh!t and are the best low-priced option we could come up with to keep the cost down in a mass produced amp while maintaining our profit margin"???

Mike Soldano claimed for near 30 years the DeYoung OT/PT were key to the SLO sound and nothing else came close... until now when he sells his business and wants to keep getting a check every month. C'mon man. Call it like it is... you can't have it both ways.

:doh: :no:

Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), braintheory (S: Engl SE EL34), ChurchHill (S: Gibson Historic Custom BBR7), RKnight (S: Mesa Mark IV), LunatiBSW (S: Wizard MCII) and many more.

Last edited by Wizard of Ozz on Fri, Nov 08, 2019 12:15pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 12:12pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

technomancer wrote:

Not throwing a fit... but I do not like Classic Tone OT or PT models... and I've tried several in several different amps. Not a fan of the sound. Not a SLO fan or owner either... I've owned several Soldano SLOs and I don't like the amp at all. No dog in this hunt. Surprised they did not go with an O-Netics OT/PT.

McDonalds sells millions of burgers every day around the world... that fact doesn't make it a quality product. Just saying.

Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), braintheory (S: Engl SE EL34), ChurchHill (S: Gibson Historic Custom BBR7), RKnight (S: Mesa Mark IV), LunatiBSW (S: Wizard MCII) and many more.

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 1:00pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Devin wrote:

So the most hyped/exclusive component of the circuit has changed...not sure how players will react.

Pricey tho.

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 1:58pm 
Rock God

Wizard of Ozz wrote:
technomancer wrote:

Not throwing a fit... but I do not like Classic Tone OT or PT models... and I've tried several in several different amps. Not a fan of the sound. Not a SLO fan or owner either... I've owned several Soldano SLOs and I don't like the amp at all. No dog in this hunt. Surprised they did not go with an O-Netics OT/PT.

McDonalds sells millions of burgers every day around the world... that fact doesn't make it a quality product. Just saying.

I’ve played 2 SLO clones with Onetics, and the amp sounded like an HR 100. Cool amp but no SLO. Without the ‘hi fi’ DeYoungs, I’ll wait for someone on this forum to buy and try. I’d love for the SLO II to be the real deal though. I did like the Classic Tone trans in the Fortin Cali Ceriatone I had. Big improvement over the stock Ceriatone iron to my ears.

Lexicon PCM 80
Roland SDE 3000 X2
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
Peavey Butcher Cab w/K85s
2009 Charvel USA Candy Plum SoCal
1984 Charvel San Dimas
1985 Ibanez Destroyer

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 2:34pm 
Rock God

Wizard of Ozz wrote:
Bad.Seed wrote:

Of course they are going to say that... what else would they say... "These new Classic Tone DeYoung clone Xformers sound like sh!t and are the best low-priced option we could come up with to keep the cost down in a mass produced amp while maintaining our profit margin"???

Mike Soldano claimed for near 30 years the DeYoung OT/PT were key to the SLO sound and nothing else came close... until now when he sells his business and wants to keep getting a check every month. C'mon man. Call it like it is... you can't have it both ways.

Amen

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 2:50pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Wizard of Ozz wrote:
Bad.Seed wrote:

you need to go back and watch the episode again, Mike never looked for any other transformer because of the relationship he had with the Deyoung Family, so how would he know if there were better out there .
as far as Magnectics components its easy to make judgements if one is not a builder ,
I know Dave from Baron used them and was very happy , I have also seen them in shoot outs between Mercury and Hey boar and they won
just because the suit doesnt say Armani doesn't mean it isn't a better fit for a certain person

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 3:24pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

He may have gotten the designs of the Transformer and given it to classictone. Anyway this amp is too expensive for my pockets unless it comes in close to $3000. Im not gigging these days and my playing wouldnt justify having an expensive 2 channel amp. I would love to play one though. What sets the SLO100 from other brands? Im used to seeing when someone talks about a 3-4k amp they say its handwired or NOS components, or stuff like midi, 3 channels etc. I know that question sounds shitty the way I wrote it but Im actually curious. Seems like for a lot of people this one of the holy grail amps and a lot of modern amps are inspired by it. I've tried Kemper profiles of it but thats not a fair representation of an actual amp.

Solar S1.6

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 3:32pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I cannot justify $3k for an Amp ever tbh. Most of my amps are in my sig, are cheap, but I feel content with what I paid for them.

Rivera K100, K-TRE. Musicman 100RD.
Mesa:, mkIV, Tremoverb, Subway Blues, .22 GEQ.
Fender: 64 Bandmaster, 67 Bandmaster, 72 Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, BF Concert 4x10".
BUILDS: 5F1, 1978X 18 Watt. Modded VJR'S
BUILDS IN PROCESS: AA165, JTM45.

The keepers:
Ibanez Prestige x 5
USA/MIJ Jacksons x 6
Gibsons LP x 3, SG
USA/MIJ Charvel x 4
USA Fender x 4 MIK x 2 MIM x 2
Hofner Semihollows x 3
ESP Eclipse, Horizon

Good deals with: napalmdeath

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 4:13pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

swamptrashstompboxes wrote:
I cannot justify $3k for an Amp ever tbh. Most of my amps are in my sig, are cheap, but I feel content with what I paid for them.

You have a pretty awesome stable. My priorities are shifting a little to where Im not G.A.S.'n as much for new amps as much. I have a 2204 from Ceriatone and a JJ jr. on the way. The Ceriatone was without iron so it was cheap and the JJ jr. is with Zzounds pay as you play. I would like to have a Mesa Mark series though.

Solar S1.6

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 4:27pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I love the Onetics. I have the FourT6and2 SloClone and it sounds KILLER with the O's. I had an '04 SLO and I think this amp is every bit its equal (and quieter for sure).

Romans 9:16
http://www.youtube.com/user/iamrondodson
Friedman BE100, SLO-ish 100
Bogner 2x12 Non-OS (SB M75-65), Bogner Ported 1x12 (SB M75-100), Bogner Ported 1x12 (SB H75-65)
Fender CS '52 Tele, Fender CS '54 60th Anniversary Heavy Relic Strat, Gibson CustShop '64 SG, Charvel Employee Dinky Mutt, several partscasters

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 4:40pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Wizard of Ozz wrote:
technomancer wrote:

O'netics is a very small company so not something you want to rely on to provide product in quantity. Also a bit funny seeing you trash Magnetic Components... aren't you a Recto guy?

Obviously there is marketing spin and they're going to say it is great regardless, but Mike has a pretty long track record of integrity so I'm not going to freak out until I've actually heard an amp.

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 4:51pm 
Rock God

Tried to tune in but my YT just wouldn't load so I gave up. I knew someone would post the goods here lol.

Thanks for posting and cool to hear about the loop and trannys.

"It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission"

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 4:52pm 
Apprentice NOOB

SLO was $1960 direct from mike in 1989, never been cheap. The loop was created for +4 lexicon etc. nobody was putting pedals in a loop in 1989.

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 5:55pm 
Apprentice NOOB

:confused: I was putting delays in the loop of my Laney back in '86.

Anyway, safe bet the new SLO may be a little different but better or worse is subjective. I'm sure people will continue to debate (or fight about) it for the forseeable future.

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 6:20pm 
Rock God

panhead wrote:
SLO was $1960 direct from mike in 1989, never been cheap.

Adjusting for inflation, that's about $4,086 today.

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 6:54pm 
Rock God

ClintN667 wrote:
He may have gotten the designs of the Transformer and given it to classictone. Anyway this amp is too expensive for my pockets unless it comes in close to $3000. Im not gigging these days and my playing wouldnt justify having an expensive 2 channel amp. I would love to play one though. What sets the SLO100 from other brands? Im used to seeing when someone talks about a 3-4k amp they say its handwired or NOS components, or stuff like midi, 3 channels etc. I know that question sounds shitty the way I wrote it but Im actually curious. Seems like for a lot of people this one of the holy grail amps and a lot of modern amps are inspired by it. I've tried Kemper profiles of it but thats not a fair representation of an actual amp.

My way of explaining the 'lure' of an SLO is that it has a similar 'bloom' or 'punch' that few amps have, when some volume is put to it. A Wizard has the same 'holy crap that sounds great!' when you turn it up past 2 or so...VHT Deliverance is another; some great Marshalls too. For the record I wasn't initially 'wowed' by my first SLO; I wasn't sure what the big deal was until I re-eq'd it and put a slight boost in front...through a GB or G12 65 cab with some volume it sounded like a modded Marshall steamroller of awesomeness..and kept getting better and better the more I turned up. Great amp. I had the same experience with both Wizards I had..a 2012 MTL 50 and a 2010 MCI 100w.

Lexicon PCM 80
Roland SDE 3000 X2
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
1984 Charvel San Dimas
1985 Ibanez Destroyer

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 7:09pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Ah ok. I definitely want to try one and the wizards. Maybe one day someone local will have one. I would also love to try a Larry. That's definitely something that doesn't translate with digital representations. Some guys would like to drive a Ferrari before they die I just want to play some high end amps.

Solar S1.6

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 7:20pm 
Supah Stah

I had to laugh how awkward it was for them when asked who made the transformers... Dave was looking like oh shit here it comes and Mike just owned it and spilled the beans... hilarious

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 8:15pm 
Rock God

lespaul6 wrote:
I had to laugh how awkward it was for them when asked who made the transformers... Dave was looking like oh shit here it comes and Mike just owned it and spilled the beans... hilarious

:lol: :LOL:
To be honest though, when that Ceriatone Trans shit the bed I was floored how much better the amp sounded with the Classictone set...I think they were 180 shipped for both back in 2010. 50 bucks to my tech for the install and that Cali mod roared, way way better than before. Like a totally different amp.

Lexicon PCM 80
Roland SDE 3000 X2
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
1984 Charvel San Dimas
1985 Ibanez Destroyer

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 8:29pm 
Supah Stah

Wizard of Ozz wrote:
Bad.Seed wrote:

Yep. Agreed.

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 8:33pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I'll take a late 70's Marshall 2203/2204 over a SLO any day.

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 9:19pm 
Supah Stah

Braciola wrote:

Well yeah....

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 9:20pm 
Supah Stah

Racerxrated wrote:
lespaul6 wrote:

To be honest though, when that Ceriatone Trans shit the bed I was floored how much better the amp sounded with the Classictone set...I think they were 180 shipped for both back in 2010. 50 bucks to my tech for the install and that Cali mod roared, way way better than before. Like a totally different amp.

Seems like everyone is going to them now so they couldnt be that bad right?

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 08, 2019 11:37pm 
Rock God

lespaul6 wrote:
Racerxrated wrote:
lespaul6 wrote:

Seems like everyone is going to them now so they couldnt be that bad right?

My ears told me that they were a big improvement, the tone was almost spot on JCM 800 where before it was kinda dark, low mid heavy. If I needed a transformer for my 82 2204 I wouldn't think twice about using a Classictone.

Lexicon PCM 80
Roland SDE 3000 X2
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
1984 Charvel San Dimas
1985 Ibanez Destroyer

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 09, 2019 7:07am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

psychodave wrote:
Should be under $3k.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 09, 2019 8:27am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Braciola wrote:

I have both. Not the same at all ! I'll keep both for sure... :rock:

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 09, 2019 8:44am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I love me some classictone. By best best price to tone ratio. That said, in circuits that I've built multiples off, I've preferred the Mercury 0100JM. The transformer that was my all time favorite in a high gain circuit was the Metro C1998 Dagnall clone, but I only use one once. I am going to use one in the MCII that I'm building

Mojo 4x12 w/G12H-30s & V30s
1988 Les Paul 1959 Reissue
Chubtone #17
Charvel Satchel

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 09, 2019 8:53am 
Rock God

Jack Luminous wrote:
Braciola wrote:

I have both. Not the same at all ! I'll keep both for sure... :rock:

:rock:
Definitely NOT the same thing, although I set mine up with a boost so it was similar to a modded Marshall.
But, I'd take my 82 2204 over ANY of the previous 10 late 70s JMPs I've owned any day. 504v on the plates make it a BEAST with some volume.

Lexicon PCM 80
Roland SDE 3000 X2
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
1984 Charvel San Dimas
1985 Ibanez Destroyer

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 09, 2019 8:58am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I bet it will be a winner, and good as the original SLO.
But i don't know why all the fuss about this amp; i been around forums for years and it never been an hot topic. The only musician i know using one this days is Warren Haynes...

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 09, 2019 9:09am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

scottosan wrote:
I love me some classictone. By best best price to tone ratio. That said, in circuits that I've built multiples off, I've preferred the Mercury 0100JM. The transformer that was my all time favorite in a high gain circuit was the Metro C1998 Dagnall clone, but I only use one once. I am going to use one in the MCII that I'm building

I will say the Classic Tone NOS C1998 transformers that they did were very good, I've got one in my Aldrich build. It's a shame they didn't make them as a regular production option.

It will be interesting to see how it stacks up to the Heyboer C1998s (identical to the Metro one) I'm using in my current 2 Friedman-ish builds.

Luca79 wrote:
But i don't know why all the fuss about this amp; i been around forums for years and it never been an hot topic. The only musician i know using one this days is Warren Haynes...

Because Mike announced he was retiring and the flippers came out of the woodwork. That and the psychology that as soon as something becomes hard to get it becomes much more desirable.

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 09, 2019 10:44am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Luca79 wrote:

I don't know. I am not one for Mass hype buy any clone or any Soldano varient without the Deyoung has fell short

Mojo 4x12 w/G12H-30s & V30s
1988 Les Paul 1959 Reissue
Chubtone #17
Charvel Satchel

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 09, 2019 11:15am 
Apprentice NOOB

Luca79 wrote:

Because Mike announced he was retiring and the flippers came out of the woodwork. That and the psychology that as soon as something becomes hard to get it becomes much more desirable.[/quote]

I agree. It will be interesting to see how many new SLO's BAD will move. I don't think there was much chatter about Soldano for some time prior to Mike's retirement announcement. How long before something else grabs everyone's attention and the hype subsides?

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 09, 2019 3:25pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Finally some logic!!

I’ve said before and will say again, my SLO clone with O’Netics (and Mallory PVC caps etc) EASILY hangs with the 3 originals I have put it up against. Get the volume to 6 and you get that lift, bloom and crazy harmonics. Shame I can’t do it more often in my studio, as it’s stupid loud.

Rdodson wrote:
I love the Onetics. I have the FourT6and2 SloClone and it sounds KILLER with the O's. I had an '04 SLO and I think this amp is every bit its equal (and quieter for sure).

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 09, 2019 4:16pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

put me down for the 30 watt...

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 09, 2019 4:26pm 
Rock God

psychodave wrote:
Should be under $3k.

No doubt. I’ve been stoked on the Bogner Helios amps I’ve been able to try but at 3k+ it’s just not feasible.

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 09, 2019 6:13pm 
Supah Stah

I understood that the new Magnetic Component’s SLO transformer is going to be a new model which is somewhat of a DeYoung clone so discussing current MC/Classictone trannies in the context of the new SLO is useless.