3 Ways to Make Your Guitar Cab Sound Better

Excellent advice, thanks!

Especially dig the about about ditching any PCBs in a cab and just doing straight, old-school wiring as it should be!

And I am still wanting someone local to do this to one of my Marshall cabs. BeZo was going to do one for me but I landed a new job, and he did as well at the same time, and we couldn't make it happen. That was 2 years ago when this thread started.

psychodave":3kwg06ek said:
hunter":3kwg06ek said:
The cheapes way to get more from your 4x12 is trying this wiring. Gives you two switchable options of parallel/series and series/parallel. They sound different and feel very different. I have proven this with clips some years ago (not sure where I got them now). It's a simple job, just a switch to connect/disconnect the white wire, well worth it!

AGL_4x12_schalt_16ohm.jpg

I read this whole thread and I like this post a lot. This will make the most difference. I only use series//parallel wiring for my Marshall cabinets. Just regular red and black stranded wire. I think it's 14 gauge. Sure, some of the sealing may help, but there are too many variables. I have a "leaky air" Marshall 4x12 that sounds glorious.

Also, you really can't compare Mesa and Marshall cabinet designs. The first difference between them is the size of the back panel. Mesa is a bit smaller and when comparing straight cabs with Marshall straight cabs, Mesa's design has more bottom end and focus. This is why I have so many 4x12 speaker cabinets with different speakers. They all have redeeming qualities and one design (or speaker) can't do it all.

Just my .02.
I re-wired a Jubilee cab with lamp cord a few years ago, and sealed/put carpet foam on the back panel...improved it a ton. Great thread and a very easy way to turn your cab into a monstrous sounding cab.

psychodave":1ffmyj2g said:
hunter":1ffmyj2g said:
The cheapes way to get more from your 4x12 is trying this wiring. Gives you two switchable options of parallel/series and series/parallel. They sound different and feel very different. I have proven this with clips some years ago (not sure where I got them now). It's a simple job, just a switch to connect/disconnect the white wire, well worth it!

AGL_4x12_schalt_16ohm.jpg

I read this whole thread and I like this post a lot. This will make the most difference. I only use series//parallel wiring for my Marshall cabinets. Just regular red and black stranded wire. I think it's 14 gauge. Sure, some of the sealing may help, but there are too many variables. I have a "leaky air" Marshall 4x12 that sounds glorious.

Also, you really can't compare Mesa and Marshall cabinet designs. The first difference between them is the size of the back panel. Mesa is a bit smaller and when comparing straight cabs with Marshall straight cabs, Mesa's design has more bottom end and focus. This is why I have so many 4x12 speaker cabinets with different speakers. They all have redeeming qualities and one design (or speaker) can't do it all.

Just my .02.
Double post

Back