Best Newman 6CA7?

I used Sylvania 6CA7 in the 70s-90s until they became hard to find and expensive.I settled on the Electro Harmonix 6CA7 great tube/soundwise.I tried the JJ 6CA7 it didnt have the aggressiveness that the Electro Harmonix has.

midnightlaundry":316cng9x said:
I wonder if it was flabby, or just more low end than you were used to?
They can't be bad if EVH ran them. But they say nothing sounded like those Sylvanias.

Flabby. I run an OD as a boost to tighten, and an MXR 10-Band in the loop, for further shaping. It was spongy, and not as tight as the KT77's.

NOTHING sounds like the older, NOS tubes, be it EL34, 6L6, etc. Comparing Sylvania 6CA7's to JJ's is like a '69 Camaro vs. a 2013. New one's are cool, but, they don't make them like they used to. And, take this all with a grain of salt, as opinions vary. Some people have hands-on experience, and a few on here are talking out their ass, because they think it's cool to be a hater, or believe bullshit they read on the net. This place is getting like the old Harmony Central more & more everyday. Some of their idiots roamed over here.

midnightlaundry":2koj5k2u said:
rupe":2koj5k2u said:
baron55":2koj5k2u said:
The Express is all about massive clipped EL34 sound.
Well put...that pretty much sums it up

Maybe so, but the sound of that amp has no bottom end to my ears. I think it could use a bit more.
You might like the EH 6CA7 then...it's worth a try. My Express has as much bottom end as any 50w Marshall though...but they're not really known for having big lows. That said, they sit in a mix like nothing else and the lows aren't really missed IMO...that's why you split the gig money with a bass player ;)

napalmdeath":h1ob9fzq said:
midnightlaundry":h1ob9fzq said:
I wonder if it was flabby, or just more low end than you were used to?
They can't be bad if EVH ran them. But they say nothing sounded like those Sylvanias.

Flabby. I run an OD as a boost to tighten, and an MXR 10-Band in the loop, for further shaping. It was spongy, and not as tight as the KT77's.

NOTHING sounds like the older, NOS tubes, be it EL34, 6L6, etc. Comparing Sylvania 6CA7's to JJ's is like a '69 Camaro vs. a 2013. New one's are cool, but, they don't make them like they used to. And, take this all with a grain of salt, as opinions vary. Some people have hands-on experience, and a few on here are talking out their ass, because they think it's cool to be a hater, or believe bullshit they read on the net. This place is getting like the old Harmony Central more & more everyday. Some of their idiots roamed over here.

Welp, we'll see. I should have the 6CA7's tomorrow, so I can compare them to the JJ KT's, and EL34L's that I already have. Trying different stuff is part of the fun.

rupe":3ij8nvww said:
midnightlaundry":3ij8nvww said:
rupe":3ij8nvww said:
baron55":3ij8nvww said:

Maybe so, but the sound of that amp has no bottom end to my ears. I think it could use a bit more.
You might like the EH 6CA7 then...it's worth a try. My Express has as much bottom end as any 50w Marshall though...but they're not really known for having big lows. That said, they sit in a mix like nothing else and the lows aren't really missed IMO...that's why you split the gig money with a bass player ;)

Next to my Mark V, it's all midrange. I like a little more bottom in my sound. But with a plate driven tonestack right after the 1st gain stage, you can't really add in any bass without the sound getting lost, unless you add a graphic in the rear like Boogie did.

I hope the 6CA7's can add more bottom while keeping the midrange detail.

What speakers do you run with your Express?

Did you try the 6CA7 in the Mark V? Which brand did you try and how did it sound?

midnightlaundry":29y3r4ug said:
rupe":29y3r4ug said:
midnightlaundry":29y3r4ug said:
rupe":29y3r4ug said:
baron55":29y3r4ug said:

Next to my Mark V, it's all midrange. I like a little more bottom in my sound. But with a plate driven tonestack right after the 1st gain stage, you can't really add in any bass without the sound getting lost, unless you add a graphic in the rear like Boogie did.

4406cuda":2pm9fxo0 said:
Did you try the 6CA7 in the Mark V? Which brand did you try and how did it sound?

midnightlaundry":2pm9fxo0 said:
rupe":2pm9fxo0 said:
midnightlaundry":2pm9fxo0 said:
rupe":2pm9fxo0 said:
baron55":2pm9fxo0 said:

I only have a pair of them for my Wreck. But, I have EL34's in the MV right now! :D

I would agree that the real 6ca7 is the the sylvania

I have a pair of sylvania 6cca7 fat bottles and to my ears they do not sound like an el34 or 6l6
they have a bigger bottom end and a fatter cleaner sound than an el34 and they have more headroom later breakup than el34.

I hate them in my 2204 marshall but in the outer sockets of my boogie they sound unreal.
and they also sound great in a non master volume marshall especially when played into an attenuator.
trying to find them is tricky and finding matched ones will be expensive as you will to buy several before they match unless you buy from a dealer that actually sells NOS matched quads but then that will cost $600 ish for a quad
cathedral stone sells them for around $600-$700 per quad depending on the quality of screen printing on the glass
the sylvania 6ca7 seem to sell to two areas of the market as they are now collectors pieces and normally sell either to the japanese who will never use them but just put them in a glass cabinet for display or they sell to to high end audiophiles
its gone exactly the same way with old blackburn made mullard el34

H3000":3si6oacd said:
the sylvania 6ca7 seem to sell to two areas of the market as they are now collectors pieces and normally sell either to the japanese who will never use them but just put them in a glass cabinet for display or they sell to to high end audiophiles

Given enough time, doesn't the gas inside the tube's vacuum eventually leak ? I mean, even if they're never used, they can't last indefinitely, right ? It'd be a real shame for them to expire just sitting on a shelf.

thegame":3dfr9d74 said:
H3000":3dfr9d74 said:

Given enough time, doesn't the gas inside the tube's vacuum eventually leak ? I mean, even if they're never used, they can't last indefinitely, right ? It'd be a real shame for them to expire just sitting on a shelf.

I agree but then these collector type people are not interested in playing them which is annoying as fuck...
they should set up an exchange program ,they could take my used ones for their unused ones

Back from the dead.. 5 years goes by quick. I'm still using the same pair of JJ's

I've flip flopped tubes in the Express build a lot but I think I like the JJ 6CA7's best.. I have them biased at 53ma's.. Which is about 85% in this amp. They are more solid in feel and response and the sound is bigger. I think owning a couple Fryette amps has influenced my preference for a more solid tone..

Any new updates or thoughts on current 6CA7's? Shuguang has one but it's marketed as a Treasure. They're on Amazon..

https://www.amazon.com/Matched-6ca7-z-S ... B00MLZC44W

I like the JJ 6CA7’s and EH 6CA7’s. However they sound nothing like the Sylvania 6CA7’s. I’m squirlling away two nice quads of the Sylvania’s. They seem to be fetching close to $800 a quad these days.

psychodave":29meb4er said:
I like the JJ 6CA7’s and EH 6CA7’s. However they sound nothing like the Sylvania 6CA7’s. I’m squirlling away two nice quads of the Sylvania’s. They seem to be fetching close to $800 a quad these days.

Even tho the JJ's are Beam Pentodes, they are still more articulate and punchy compared to the JJ EL34L which is decidedly looser in sound and feel.

Do you like the EH's better? Th ye seem to be Pentodes as well..
https://www.tube-town.net/info/datenbla ... ehel34.jpg

midnightlaundry":1snsx7gk said:
psychodave":1snsx7gk said:

Even tho the JJ's are Beam Pentodes, they are still more articulate and punchy compared to the JJ EL34L which is decidedly looser in sound and feel.

Do you like the EH's better? Th ye seem to be Pentodes as well..
https://www.tube-town.net/info/datenbla ... ehel34.jpg

I suppose it's subjective. I've never found the JJ 6CA7's more "punchy" than the E34L. More bass? A little, yes. Tighter? No way, I'd say warmer, and bigger. Never heard their E34L described as loose, ever. 6CA7 More articulate? Again, I say no. Maybe equal. I find their KT77 the most articulate of their EL34 family. No contest. It's a killer tube.

I find that all 3 have their place. For brighter amps the need some warmth/thump, 6CA7. For a general purpose, EL34 with a bit more headroom, and punch, E34L. For an aggressive sounding amp that you want a little more aggression, KT77. I put a pair in my Thrasher 50, and they made an already aggressive amp, utterly pissed off. I've made no secrets about my love for JJ KT77's. I ran them in DSL's, JVM's, JSX's, Laneys, and others. I may go 6CA7's in brighter Marshalls, but I by no means find them more articulate.

EH6CA7's, I found brighter than JJ's, but what New Sensor product isn't?

Back