Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Mon, May 27, 2019 2:16am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue, Nov 14, 2017 9:36pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Oct 12, 2013 12:47am
Posts: 505
Are you human?: 951
Metal1977 wrote:
I bought one a couple of months ago. It sounds like shit, no matter how i used it.

Guys, don't do the same mistake i made!


Care to make a quick clip if you still have it? Directly into interface with a cab sim plugin would do...

_________________
Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Lee Jackson GP-1000

Amps:
Soldano SLO100 | Wizard MC1
Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Cabs:
Orange PPC412 | Marshall MF400A | Krank SST412 | Soldano 412 | Engl Pro 412 | Mesa Thiele 112


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Nov 14, 2017 10:32pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Nov 18, 2011 3:22pm
Posts: 370
Are you human?: 951
godgrinder wrote:
Metal1977 wrote:
I bought one a couple of months ago. It sounds like shit, no matter how i used it.

Guys, don't do the same mistake i made!


Care to make a quick clip if you still have it? Directly into interface with a cab sim plugin would do...


I don't have it anymore, gave it away.

_________________
Good Deals With: Metlupass2, espdna, jayd41, NewWorldMan, Snave, SLOgriff


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed, Nov 15, 2017 7:34am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Jun 27, 2006 4:31am
Posts: 1477
Location: South Florida
Are you human?: 951
Metal1977 wrote:
I bought one a couple of months ago. It sounds like shit, no matter how i used it.

Guys, don't do the same mistake i made!


What was your main issue with it?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed, Nov 15, 2017 9:25am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee

Joined: Tue, Jul 25, 2006 5:30pm
Posts: 378
Metal1977 wrote:
I bought one a couple of months ago. It sounds like shit, no matter how i used it.

Guys, don't do the same mistake i made!


What did you play it into? i.e. Power amp, Amp fx-return? Speakers, speaker emulator?

Eric


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed, Nov 15, 2017 9:34am 
Offline
FJA Mods
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Jun 23, 2006 10:09pm
Posts: 1394
Location: Syracuse, NY
Are you human?: 951
I heard it was cool, but it doesn't sound like the amp. The guy that brought the Elan modded Marshall to me picked one up after he bought the amp.

_________________
FJA Mods
FJA Mods YouTube
FJA Mods Tech Help Forum
FJA Facebook


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 12:47am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Nov 18, 2011 3:22pm
Posts: 370
Are you human?: 951
shred-o-holic wrote:
Metal1977 wrote:
I bought one a couple of months ago. It sounds like shit, no matter how i used it.

Guys, don't do the same mistake i made!


What was your main issue with it?


It didn't sound like Nick's preamp or Jerry's awesome modded Marshall in the youtube clip at all. I mean it was totally different, felt like the crappiest metal distortion pedal you can find and believe me i had a couple. Maybe i had a lemon? I tried it with some different power amps, with the same result.

You won't hear me bash products publicly very often but it was probably the worst purchase of my entire 30 years of buying guitar stuff. Maybe i was expecting too much?

It's pretty expensive, i do it to prevent someone from getting ripped off again.

_________________
Good Deals With: Metlupass2, espdna, jayd41, NewWorldMan, Snave, SLOgriff


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 12:50am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Nov 18, 2011 3:22pm
Posts: 370
Are you human?: 951
ericb wrote:
Metal1977 wrote:
I bought one a couple of months ago. It sounds like shit, no matter how i used it.

Guys, don't do the same mistake i made!


What did you play it into? i.e. Power amp, Amp fx-return? Speakers, speaker emulator?

Eric


Amp fx-return and Power amp.

_________________
Good Deals With: Metlupass2, espdna, jayd41, NewWorldMan, Snave, SLOgriff


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 1:16am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Jul 14, 2013 9:53pm
Posts: 622
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Are you human?: 951
maynardo wrote:
That sounded AWESOME!! :rock: :rock:

The tone reminded me of this demo of a fortin modded marshall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEhFg1_JmjM


I have read that Mike Fortin owned a few Elans and that one (or more) of his amps has a sonic resemblance to the Elan.

_________________
V2 Amplification
http://www.facebook.com/V2amplification


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 1:22am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Nov 18, 2011 3:22pm
Posts: 370
Are you human?: 951
Mine was the new Elan MK5 Dino Pedal Preamp not the old Metalhead Electronics Elan MK2 Preamp.

_________________
Good Deals With: Metlupass2, espdna, jayd41, NewWorldMan, Snave, SLOgriff


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 7:48am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Jun 27, 2006 4:31am
Posts: 1477
Location: South Florida
Are you human?: 951
Metal1977 wrote:
shred-o-holic wrote:
Metal1977 wrote:
I bought one a couple of months ago. It sounds like shit, no matter how i used it.

Guys, don't do the same mistake i made!


What was your main issue with it?


It didn't sound like Nick's preamp or Jerry's awesome modded Marshall in the youtube clip at all. I mean it was totally different, felt like the crappiest metal distortion pedal you can find and believe me i had a couple. Maybe i had a lemon? I tried it with some different power amps, with the same result.

You won't hear me bash products publicly very often but it was probably the worst purchase of my entire 30 years of buying guitar stuff. Maybe i was expecting too much?

It's pretty expensive, i do it to prevent someone from getting ripped off again.


No I think it's always good to put that out there if that is what you found. With the plethora of options for high gain tone nowadays it may save someone a few bucks and wasted time. I have been an FF fan of Dino's tone for a long time so initially it sucks people like me right in.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 8:09am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Jun 27, 2006 4:31am
Posts: 1477
Location: South Florida
Are you human?: 951
But then again lol it's always subjective.......I use a Strymon Sunset OD and that thing is awesome to me but some of the reviews I have read online bash the shit out of it lol :/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 9:08am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Aug 04, 2009 11:19am
Posts: 1397
Location: Out There, Somewhere
Are you human?: 951
Be a shame if the new Elan doesn't live up to his past work. I would love to see him start producing product again as his stuff was fairly unique sounding.

V2a wrote:
maynardo wrote:
That sounded AWESOME!! :rock: :rock:

The tone reminded me of this demo of a fortin modded marshall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEhFg1_JmjM


I have read that Mike Fortin owned a few Elans and that one (or more) of his amps has a sonic resemblance to the Elan.


I've read the same thread in the same place... and it was speculation without any info on Mike's amps beyond "he owned xyz".

It would be like me saying "Oh that Cali mod board must just be a copy of the Friedman c45/fat/sat switch board in the BE100 since the schematics are online and they both have diode clipping and a voice switch".

I'm as curious about the Fortin circuits as the next guy, but let's not spread guess work that isn't based on any actual information.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 11:06am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Jul 14, 2013 9:53pm
Posts: 622
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Are you human?: 951
technomancer wrote:
Be a shame if the new Elan doesn't live up to his past work. I would love to see him start producing product again as his stuff was fairly unique sounding.

V2a wrote:
maynardo wrote:
That sounded AWESOME!! :rock: :rock:

The tone reminded me of this demo of a fortin modded marshall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEhFg1_JmjM


I have read that Mike Fortin owned a few Elans and that one (or more) of his amps has a sonic resemblance to the Elan.


I've read the same thread in the same place... and it was speculation without any info on Mike's amps beyond "he owned xyz".

It would be like me saying "Oh that Cali mod board must just be a copy of the Friedman c45/fat/sat switch board in the BE100 since the schematics are online and they both have diode clipping and a voice switch".

I'm as curious about the Fortin circuits as the next guy, but let's not spread guess work that isn't based on any actual information.



Well, I design and build amps (as a hobby), and so I was careful to say that the Fortin sounds like the Elan. And as you know, that was all that could be claimed on that other forum. As was said in here somewhere (OP?), Elan was ahead of his time (which has given others a chance to learn some tonal secrets). Electronically, there is more than one way to skin a sonic cat.

I once owned a Roccaforte because I wanted to know what went into one of those amps (which were popular at the time). I bought the Egnater 'Boutikit' for the same reason (to learn from master Bruce). And I have schematics galore. I've never copied an amp, but I have certainly learned from other circuits.

_________________
V2 Amplification
http://www.facebook.com/V2amplification


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 11:17am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Aug 04, 2009 11:19am
Posts: 1397
Location: Out There, Somewhere
Are you human?: 951
V2a wrote:
technomancer wrote:
Be a shame if the new Elan doesn't live up to his past work. I would love to see him start producing product again as his stuff was fairly unique sounding.

V2a wrote:
maynardo wrote:
That sounded AWESOME!! :rock: :rock:

The tone reminded me of this demo of a fortin modded marshall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEhFg1_JmjM


I have read that Mike Fortin owned a few Elans and that one (or more) of his amps has a sonic resemblance to the Elan.


I've read the same thread in the same place... and it was speculation without any info on Mike's amps beyond "he owned xyz".

It would be like me saying "Oh that Cali mod board must just be a copy of the Friedman c45/fat/sat switch board in the BE100 since the schematics are online and they both have diode clipping and a voice switch".

I'm as curious about the Fortin circuits as the next guy, but let's not spread guess work that isn't based on any actual information.



Well, I design and build amps (as a hobby), and so I was careful to say that the Fortin sounds like the Elan. And as you know, that was all that could be claimed on that other forum. As was said in here somewhere (OP?), Elan was ahead of his time (which has given others a chance to learn some tonal secrets). Electronically, there is more than one way to skin a sonic cat.

I once owned a Roccaforte because I wanted to know what went into one of those amps (which were popular at the time). I bought the Egnater 'Boutikit' for the same reason (to learn from master Bruce). And I have schematics galore. I've never copied an amp, but I have certainly learned from other circuits.


Yep agreed on all counts, but you know 30 seconds from now somebody is going to be posting Fortins are Elan copies based on what you said regardless of how careful you wording was :lol: :LOL:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 11:49am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Jul 14, 2013 9:53pm
Posts: 622
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Are you human?: 951
technomancer wrote:
V2a wrote:
technomancer wrote:
Be a shame if the new Elan doesn't live up to his past work. I would love to see him start producing product again as his stuff was fairly unique sounding.

V2a wrote:
maynardo wrote:
That sounded AWESOME!! :rock: :rock:

The tone reminded me of this demo of a fortin modded marshall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEhFg1_JmjM


I have read that Mike Fortin owned a few Elans and that one (or more) of his amps has a sonic resemblance to the Elan.


I've read the same thread in the same place... and it was speculation without any info on Mike's amps beyond "he owned xyz".

It would be like me saying "Oh that Cali mod board must just be a copy of the Friedman c45/fat/sat switch board in the BE100 since the schematics are online and they both have diode clipping and a voice switch".

I'm as curious about the Fortin circuits as the next guy, but let's not spread guess work that isn't based on any actual information.



Well, I design and build amps (as a hobby), and so I was careful to say that the Fortin sounds like the Elan. And as you know, that was all that could be claimed on that other forum. As was said in here somewhere (OP?), Elan was ahead of his time (which has given others a chance to learn some tonal secrets). Electronically, there is more than one way to skin a sonic cat.

I once owned a Roccaforte because I wanted to know what went into one of those amps (which were popular at the time). I bought the Egnater 'Boutikit' for the same reason (to learn from master Bruce). And I have schematics galore. I've never copied an amp, but I have certainly learned from other circuits.


Yep agreed on all counts, but you know 30 seconds from now somebody is going to be posting Fortins are Elan copies based on what you said regardless of how careful you wording was :lol: :LOL:


They both have three gain controls too! Oops, there I go again! :doh:

_________________
V2 Amplification
http://www.facebook.com/V2amplification


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 6:59pm 
Offline
Rock God

Joined: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 6:51pm
Posts: 7336
Location: Wi
Are you human?: 951
There is some truth to Mike at least being a fan of the Elan stuff. When I almost bought a Metalhead marshall, I sent him a pic of the circuit and he confirmed it was Metalhead modded. He had helped me with a Cali mod that needed work, and I emailed him about the amp, if he could confirm it was legit. He said it was and that he also owned a few of his own Metalhead Marshalls along with some original Joses.
Mike is great to deal with.

_________________
KRG 2C+ Coliseum 1X15 Combo w/EV, Road Case
HH M900
Lexicon MPX1
Roland SDE 3000
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
Peavey Butcher Cab w/K85s
2009 Charvel USA Plum SoCal
1980 Greco EG500 LP
1985 Ibanez Destroyer


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 7:41pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Nov 18, 2011 3:22pm
Posts: 370
Are you human?: 951
shred-o-holic wrote:
Metal1977 wrote:
shred-o-holic wrote:
Metal1977 wrote:
I bought one a couple of months ago. It sounds like shit, no matter how i used it.

Guys, don't do the same mistake i made!


What was your main issue with it?


It didn't sound like Nick's preamp or Jerry's awesome modded Marshall in the youtube clip at all. I mean it was totally different, felt like the crappiest metal distortion pedal you can find and believe me i had a couple. Maybe i had a lemon? I tried it with some different power amps, with the same result.

You won't hear me bash products publicly very often but it was probably the worst purchase of my entire 30 years of buying guitar stuff. Maybe i was expecting too much?

It's pretty expensive, i do it to prevent someone from getting ripped off again.


No I think it's always good to put that out there if that is what you found. With the plethora of options for high gain tone nowadays it may save someone a few bucks and wasted time. I have been an FF fan of Dino's tone for a long time so initially it sucks people like me right in.


I'm a fan of FF too, i thought the Elan MK5 Dino Preamp Pedal would be like a modern version of the old MK2 Elan Preamp. I have no experience with the old Metalhead Electronics stuff, but i really doubt that they sound the same.

_________________
Good Deals With: Metlupass2, espdna, jayd41, NewWorldMan, Snave, SLOgriff


Last edited by Metal1977 on Fri, Nov 17, 2017 5:00am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 7:52pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Nov 18, 2011 3:22pm
Posts: 370
Are you human?: 951
shred-o-holic wrote:
But then again lol it's always subjective.......I use a Strymon Sunset OD and that thing is awesome to me but some of the reviews I have read online bash the shit out of it lol :/


The unit is not worth 1/10th of it's price even if you like that kind of sound and i think they know it! They use the hype around their old product to scam people like us that don't have access to the old stuff and like FF tone.

I understand what you mean, but in this case i think it's a scam! I would like to know if someone else got the MK5 and see what they think of it?

_________________
Good Deals With: Metlupass2, espdna, jayd41, NewWorldMan, Snave, SLOgriff


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, Nov 17, 2017 8:34am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee

Joined: Tue, Jul 25, 2006 5:30pm
Posts: 378
Metal1977 wrote:
shred-o-holic wrote:
But then again lol it's always subjective.......I use a Strymon Sunset OD and that thing is awesome to me but some of the reviews I have read online bash the shit out of it lol :/


The unit is not worth 1/10th of it's price even if you like that kind of sound and i think they know it! They use the hype around their old product to scam people like us that don't have access to the old stuff and like FF tone.

I understand what you mean, but in this case i think it's a scam! I would like to know if someone else got the MK5 and see what they think of it?



Thanks, totally appreciate your input, as I temporarily got excited about the preamp pedals.. No more. . I have enough great gear!!! Rock on

Eric


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, Nov 17, 2017 10:36am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Jun 27, 2006 4:31am
Posts: 1477
Location: South Florida
Are you human?: 951
Metal1977 wrote:
shred-o-holic wrote:
But then again lol it's always subjective.......I use a Strymon Sunset OD and that thing is awesome to me but some of the reviews I have read online bash the shit out of it lol :/


The unit is not worth 1/10th of it's price even if you like that kind of sound and i think they know it! They use the hype around their old product to scam people like us that don't have access to the old stuff and like FF tone.

I understand what you mean, but in this case i think it's a scam! I would like to know if someone else got the MK5 and see what they think of it?


Wow that's a bummer.......thanks again though :rock:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, Nov 17, 2017 2:28pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker

Joined: Thu, Apr 12, 2007 7:06pm
Posts: 2007
Location: MO
Are you human?: 951
Metal1977 wrote:
shred-o-holic wrote:
But then again lol it's always subjective.......I use a Strymon Sunset OD and that thing is awesome to me but some of the reviews I have read online bash the shit out of it lol :/


The unit is not worth 1/10th of it's price even if you like that kind of sound and i think they know it! They use the hype around their old product to scam people like us that don't have access to the old stuff and like FF tone.

I understand what you mean, but in this case i think it's a scam! I would like to know if someone else got the MK5 and see what they think of it?


I'm glad I saw this thread. I was originally hyped about the pedal. The couple of demos I heard sounded poor, but I was about to chalk it up to user error and order one. I'm glad I didn't now.... :aww:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, Nov 17, 2017 3:35pm 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Jun 24, 2006 3:54pm
Posts: 3490
Location: True North
Are you human?: 951
An interesting tidbit about Dino's stolen Metalhead Marshall; he had other Metalhead Marshalls at the time and felt none of them were close to his stolen #1, so instead of using the second best one he ditched them and started using Line 6 on the next album (horrible tone). So the stolen one must have been really special for him not to use the other Metalhead modded Marshalls.

_________________

Larry amplification
Bogner cabinets w/Celestion Marshall Vintage speakers
BRJ Vixen, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Wagner pickups
RJM, Diamond, Origin, FoxRox, Dunlop, H.B.E. effects


Good deals with : locoed, Racerxrated, GreazyGeo, Nondeplume, chocolatefish, Beyond Black, lespaul6, kickaxeguitars, psychodave, Tonelover, exo-metal


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, Nov 17, 2017 5:44pm 
Offline
FJA Mods
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Jun 23, 2006 10:09pm
Posts: 1394
Location: Syracuse, NY
Are you human?: 951
thegame wrote:
An interesting tidbit about Dino's stolen Metalhead Marshall; he had other Metalhead Marshalls at the time and felt none of them were close to his stolen #1, so instead of using the second best one he ditched them and started using Line 6 on the next album (horrible tone). So the stolen one must have been really special for him not to use the other Metalhead modded Marshalls.


:thumbsup:

_________________
FJA Mods
FJA Mods YouTube
FJA Mods Tech Help Forum
FJA Facebook


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dispatch and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group - Terms of Use