Scalloped fretboard

MKibanez

Would like to have your impressions of playing a scalloped neck. I heard that once your are used to you don't want to come back to standard.

Is there a lot of you playing a scalloped one?

I have 2 with scalloped necks, like them a lot. I have other non scalloped guitars that I play also, once you get used to them you really miss the ease/convenience of bending strings with them.

I had a Fender Yngwie model for a while with the scalloped neck. The strings bend easier for sure and sometimes if I was playing hard I would grip too hard when doing quick chord changes and the chord would sound out of tune for a sec because id grip too hard, if that makes sense. It was sudtle and easy to adjust to though.

The only other thing was that I liked to feel the fretboard when I play. I didn't realize that until I played a scalloped neck.

I have one guitar which is scalloped from 12-27 and I dream about playing it any time I'm playing any of my other non-scalloped guitars. If I could find a local luthier who I trust to scallop them I would do the whole lot. Imagine jumbo frets that are twice as high and you'll get the idea; you can really dig into the string and bending is so easy. Just have to make sure to use a moderately light touch so as not to go sharp.

You have to have a very light touch, which I used to have but somehow no more.

Years ago I built myself a guitar and scalloped the fretboard. Hard to see in these tiny pics, but that's all I have.

mini01.jpg

mini04.jpg

The neck came from a Tele copy and most of the rest from the hardware store.

Ahh, scalloped necks. I have a long history of playing them and having them done on my guitars. I actually learned how to do it myself back around 1991.
Used to have these guitars that were all scalloped: Fender YJM Strat, Ibanez Jem, ESP Kamikaze, Ibanez RGs and couple custom made ones.

Pros- great for bending, you can really grip and grab the notes, therefore also great for getting a good vibrato
- if you develope a light touch, there is no resistance on the LH, especially for fast playing.

Cons- not all necks can be scalloped
- harder to play fast if your LH technique is too rough, especially legato

Lately, I've been taking my 1973 Strat out of retirement, the scalloped neck felt so good that it's my number one again, check out this pic for some scalloped eye-candy :rock:
https://www.facebook.com/tung.le.9277583 ... =1&theater

Back