Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Thu, Oct 29, 2020 8:57pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 17, 2020 10:15pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Are you human?: 951
I sometimes get so excited about a particular piece of gear that I over pay a bit. Doesn't happen too often but every once in awhile it does because I'm impulsive and I immediately regret it. The item hasn't even shipped and I beat myself up because I perceive myself to have over paid. Kinda puts a damper on the NGD.

What does getting overly excited about new gear make you do? Lie to the wife? Get a second job at burger king? Or are you always in full self control?

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 17, 2020 11:51pm 
Plank Cranker

I say don't sweat it. Money's an illusion anyway. If you want money, you'll have money. You want gear and sometimes you do pay too much and have regrets but you like gear more than you like money or you wouldn't part with your money for anything, let alone gear.

You did the right thing, now forget about over-paying, that's not important in the grand scheme of life of a gear lover. If you were a money loving loser, you would not be here on this forum. Mmmmmm, gear. I like gear.

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 18, 2020 12:00am 
Supah Stah

I scratch my head and try to figure out which guitar to sell to pay for the new one.

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 18, 2020 2:18am 
Supah Stah

I have a tradition of buying some crap to eat.

Having had to live on rabbit food for several decades due to health challenges, even plain fries are a treat for my taste buds, but when I buy something physical gear-wise (not software), I love to celebrate with a burger or some canned tuna & mayo on a bread roll or somethin'.

It "solidifies" the transaction for me, and makes it all-the-more worthwhile. It's the ultimate excuse to eat some crap. :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 18, 2020 4:44am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

canned tuna & mayo on a bread roll sounds delicious to me ! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 18, 2020 6:22am 
Supah Stah

My girlfriend(at the time)and myself bought first class tickets on Virgin airlines and took a long weekend vacation just to buy a guitar amp. One of the best times of my adult life.

I used to get my trucking company to run me thru Tampa Florida at least once a year so I could attend the Dean guitars DOA party and pickup my custom ordered guitars in person...and drink like a fish with other members.

I have bought countless amps at truck stops or on the side of the interstate,having made the arrangements both online and on the phone from members of forums or off craigslist. Can't even remember all the times I had to sleep with a 4x12 or other speaker cabs and amp heads in my sleeper berth. I left a DOA party in Tampa with a whole Randall X2 Warhead stack(with amp)and 4 guitars in my Freightliner truck.

Every time I did stuff like this i was super excited. Now,not so much. Last time I was excited was when I got a killer deal local from a bro on a dream guitar a year ago. Now I get excited when I don't spend money on gear. It's nice having money in savings at this time.

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 18, 2020 7:04am 
Supah Stah

Jack Luminous wrote:
canned tuna & mayo on a bread roll sounds delicious to me ! :thumbsup:

Ha! It's practically-gourmet to my flavour-starved taste buds, Jack. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 18, 2020 9:40am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I've definitely left work early to mess with new gear. Told my boss, I have a really expensive package that got delivered early and I don't want it to on the porch unprotected. Worked just fine.

One time, I also found 2 gibson sg standards for under $500 each on the same day. I didn't have the money to buy both at the time, so I worked out a deal with my local music store who I have a great relationship with, to "buy" my gibson les paul off of me, just to let me buy it back for $50 more the next week after I got paid. This gave me to money to buy both sgs. I kept the one sg for 5 years and sold it a few months ago for $900. The other sg kinda sucked and i got a jcm 900 slx and $500 in trade for it. I sold the slx for $750 a couple months later.

I'd say it worked out ok.

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 18, 2020 10:06am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Metlupass2 wrote:
I scratch my head and try to figure out which guitar to sell to pay for the new one.

I don't regret the guitar or need to sell something to offset the cost, more so, I regret the amount of $$ I paid for it. In hindsight, while it's a model that doesn't come up for sale all that often, if I were patient, I probably could have saved $300-$400.

Strangely, I LOVE getting a great deal on a piece of gear that I've been after, to the point that I can become obsessive; though I neverwant folks I'm dealing with to feel like their getting worked over. We're all in this gear whore business together; at least those of us who actually play the gear and metaphorically we should be sticking together. Those that solely flip; couldn't care less about.

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 18, 2020 10:07am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Monkey Man wrote:

Having had to live on rabbit food for several decades due to health challenges, even plain fries are a treat for my taste buds, but when I buy something physical gear-wise (not software), I love to celebrate with a burger or some canned tuna & mayo on a bread roll or somethin'.

It "solidifies" the transaction for me, and makes it all-the-more worthwhile. It's the ultimate excuse to eat some crap. :lol: :LOL:

Tuna and Mayo on a bread roll sounds fantastic right now. Strange thing for me to crave at 10am, so thanks for that. :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 18, 2020 10:11am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

rottingcorpse wrote:
My girlfriend(at the time)and myself bought first class tickets on Virgin airlines and took a long weekend vacation just to buy a guitar amp. One of the best times of my adult life.

I used to get my trucking company to run me thru Tampa Florida at least once a year so I could attend the Dean guitars DOA party and pickup my custom ordered guitars in person...and drink like a fish with other members.

I have bought countless amps at truck stops or on the side of the interstate,having made the arrangements both online and on the phone from members of forums or off craigslist. Can't even remember all the times I had to sleep with a 4x12 or other speaker cabs and amp heads in my sleeper berth. I left a DOA party in Tampa with a whole Randall X2 Warhead stack(with amp)and 4 guitars in my Freightliner truck.

Every time I did stuff like this i was super excited. Now,not so much. Last time I was excited was when I got a killer deal local from a bro on a dream guitar a year ago. Now I get excited when I don't spend money on gear. It's nice having money in savings at this time.

I too value $$ in savings as I want to retire before 60; that said, what you describe above sounds like the best gear excursion one could do. The excitement must have been overwhelming; as long as reality didn't smack you in the face once the CC bill came due. :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 18, 2020 8:14pm 
Supah Stah

Fordman65 wrote:
Monkey Man wrote:

Tuna and Mayo on a bread roll sounds fantastic right now. Strange thing for me to crave at 10am, so thanks for that. :lol: :LOL:

Sorry brother. :lol: :LOL:

There's an old saying:
"Where the mind goes, the man follows".

You can prove it in a food sense easily:
At 10AM think about burgers (or another food you like) for a minute.
Do the same thing at 11, 12, 1... and by the end of the day, if you haven't eaten the specified morsel, you've done well.