Dunky’s N' Demos Winter NAMM 2020 video thread!

tstern66":249xb1rd said:
braintheory":249xb1rd said:
mhenson42":249xb1rd said:
Great videos! I agree about the cleans....ZFG. If I could buy just single channel amps without clean channels for less $ I'd be happy.

Now I have GAS for the Omega and Driftwood on top of the EP!. Did you get any videos of the Dover amps?
I used to own a Driftwood Purple Nightmare. Honestly, I thought it was just ok to decent sounding and it got completely smoked by things like my iic+, modded Marshall’s and Wizard. It sounded polite and restrained in comparison to those amps and not as big sounding. I can see though it recording well since it had a pretty balanced voicing from what I remember, but I don’t think it would hold up too well next to your amps. I can guarantee you that your wizards will sound way bigger, more raw and move lots more air

My friend has an Omega Obsidian, so I’ve tried that a bunch of times, but haven’t tried the other one from that video. I thought it was a very nice amp overall, especially in its range price range, but again my iic+ and 2 Cameron modded Marshall’s were at least 2 leagues above it when compared side by side. It again sounded filtered/sterile in comparison, not as big/wide, lively, raw or growly/pissed as my amps in comparison. It was tight for sure, but there are tighter amps out there still. I think guys who like the Fryette stuff may like it a lot because it has also a tight and dry thing going on and some similarities in feel, but for me it was a pass, too sterile/filtered, kinda like having a juice from concentrate rather than fresh squeezed. Just my 2 cents though, not trying to be a party pooper or kill the hype, just my opinion. Others may not agree, but I think side by side comparisons can reveal a lot and imo are more telling than just hearing an amp sound great in isolation

The amps from NAMM I’m curious about are the Friedman Jake E Lee and Fortin’s, but my expectation is still that I still won’t like them as much as my all time favorite high gainers. It’s nice to finally see a Friedman that could have that more upper middy Marshall quality

I agree about the Driftwood. I just sold mine that I had for only a short time due to getting a Gower Killer Kali. The Driftwood sounded like a toy in comparison. I also recently got a Mark iii blue stripe and that thing just destroys any newer amp I’ve owned. I really wanted to like my Driftwood, but it just couldn’t hang with the other amps I have, so I sent it packing.

The only boutique builder I’m interested in now is KSR. They seem to be the real deal.

Also, why is the new Fortin stuff so much cheaper now?
Looks like we had very similar amps that sent the Driftwood packing. For me, it was a Gower Rockmonster and Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+ HRG, although I sold the Rockmonster not long after. I think that toy like quality you’re referring to is what I mean when I say how most amps made today sound filtered/organic compared to older amps. The Omega and Fortin stuff I’ve tried sounds every bit as toy like and if you listen for it, you can also hear it in the clips. The Dover, on the other hand, I didn’t really notice that and just sounded very good to me

The KSR Gemini I had, I for sure preferred to the Driftwood, but again not the most organic sounding amp and I felt my modded Marshall’s I had, including the Gower, sounded a lot better and more lively. I don’t think the KSR stuff would last long with the stuff you’ve got. I also had way too many amps to count that got sent packing fast from my mark iic+. The Mark III are also great

The only recent made high gain amps I’m keeping for now are my Wizard MTL and Cameron CCV. They’re still not my all time favorites honestly, but have certain unique tonal qualities that made them stay a while. The only current high gain makers on my radar now is just Larry, Dover and somewhat curious about the new Jake E Lee Friedman, but doubt it’ll really hold its own against a good older Marshall (modded or stock)

JerEvil":384p9snn said:
tstern66":384p9snn said:
braintheory":384p9snn said:
mhenson42":384p9snn said:
Great videos! I agree about the cleans....ZFG. If I could buy just single channel amps without clean channels for less $ I'd be happy.

Now I have GAS for the Omega and Driftwood on top of the EP!. Did you get any videos of the Dover amps?
I used to own a Driftwood Purple Nightmare. Honestly, I thought it was just ok to decent sounding and it got completely smoked by things like my iic+, modded Marshall’s and Wizard. It sounded polite and restrained in comparison to those amps and not as big sounding. I can see though it recording well since it had a pretty balanced voicing from what I remember, but I don’t think it would hold up too well next to your amps. I can guarantee you that your wizards will sound way bigger, more raw and move lots more air

My friend has an Omega Obsidian, so I’ve tried that a bunch of times, but haven’t tried the other one from that video. I thought it was a very nice amp overall, especially in its range price range, but again my iic+ and 2 Cameron modded Marshall’s were at least 2 leagues above it when compared side by side. It again sounded filtered/sterile in comparison, not as big/wide, lively, raw or growly/pissed as my amps in comparison. It was tight for sure, but there are tighter amps out there still. I think guys who like the Fryette stuff may like it a lot because it has also a tight and dry thing going on and some similarities in feel, but for me it was a pass, too sterile/filtered, kinda like having a juice from concentrate rather than fresh squeezed. Just my 2 cents though, not trying to be a party pooper or kill the hype, just my opinion. Others may not agree, but I think side by side comparisons can reveal a lot and imo are more telling than just hearing an amp sound great in isolation

The amps from NAMM I’m curious about are the Friedman Jake E Lee and Fortin’s, but my expectation is still that I still won’t like them as much as my all time favorite high gainers. It’s nice to finally see a Friedman that could have that more upper middy Marshall quality

I agree about the Driftwood. I just sold mine that I had for only a short time due to getting a Gower Killer Kali. The Driftwood sounded like a toy in comparison. I also recently got a Mark iii blue stripe and that thing just destroys any newer amp I’ve owned. I really wanted to like my Driftwood, but it just couldn’t hang with the other amps I have, so I sent it packing.

The only boutique builder I’m interested in now is KSR. They seem to be the real deal.

I am doing some vids for my Gemini. The amp is killer. I think Mike has likely worked out a better production deal for some of the newer stuff. And no, it's not going to be made in China as best I can tell. At the end of the day, people need to be competitive even if priced on the higher side of things.

He said in a Facebook AMA yesterday that the EP and the Sigil are both being made in the UK

DeathbyButterslax":2aiitnxn said:
JerEvil":2aiitnxn said:
tstern66":2aiitnxn said:
braintheory":2aiitnxn said:
mhenson42":2aiitnxn said:

I am doing some vids for my Gemini. The amp is killer. I think Mike has likely worked out a better production deal for some of the newer stuff. And no, it's not going to be made in China as best I can tell. At the end of the day, people need to be competitive even if priced on the higher side of things.

He said in a Facebook AMA yesterday that the EP and the Sigil are both being made in the UK
I don't know the first thing about cost and production but I think this is a perfect price point in comparison to the others.

Cheaper than the Bogner and Friedman, slightly more than the Marshalls. The PRS doesn't count.

$1,200 is just right IMO for a badass 20w amp. I would not mind seeing a 50w for $1,500 however.

maddnotez":3s7cf19k said:
DeathbyButterslax":3s7cf19k said:
JerEvil":3s7cf19k said:
tstern66":3s7cf19k said:
braintheory":3s7cf19k said:
mhenson42":3s7cf19k said:

I don't know the first thing about cost and production but I think this is a perfect price point in comparison to the others.

Cheaper than the Bogner and Friedman, slightly more than the Marshalls. The PRS doesn't count.

$1,200 is just right IMO for a badass 20w amp. I would not mind seeing a 50w for $1,500 however.

I agree, it’s comparable with Mesa Boogie as well. I hope it doesn’t disappoint, far the clips are good on both amps

Dover sounds pretty good!! Are they open sounding or more of the diode clipping, shit ton of gain in those clips. Dude was like talking!!! Damn , can we get another demo without the morning java? Lol just kidding of course I know hes promotion bound sonit is necessary. Thanks for posting!!!!!

Junk Yard Dog":3k8dp947 said:
The Dover Amps sounded pretty damn good.

Beandust":3k8dp947 said:
Dover sounds pretty good!! Are they open sounding or more of the diode clipping, shit ton of gain in those clips. Dude was like talking!!! Damn , can we get another demo without the morning java? Lol just kidding of course I know hes promotion bound sonit is necessary. Thanks for posting!!!!!

Thanks guys. Yeah the Dover stuff is definitely open sounding. I was really impressed with them for the time I had there.

Damn, those Dovers are killer. I like the 20w but the white was really cool because it was so unique.

That name wasnt the best idea imo but hey, they sound great.

Jer you win the internet again 2 time reigning champ. Thanks for putting in all this work man your videos are the best for sure.

swamptrashstompboxes":2xjr4xwt said:
turtlefingers":2xjr4xwt said:
Nice vídeos but I would appreciate it more if it shows the amplifiers specs as the knobs functions, MIDI, loop...
Since some of them has clean channel why not play thru them too and not just the Chugga Chugga?

We don't use clean channels here. Lol. The rest of the stuff you can Google. From people I know in real life who have gone to NAMM say its run and gun.

Jer, great stuff. :cheers:
TBH, i've always been an advocate for a dual channel stuff but i haven't even switched on the clean channel of my amp for over a year. :rock:

Might be a time to switch to a single channel head.

Thunkful":3djq9jll said:
swamptrashstompboxes":3djq9jll said:
turtlefingers":3djq9jll said:
Nice vídeos but I would appreciate it more if it shows the amplifiers specs as the knobs functions, MIDI, loop...
Since some of them has clean channel why not play thru them too and not just the Chugga Chugga?

We don't use clean channels here. Lol. The rest of the stuff you can Google. From people I know in real life who have gone to NAMM say its run and gun.

TBH, i've always been an advocate for a dual channel stuff but i haven't even switched on the clean channel of my amp for over a year. :rock:

That is me too. Lol

Or I flip back and forth from gain one and gain two.

Thunkful":38lxm2sf said:
swamptrashstompboxes":38lxm2sf said:
turtlefingers":38lxm2sf said:

Yeah I have 2 amps with really good clean channels I never use. I can count on one hand how many times I’ve been in a band where I needed a clean channel. Not to say amps do need them. My amps just don’t. They happen to have them.

hatrick00":2fojqml2 said:
JerEvil":2fojqml2 said:
KSR Compact Power Amp vid added.
great job man, that sounded really good :rawk:
Hey thanks! Honestly if I were in the KSR market, I’d get the 50 watt guy and Ceres. Cheaper than an Ares head and 3 channels.

What's the argument for the KSR power amp over the similarly priced Fryette Power Station? The KSR has options for different tubes and switches and such, so maybe that's the reason. But the Fryette sounds pretty darn good on its own, and has the load box if you ever needed it.

cardinal":10u3yu04 said:
What's the argument for the KSR power amp over the similarly priced Fryette Power Station? The KSR has options for different tubes and switches and such, so maybe that's the reason. But the Fryette sounds pretty darn good on its own, and has the load box if you ever needed it.
I didn't like the attenuator on my PS to be honest. LOVED it as a power amp but the form function of either not racking it was a pain as it's big and heavy, then racking one thing didn't;t make sense because I had the Kemper toastier. The box+handle design of the KSR I like better.

I think it's just what form factor you like better. Both are great power amps.

Gonna agree on the Dover, man that thing sounded fantastic. IMO the best of the bunch "based" on the clips. Very interested.

DeathbyButterslax":3oxanyzj said:
Has anyone had the opportunity to obtain a granophyre or Dover since then? I am curious about the Omega
Not it! Lol! The Omega stuff is high in my GAS list though. Just had the owner on my livestream on Monday. Seems like they have some interesting stuff in the works. 50 watt head, preamps, etc.

Back