Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Tue, Aug 04, 2020 9:31pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 6:54pm 
Rock God

Are you human?: 951
I have a Buxom Boost I love, and have had several Savage Drives. What else is out there that has Eq/tweakability? Been looking at the Xotic BB.. Thoughts?

I'm boosting a Splawn, and have several other OD's. My old, trusty Zakk Wylde OD does REALLY well with it, but it adds a bit of high end fizz, which is why I've considered an old SD-1, but felt it might yield the same results. The Splawn, (along with Greenbacks), has plenty of mids, so TS variants aren't really ideal, either. I already have a GT-OD, and Hardwire CM-2. The CM-2 is a great pedal, but too smooth/polite. I keep the GT-OD around too, it's also a great pedal with other amps.

Looking for something very aggressive/angry, and prefer some EQ/tweakability..

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 7:06pm 
Supah Stah

Suhr Eclipse is two identical circuits with a global voicing knob and each side has B/M/T controls. I have been loving that one recently. Set one side for stun and the other for kill!

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 7:09pm 
Supah Stah

I like my BB. Solid bang for the buck. But other than the Timmy, TS and varients of, MI Audio Blues Pro, various other pedals, but nothing overly new or popular, but I always go back to the Timmy and my trusty fulltone fd-2 mosfet. Which is where I started. The Bb is earning its way in the lineup me thinks. Not a ton of money, but the fd-2 is my go to.

FRAMUS Dragon
FRYETTE Sig:X.
MESA:, mkIVb, Tremoverb, Subway Blues, and .22 GEQ.
MUSICMAN 100RD.
ORANGE Rockerverb 50mki.
RIVERA K100 and K-TRE.
SPLAWN: Promod, Nitro KT88 and Supersport 6V6.
[BUILDS]: 5F1, JTM45, 1974x

IN PROCESS: AB165. AA763 Bandmaster.

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 7:12pm 
Rock God

swamptrashstompboxes wrote:
I like my BB. Solid bang for the buck. But other than the Timmy, TS and varients of, MI Audio Blues Pro, various other pedals, but nothing overly new or popular, but I always go back to the Timmy and my trusty fulltone fd-2 mosfet. Which is where I started. The Bb is earning its way in the lineup me thinks. Not a ton of money, but the fd-2 is my go to.

FD-2 has been on my radar as well. Dont care for the Timmy, need something a little grittier.

Are you boosting any Splawns with the BB? FD-2?

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 7:21pm 
Rock God

Not an EQ per se, but the KH/DK Ghoul has some adjustment toggles the make it REALLY versatile. I like mine a lot.

Gear Demos from a Guy Who Loves Gear!!!

Check out "Dunky's N' Demos at:

https://dunkysndemos.com
https://www.youtube.com/c/JeremyVarao

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 7:28pm 
Rock God

JerEvil wrote:
Not an EQ per se, but the KH/DK Ghoul has some adjustment toggles the make it REALLY versatile. I like mine a lot.

I bought one when they were on sale for $99. I found it kinda... Meh... Better than a TS-9, for sure, but I wasn't blown away. For a TS-9 variant, I really dug the Cusack Screamer.

I'm wondering if an OD808X wouldn't be worth a go. I'm under the impression the mid hump is relaxed a bit, and its very aggressive.

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 7:53pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I have a Lovepedal Eternity that adds a nice snarl to anything. The Strymon Riverside has a lot of range, mild to angry, smooth to sizzle, it’sa great pedal but pricey.

gtkdev on TGP​

Good deals with Green Pro Am, Holy-Diver, Blessedadversary777, Adam of Angels, Base341, bwgintegra ...

http://ashenreign.com

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 7:57pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

The MXR M77 BAOD is pretty aggressive. Kind of like a SD-1 with a bass control, and a mid shift. In the same family, I also like the Way Huge Green Rhino. If you can solder, the BYOC Green Pony is cool also. I have been using mine more lately. It you really want aggressive, use a Metal Zone to boost, ala Crowbar, Cannibal Corpse. :)

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 8:01pm 
Journeyman NOOB

The Naked OD can get pretty agressive and it doesn’t color the tone of your amp.

13' Gibson LP Traditional Pro II Vintageburst
13' Gibson SG 70's Tribute
16' Gibson LP Classic Honeyburst
18' Gibson LP Studio Dax & Co Goldtop

Friedman JJ jr
Friedman PT20
Mesa Boogie Mark Five 25
Orange OR15
Marshall DSL1H
Randall RD1

Sourmash 2061CX
Orange PPC410

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 8:04pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Shask wrote:
The MXR M77 BAOD is pretty aggressive

Another great OD that doesn’t get much love!

13' Gibson LP Traditional Pro II Vintageburst
13' Gibson SG 70's Tribute
16' Gibson LP Classic Honeyburst
18' Gibson LP Studio Dax & Co Goldtop

Friedman JJ jr
Friedman PT20
Mesa Boogie Mark Five 25
Orange OR15
Marshall DSL1H
Randall RD1

Sourmash 2061CX
Orange PPC410

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 8:06pm 
Rock God

acidvoodoo wrote:
Shask wrote:

I just sold one. I couldn't find a balance between thin and woofy.

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 8:15pm 
Rock God

napalmdeath wrote:
JerEvil wrote:

I bought one when they were on sale for $99. I found it kinda... Meh... Better than a TS-9, for sure, but I wasn't blown away. For a TS-9 variant, I really dug the Cusack Screamer.

I'm wondering if an OD808X wouldn't be worth a go. I'm under the impression the mid hump is relaxed a bit, and its very aggressive.

808X is a KILLER pedal. Reminds me that I need another one! LOL!

Gear Demos from a Guy Who Loves Gear!!!

Check out "Dunky's N' Demos at:

https://dunkysndemos.com
https://www.youtube.com/c/JeremyVarao

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 8:28pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

napalmdeath wrote:
acidvoodoo wrote:
Shask wrote:

I just sold one. I couldn't find a balance between thin and woofy.

You could try some distortion pedals also. Pedals based on the Marshall Guv'nor, and Rat are usually pretty good aggressive boosters when ran with low gain. I recently got a DOD 250 Preamp that is pretty transparent and aggressive.

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 8:51pm 
Supah Stah

napalmdeath wrote:
swamptrashstompboxes wrote:

FD-2 has been on my radar as well. Dont care for the Timmy, need something a little grittier.

Are you boosting any Splawns with the BB? FD-2?

I have not tried the Splawn with the BB. It likes the fd-2 for me anyways. I own three. Paid between $50 and $60 for them. They are a flexible boost. I can use them with a twin a bassman or a Splawn and have solid results.

FRAMUS Dragon
MUSICMAN 100RD.
ORANGE Rockerverb 50mki.
RIVERA K100 and K-TRE.

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 8:53pm 
Supah Stah

I built an echoplex preamp that absolutely kills, but it's really basic. Adds that little bit of livelilness and a hair of grit.

FRAMUS Dragon
MUSICMAN 100RD.
ORANGE Rockerverb 50mki.
RIVERA K100 and K-TRE.

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 10:46pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

KSR just started taking preorders for an Overdrive with an EQ. The description to me sounds like its like the Buxom Boost but you can add distortion to it. Its still 2 months away.

I absolutely loved the Friedman Buxom Boost with the Splawns I had. Those two just went together perfectly

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 11:18pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I just ordered the tight series preamp from Airis Effects. I'll keep you posted. From the clips I have heard, it sounds like it might be what you are looking for.

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 15, 2020 7:26am 
Rock God

ZR4400 wrote:
I just ordered the tight series preamp from Airis Effects. I'll keep you posted. From the clips I have heard, it sounds like it might be what you are looking for.

Had one, again, a big meh....

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 15, 2020 8:45am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

ClintN667 wrote:
KSR just started taking preorders for an Overdrive with an EQ. The description to me sounds like its like the Buxom Boost but you can add distortion to it. Its still 2 months away.

I absolutely loved the Friedman Buxom Boost with the Splawns I had. Those two just went together perfectly

I preordered mine. I'm really looking forward to this one.

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 15, 2020 9:13am 
Supah Stah

I have an interesting one. A pigtronix polysaturator. 3 band, volume and gain. EQ is +/-15db. I still don't know how I feel about it tbh. But it is flexible. Paid $40. Worth a crack for $40

FRAMUS Dragon
MUSICMAN 100RD.
ORANGE Rockerverb 50mki.
RIVERA K100 and K-TRE.

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 15, 2020 10:00am 
Rock God

I would just keep a bunch of OD around, tastes change all the time. Cycle them in and out! How about the cheap option? Get an EQ pedal and stack it with a neutral OD and shape and boost to your heart's content. There is no one pedal to rule them all so let all of them rule you.

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 15, 2020 10:13am 
Rock God

fek wrote:
Suhr Eclipse is two identical circuits with a global voicing knob and each side has B/M/T controls. I have been loving that one recently. Set one side for stun and the other for kill!

Hey fek , do you use it as standalone or do you boost an already hot amp with it? How does it stack on amp distortion?

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 15, 2020 10:24am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Kapo_Polenton wrote:
I would just keep a bunch of OD around, tastes change all the time. Cycle them in and out! How about the cheap option? Get an EQ pedal and stack it with a neutral OD and shape and boost to your heart's content. There is no one pedal to rule them all so let all of them rule you.

This ^ , get an Exactone modded Boss GE-7, so many tones possible and their mod is super quiet..

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 15, 2020 10:57am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Kapo_Polenton wrote:

Yep. I agree on both points. I think I have something like 20 OD pedals. I just switch things around from time to time because I always want something different. It is worth it to keep them around. Different amps react differently to different boosts also.

Also, yes on the EQ pedal. The most powerful boost is to using something like an OD808 and GE-7 together. Treat the pair as a single pedal.

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 15, 2020 1:21pm 
Rock God

Shask wrote:
Kapo_Polenton wrote:

Yep. I agree on both points. I think I have something like 20 OD pedals. I just switch things around from time to time because I always want something different. It is worth it to keep them around. Different amps react differently to different boosts also.

Also, yes on the EQ pedal. The most powerful boost is to using something like an OD808 and GE-7 together. Treat the pair as a single pedal.

Even my slightly noisy stock GE-7 with a dead led does the trick for me. There is something gritty about it that I really dig for boosting. Set it with a slight mid notch and it really kicks a Marshall at high volumes into some nice 80's crunch. Throw an SD-1 or TS variant on top and you go even greasier. These pedals were staples back in the 80's for a reason. It was almost easier to have less options just so you would get creative. As most of the tones we love are really post production, EQ and the flavour that EQ imparted is also a very big part of the tones we like. What about the Tech 21 Qstrip? Maybe/Maybe not furmanish but it will crunch your amp up nicely.

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 15, 2020 1:23pm 
Rock God

Kapo_Polenton wrote:
Shask wrote:
Kapo_Polenton wrote:

Even my slightly noisy stock GE-7 with a dead led does the trick for me. There is something gritty about it that I really dig for boosting. Set it with a slight mid notch and it really kicks a Marshall at high volumes into some nice 80's crunch. Throw an SD-1 or TS variant on top and you go even greasier. These pedals were staples back in the 80's for a reason. It was almost easier to have less options just so you would get creative. As most of the tones we love are really post production, EQ and the flavour that EQ imparted is also a very big part of the tones we like. What about the Tech 21 Qstrip? Maybe/Maybe not furmanish but it will crunch your amp up nicely.

Agreed, I think I'll pick up an MXR 6-band and couple it with the ZW-44. I'll lower the fizz sliders.

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 15, 2020 1:53pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Hey Napalm - have you tried the rockaway archer? I haven’t been able to find any metal clips of it but the overdrive + 6 band EQ looks interesting

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 15, 2020 1:54pm 
Rock God

Inearthed wrote:
Hey Napalm - have you tried the rockaway archer? I haven’t been able to find any metal clips of it but the overdrive + 6 band EQ looks interesting

I actually eyeballed one that was in the Classifieds a few weeks ago. Should a jumped on it!

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 15, 2020 4:28pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

If you wanna get really crazy there is the Sine Effect MegaPara - it's not an overdrive per se but can definitely be used as a boost.

|Alexander, Effectrode, Pigtronix, and Wampler FX|