Do I really want a Line 6 Helix?

peckhart

I find myself looking at the Line 6 Helix, LT, Stomp and HX Effects units contemplating a purchase. I have an HD500 that I mainly use at rehearsals when I don't want to take a full board, but I find the effects aren't that great.

I have no intention to move away from my tube amps for my main tones. Instead, I like the idea of 4CM with the ability to put effects I want in front of or after the preamp. The occassional dabble into some models of amps I don't have for something different is appealing for home use, but that would be Helix model preamp into the power amp of one of my amps.
I tend to not use many effects live. My main board is a volume pedal, Shure DLX wireless receiver, wah, tuner, Whammy V, phaser and talk box in front and a Decimator and EQ/boost in the loop. I have some boosts and a delay and flanger on the old Furman board I moved away from a few years ago and use that at home sometimes or for an occassional pickup jam. I have everything on a Trailer Trash board and while I love the board, it is too big and heavy and I'm tired of hauling it.
So I'm thinking of how I can consolidate. I could be ok with ditching the wireless and going cable right into a floor board. The talk box is an issue though as I would need to keep it and set it next to the unit. Then there is the issue of expression pedals...I like to always have a volume pedal in front of my chain. I would have to add another to the Helix or LT to assign either whammy or wah duties. I've also grown accustomed to using the tuner out of my Volume pedal so that to silent tune I just heel back, but while I am playing the tuner is tracking as well. I can often see when strings are off while I am playing...like a low E going flat after a big bar dive that I think I hear and the tuner confirms and I can quickly tune up on the fly.
There is really no way to totally replicate what I have on my board in a single unit.

Another part of the consideration is backup amp. Currently I drag two tube heads to shows. Helix could cover backup duties with some presets built with amp models to use in a pinch.

I think the HX Effects or Stomp would leave me wanting more control at times. Knowing the Helix or LT has it will annoy me that I didn't just go all in. While I don't need the additional inputs/outputs of the Helix, I feel like the loss of the scribble strips is a big compromise.
Purchasing one of these probably makes no sense yet I still keep thinking about doing it. Am I missing something in my thinking?

seriously its a legit piece of gear. i wasn't going to type the same response as i did to this thread on tgp but you should def buy one, i doubt you would regret it.

fwiw, I had a Line 6 Effects and a Fractal fx8. The fx8 was way quieter and the effects seemed better as well. In fact, I dumped that line 6 effects within days- I hated it so much I wonder if it was defective. Regardless, the fx8 is likely cheaper but won't give you the backup amp. Something to chew on

sleewell2":3p3za47z said:
seriously its a legit piece of gear. i wasn't going to type the same response as i did to this thread on tgp but you should def buy one, i doubt you would regret it.

Why did you go LT?

The stomp and fx had not been released yet when I got mine. I didn't need the floor and found a sweet deal on the LT so I bought it used just to try it and ended up loving it.

But I wouldn't trade it for the smaller ones, I like having an all in one package.

It teaches you how to eq and let's you quickly figure out if you like certain things in different parts of your signal chain.

Now though the tweaking is done. I have patches for home and live and for each guitar. I just show up, plug in and play. Minor adjustments you'd do w pedals are super easy w the big screen.

I think the POD Go will cover what you want out of the Helix, and it will only cost $450. Worth waiting a couple months for.

indespise":289xkz2y said:
I think the POD Go will cover what you want out of the Helix, and it will only cost $450. Worth waiting a couple months for.

It doesn't have midi though and I'm liking the ability to control my TC-100 with the effect unit, which I am doing now with my HD500.

If your using a TC 100 HX effects would be ample for your needs IMHO

I have a full helix, AX8 and an FX8

The helix is huge and over kill if your using an amp as your main tone

When I want to record direct I always use the AX8. Full helix has been in its box since June. I probably need to just sell it

Helix is a great unit! I used one a few years back only with 4cm for the effects. I ended up selling both it and the amp to fund something else. For the year that I used it live, it worked very well. Kind of wish I kept that entire setup as it was solid.

I didn't get all that much into the models on the Helix back then. Recently, I started using my copy of Helix native that I purchased a couple of years back and it really is awesome. I ended up picking up a used Helix Rack and Control to live regularly. I use it with the new powercab 212+ and it has plenty of thump and volume for any gig. I got a chance to try it out on Saturday night at a small club that we played and it really worked great. Seriously great rig that is easy to use and light weight to take around with a minimal setup time.

I currently use my Helix for fx only in 4cm with my tube amps. I don't look at it is overkill at all. I'd rather have it and not need it than the opposite. For example, I was also bringing two amps to every gig. I just recently created some "backup" presets with amp sims that are passable approximations of what I'm used to. And if we pick up a song that needs a special effect, it's likely in there. I don't have to futz with buying a new pedal and integrating it on my pedalboard or trying to figure out what has to go so I can use it.

The cool thing about the treadle on the Helix is it pulls double-duty. On most of my patches it's a volume and a wah (when the toe switch is engaged). I have a few presets where I replace vol or wah with a whammy or some other effect that needs the pedal (delay swells and whatnot).

For my needs, it's perfect in every way and I can't recommend it enough. It's completely transparent and quiet in 4cm, integrates perfectly with my tube amps, is incredibly easy to use and sounds fantastic.

sleewell2":rf92arzi said:
when they added the revv amp sim that changed a lot for me. its soooooooooooooooo good.

The other guitarist in my band just brought his Helix LT and FRFR cab to rehearsal (he usually has a different rig). It sounded so good, I had to ask him what model he was using. Revv.

Sounds like I need to check that model out. :rock:

Kevin11":7r4m2oca said:
I currently use my Helix for fx only in 4cm with my tube amps. I don't look at it is overkill at all. I'd rather have it and not need it than the opposite. For example, I was also bringing two amps to every gig. I just recently created some "backup" presets with amp sims that are passable approximations of what I'm used to. And if we pick up a song that needs a special effect, it's likely in there. I don't have to futz with buying a new pedal and integrating it on my pedalboard or trying to figure out what has to go so I can use it.

The cool thing about the treadle on the Helix is it pulls double-duty. On most of my patches it's a volume and a wah (when the toe switch is engaged). I have a few presets where I replace vol or wah with a whammy or some other effect that needs the pedal (delay swells and whatnot).

For my needs, it's perfect in every way and I can't recommend it enough. It's completely transparent and quiet in 4cm, integrates perfectly with my tube amps, is incredibly easy to use and sounds fantastic.

It seems you and I have been down a lot of similar paths with gear. Thanks for chiming in on this as well.
Your practical experience here is exactly what I am seeing for myself with this venture.
Only difference I can see is with the expression pedal. I used to fight with my Original version Dunlop wah to get it on and off smoothly. Haven't used the Exp1/Exp2 much on my HD500 but when I have just at home I felt like it clicked kinda hard. I have gotten so used to auto on/off that for live use I'll never go back.
I am thinking I could make use of snapshots to have the only difference between a few snapshots be what is active and ready to turn at the movement of the pedal. Like snapshot 1 volume, 2 wah, 3 whammy. Easy to change snapshot to be ready with the pedal function I need in a given song.

Man I was a huge Helix shit talker at launch. I was on the Kemper. Once 2.0FW came out I changed my tune. Got the LT on a whim and LOVED it. Sold that and got the full Floor and also have the Stomp and Rack. I think it's a fantastic platform (obviously). They showed at NAMM that there WILL be more blocks opened up on the Stomp from 6 to 8. So if you need the smaller footprint, the Stomp will work. The LT is an excellent piece of gear and can be had fairly priced used.

peckhart":3tqspc7p said:
Only difference I can see is with the expression pedal. I used to fight with my Original version Dunlop wah to get it on and off smoothly. Haven't used the Exp1/Exp2 much on my HD500 but when I have just at home I felt like it clicked kinda hard. I have gotten so used to auto on/off that for live use I'll never go back.

I am thinking I could make use of snapshots to have the only difference between a few snapshots be what is active and ready to turn at the movement of the pedal. Like snapshot 1 volume, 2 wah, 3 whammy. Easy to change snapshot to be ready with the pedal function I need in a given song.

One of the few gripes I have is the expression pedal toe switch. You really have to put some weight on it. On the other hand, if they changed it, you'd have people complaining that it switches when they don't want it to. :LOL: :LOL:

I haven't set up snapshots yet, but that's my next adventure with it. There are a few effect-heavy spots in our live sets where it would just be way easier to switch things in and out via snapshots.

JerEvil":1fk6ccjn said:
Man I was a huge Helix shit talker at launch. I was on the Kemper. Once 2.0FW came out I changed my tune. Got the LT on a whim and LOVED it. Sold that and got the full Floor and also have the Stomp and Rack. I think it's a fantastic platform (obviously). They showed at NAMM that there WILL be more blocks opened up on the Stomp from 6 to 8. So if you need the smaller footprint, the Stomp will work. The LT is an excellent piece of gear and can be had fairly priced used.

You have/had some very nice tube amps and know how to make them sound great. Do you use the modeller portion of the Helix and if so what do you think of the tones you get?

Back