Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Sat, Jul 20, 2019 9:36am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 02, 2012 11:17am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I recently got a used Peavey Wolfie Special. After playing it all weekend, I decided that the bridge pickup easily recreates EVH's tone on the later Sammy era tunes. My problem - I can't stand Ed's later tone! The pickup is super high output, and very lower mid heavy. Pretty oppossite of his early, high-mid crunch tone.

Has anyone tried a Super Distortion in their Wolfgangs? I would like to get closer to Ed's early tone, and Pete Thorn says the Super Distortion does it. Not sure what it does in a solid Basswood guitar though.

'08 Charvel USA partscaster
'98 PRS CU22

Great transactions with: Londaxe (James), Schaf (Kevin), gbsmusic (Greg) Drewiv, 50nipafp (Chad), Metlupass2, Geese_com, boneyard, EVHpickdust, Racerxrated, Roodyrocker

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 02, 2012 11:28am 
Chickenhead

I have a Dimarzio SD in two strats and it does the old VH tone nice. A little more highs, less low mids. It's a bit fussy about placement, really mess with the distance from the strings to find the sweet spot...not to close, it gets congested sounding.
I bet it would work well in the Wolfgang. If not try it in a strat next, it loves strats.

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 02, 2012 11:32am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I may give it a shot, since the Dimarzio pickups seem to be drop in replacements. Hopefully the mounting legs of the pickup match the Wolfie pickup - I don't want to route the guitar to adjust the height!

'98 PRS CU22

Great transactions with: Londaxe (James), Schaf (Kevin), gbsmusic (Greg) Drewiv, 50nipafp (Chad), Metlupass2, Geese_com, boneyard, EVHpickdust, Racerxrated, Roodyrocker

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 02, 2012 1:38pm 
Chickenhead

AndyK wrote:
I may give it a shot, since the Dimarzio pickups seem to be drop in replacements. Hopefully the mounting legs of the pickup match the Wolfie pickup - I don't want to route the guitar to adjust the height!

I believe the Wolfgang pickups are Dimarzio's as well. Pull one out first and have a look.

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 02, 2012 1:42pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I happen to have a black F spaced SD that I can measure to see if the mounting length is the same as the stock Wolfie pickups.

'98 PRS CU22

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 02, 2012 1:50pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Are you human?: 951
how about a bareknuckle vhii? seems like it would be a great choice for that guitar

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 02, 2012 1:56pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Peavey made the custom pickups in Peavey Wolfgangs. DiMarzio made the pickups in the EBMM EVH model.

I have heard the Tone Zone is a close DiMarzio approximation of the EBMM model, but, alas, that's the Sammy era.

Definitely recommend making sure the replacement pickup size will retrofit into the Wolfgang pickup slot.

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 02, 2012 2:10pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Problem with the Bare Knuckle VH is it's low output. I have read that low output pickups sound dead in the Wolfie for some reason. Plus, I want to keep the neck pickup, and don't want a huge volume drop. And, the Dimarzios mount looks like the same as the stock pickups.

I'll be happy to just alter the mids of the stock pickup sound, to get less low end mids, and better high mids. Right now, to me, the stock pickup sounds like a Duncan JB - which I have always hated because of the nasal mid quality.

'98 PRS CU22

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 02, 2012 2:16pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

then i would look at the rebell yell...sounds like the holy diver would be sweet to...like a jb done perfectly. but the dimarzios would work as well.

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 02, 2012 2:21pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

All of Mark's (Rockstah) sound samples are done using a Dimarzio SD. That's good enough for me!

'98 PRS CU22

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 02, 2012 6:08pm 
Chickenhead

AndyK wrote:
All of Mark's (Rockstah) sound samples are done using a Dimarzio SD. That's good enough for me!
George at Metro digs them to for old VH tone. That's why I grabbed them last year. ;)

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 02, 2012 6:32pm 
Plank Cranker

That pickup is nothing more then a 43ga 14k Alnico V pickup. It sounds the way it sounds in that particular guitar. It might take some experimentation to get a higher mid focused sound out of a basswood guitar.

Take that wolfgang pickup and put it in an Ash guitar like Ed's Franky and I'd bet it would be more high mid focused...

Good deals with - RockStarNick - Lublin - Kidkramer71 - Guitarsignals - roodboy

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 02, 2012 7:51pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

rcm78 wrote:
That pickup is nothing more then a 43ga 14k Alnico V pickup. It sounds the way it sounds in that particular guitar. It might take some experimentation to get a higher mid focused sound out of a basswood guitar.

Take that wolfgang pickup and put it in an Ash guitar like Ed's Franky and I'd bet it would be more high mid focused...

So are you saying no pickup change will alter the tone of the Wolfie Special?

'98 PRS CU22

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 02, 2012 8:17pm 
Supah Stah

Other than the pickup, how are you liking the Wolfgang? I have one on the way in black. I've read in reviews that it is just as good as the regular Wolfgang, although some obvious changes look-wise. I have a hardtail version coming.

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 02, 2012 8:22pm 
Hack

Believe it or not, the AT-1 sounds incredible in the Axis, which is very similar to the wolfgang. I replaced my bridge pickup for the same reason. It is very much balanced like the ernie ball pickup, but a little less hot, and more classic sounding. I've owned many wolf gangs and Axis guitars. Never tried the super distortion though.

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 02, 2012 8:24pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

romanianreaper wrote:
Other than the pickup, how are you liking the Wolfgang? I have one on the way in black. I've read in reviews that it is just as good as the regular Wolfgang, although some obvious changes look-wise. I have a hardtail version coming.

I like the Wolfie Special much better than the Standard (I have had several of both over the years). The Special is light, warmer, and the neck is the same as the Standard, minus the figuring. No tone knob (good), flat top (easier to rest you arm and hand on), a no nonsense version that EVH played often on tour. I never tried a hard tail, but I am guessing the hard tail has more sustain because of the missing tremolo routing.

What are the stats on the Andy Timmons pickup??

'98 PRS CU22

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 02, 2012 9:29pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I put Sounds of Sin pickups in my Wolfgang, and I've been happy ever since! This was after trying a number of different Dimarzios and Seymour Duncans.

Boss Katana head
Yamaha THR10x
Peavey Wolfgang
Washburn N24
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Squier CV Tele

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 03, 2012 12:31am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

this guy seems happy: http://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/i ... ic=26640.0

I'm ordering a VHII set very soon :rock:

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 03, 2012 12:34am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

mniel8195 wrote:
then i would look at the rebell yell...sounds like the holy diver would be sweet to...like a jb done perfectly. but the dimarzios would work as well.

yeah, the diver works great for early VH
really natural fluid leads quality without the excessive compression of duncans and dimarzios

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 03, 2012 12:45am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

i just put a rebell yell in the bridge of my esp eclipse and a vhii in the neck. Not done tweaking the height yet but im close. They are both amazing pups. Im probably going to pull the jb out of the bridge of my charvel and put in a holy diver and two single coils not sure which ones its the last model they made in the usa the trans kandy gold so it has direct mount pickups. i may put some foam under the pickups and longer screws so i can adjust the height of them. I picked up standard wolf gang in guitar center, the neck felt really small didnt get a chance to play though.

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 03, 2012 9:13am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

It's funny with pickups. Everyone has a different tone in their mind that they want - a feel. I guess that's what keeps so many pickup makers in business. One person who says the stock Wolfgang pickups "are the best" may mean they are the best for dropped D metal stuff - not early VH. It also depends on which amp you are using. Those who didn't like the Dimarzio SD may have been running into a high gain channel, and not a low-gain Plexi circuit. Etc.

I do have to figure a pickup called VHII will be a good early VH tone canditate - but I've heard lower output pickups don't sound good on a basswood guitar. Very confusing! But fun to experiment.

'98 PRS CU22

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 03, 2012 10:00am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I have had several Wolfgangs and own two currently. If yours is on the brighter end of the spectrum, Tone Zone works well in the bridge.
If your Wolfgang has a darker tone, then the Tone Zone may sound too muddy.
I have had only one Wolfgang that the wood tone was pretty dark and the Tone Zone did not work well in. Most get along well with it.

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 03, 2012 10:21am 
Plank Cranker

AndyK wrote:
rcm78 wrote:

So are you saying no pickup change will alter the tone of the Wolfie Special?

No not at all. But I've found over the years that the changes made by a pickup replacement are usually very subtle.

I'm in the camp that loves the stock peavey Wolfgang pickups. My particular Wolfie is very mid focused. It's an archtop standard with a stop tail. I don't find the guitar or pickups to be lower mid focused at all. Mine is actually kind of brite.

Since yours is a special with a trem and you say it's warmer then a standard I would concentrate on finding a brite pickup to liven it up a bit. Something around 10-12k alnico V should work nice.

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 03, 2012 11:00am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I ordered a Super Distortion - should arrive today, so I can try it this weekend. The tone of my guitar now reminds me of using a stock Tubescreamer - that mid hump that can't be removed. My hope is to get the guitar to sound like I am using a more transparent overdrive - know what I mean?

'98 PRS CU22

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 03, 2012 10:53pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I tried installing the Dimarzio SD tonight. After removing the old pickup, and figuring out how the hell to feed the new wire through the body, the damned pickup is too tall - hits the strings and everything. Odd thing, when I re-soldered the stock pickup back in, cursing myself for not measuring the new pickup's height, I think it sounds better! The original owner had the wires reversed to make the toggle function like a normal 3 way, maybe the solder joint wasn't 100%? Strange. The guitar sounds a little more open and the high end isn't nasal - maybe I broke something in there? The quality of the build impresses me, with the shielded rear covers, and black paint in the pickup cavities. Shows what a quality guitar it really is!

Not sure if I want to find a different pickup that is less tall, or just keep the stock pickups and say the hell with it. I did open the electronics cover (the wrong one with the volume knob), and I saw a date of 7/2004. That makes it a very late model Wolfie!

'98 PRS CU22

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 03, 2012 11:16pm 
Supah Stah

AndyK wrote:
I tried installing the Dimarzio SD tonight. After removing the old pickup, and figuring out how the hell to feed the new wire through the body, the damned pickup is too tall - hits the strings and everything. Odd thing, when I re-soldered the stock pickup back in, cursing myself for not measuring the new pickup's height, I think it sounds better! The original owner had the wires reversed to make the toggle function like a normal 3 way, maybe the solder joint wasn't 100%? Strange. The guitar sounds a little more open and the high end isn't nasal - maybe I broke something in there? The quality of the build impresses me, with the shielded rear covers, and black paint in the pickup cavities. Shows what a quality guitar it really is!

Not sure if I want to find a different pickup that is less tall, or just keep the stock pickups and say the hell with it. I did open the electronics cover (the wrong one with the volume knob), and I saw a date of 7/2004. That makes it a very late model Wolfie!

wanna sell that SD? ;)

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 04, 2012 7:05am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Lord Toneking wrote:
AndyK wrote:

wanna sell that SD? ;)

Yours for $65 plus shipping. :)

'98 PRS CU22

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 04, 2012 9:25am 
Plank Cranker

AndyK wrote:

Glad it worked out for you!!! I'm always a bit shocked when I hear or read someone doesnt like the Peavey Wolfgang pickups. I love them and have been trying to get two of my other guitars to sound as close to my Wolfie as possible.

A good friend of mine works at DiMarzio, I asked him to help me get two specific guitars to sound like my Wolf and his very quick answer was "Buy two more Wolfgangs"...

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 04, 2012 11:04am 
Supah Stah

AndyK wrote:
Lord Toneking wrote:
AndyK wrote:

wanna sell that SD? ;)

Yours for $65 plus shipping. :)
Is it a zebra?

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 04, 2012 12:42pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Yup, black and Creme.

'98 PRS CU22