School me on ESP/LTD EC series

Michi

Hey all,

I've lately found a new love, the ESP/LTD EC series. I've been (lazily) looking for a nice LP type guitar for some time now. What has turned me off from the EC's in the past was the 24 fret neck, it's not "a true" LP.

Lately I've found I'm not looking for a traditional LP in that sense, after trying a few Gibson LP Standards and their higher end Tokai counterparts for example.

What really has intrigued me towards the EC's (mainly 401's, 1000's) is the thin U neck profile. Coming from Charvel Pro Mod type necks they feel VERY comfortable to play compared to the more traditional Gibsons or Tokais, even with the 60's slim taper neck profile.

I'm not that much in search of the "LP tone" but more just the looks are what appeal to me. Pickups can always be changed etc so that's not really a big deal either, I'll most probably drop a DiMarzio SD in the bridge anyway :D whichever guitar I choose in the end.

So, any experience with the guitars mentioned above will be greatly appreciated! And of course if you have any other suggestions, may be an LP type with a floyd bridge, please share your thoughts!

Oh, my budget is around $1200 if that makes any difference.

I have an EC1000 and like it a lot! The neck shape and extra tall jumbo frets are a big plus for me. The only draw back is the neck pickup tone is not quite what it could be, but that's true with all 24 fret guitars.

chunktone":4eep2wxb said:
I have an EC1000 and like it a lot! The neck shape and extra tall jumbo frets are a big plus for me. The only draw back is the neck pickup tone is not quite what it could be, but that's true with all 24 fret guitars.

Did your EC1000 come with EMGs or Duncans, does it have the abalone bindings? :D

I've been playing LTD's for years and recently started using a new EC-500 which is great.
If you don't prefer 24 frets, than you can look for an ESP Eclipse, which have 22 frets. (still 24.75 scale tho)

Michi":3n0wi6e0 said:
chunktone":3n0wi6e0 said:

Did your EC1000 come with EMGs or Duncans, does it have the abalone bindings? :D

Mine's flat black, and came with EMG's. Replaced them asap with WCR's and it kills!

This is my EC-500.
Gloss black, creme binding and trim, 81/60, black nickel hardware. Paid $400 was mint used.

They do also make 22 fret LTDs with a full thickness body and bindin on the back as well.
Nice IMHO

I've got an EC401F with Floyd and Aldrich pups. Love it. I don't care for the more expensive models with Abalone binding, but the 400/500 series are very nice other than the awful EMG's. Also if you want the full body thickness you can get the vintage series 401 or 1000 with Duncans stock. Floyed EC's only come with EMG's if you're leaning towards a trem model.

Sorry for the giant pic, but it's the only one I have....special run for MF a few years back, called an EC1000 Stealth.......I can't stand the abalone, man. We're completely opposite on the necks....they're way too thin for me, and I'm not the biggest fan of the D shape. That being said, this is one of the best guitars I've ever played...fit and finish were flawless. LTDs are an amazing value....locking tuners and bridge and EMGs and a compensated Earvana nut. Snagged this for $500. You can usually find what you're looking for for under $600 when dealing with LTDs, but I've noticed ESP Eclipses (and ESPs in general) going down in price quite a bit over the last year or so....you could snag an Eclipse for $200 more easily.

I've always had a sick love for this one too......it's the only Floyded guitar I ever wanted. They make it in un-aged silver as well, if the pink makes ya sick lol:

I had two EC-1000s, one in gloss black with EMGs (which I swapped out with BKPs) and another in Amber Sunburst with SDs. While the SD axe was better, even with the BKPs both had horrible tone compared to a good or even decent LP or any of my PRSs. The slim necks are nice but there's just no depth of tone or bottom end. They also feel very cheap and plastic like IMHO. I regret buying either and will never go down the ESP or LTD road again. YMMV, though.

Bloodrock":1hay430g said:
I've got an EC401F with Floyd and Aldrich pups. Love it. I don't care for the more expensive models with Abalone binding, but the 400/500 series are very nice other than the awful EMG's. Also if you want the full body thickness you can get the vintage series 401 or 1000 with Duncans stock. Floyed EC's only come with EMG's if you're leaning towards a trem model.

I don't care for the abalone either, tested a 1000 on Saturday that had the bindings and stuff, it played great but I can't see myself playing a guitar with all that bling-bling :LOL: :LOL: .

What's the neck profile like in the EC401 floyd version, is it the same thin U like the non-trem version?

I own a see-thru green ec-1000 w/ EMGs and a vintage honeyburst EC-1000 with JB59s. Both are really great for the money IMO. The honeyburst was my #1 axe for many years.

KevHo":m09nham7 said:
I own a see-thru green ec-1000 w/ EMGs and a vintage honeyburst EC-1000 with JB59s. Both are really great for the money IMO. The honeyburst was my #1 axe for many years.

I've had my eye on the honeyburst now, but I'm really confused with the neck profiles in these. The local shop owner told me that the ones with EMG's have the thin U neck but the ones with the SD's come with a somewhat thicker profile. Is this how it goes or is she way off?

Back