Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Mon, May 27, 2019 2:16am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 14, 2017 9:36pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Are you human?: 951
Metal1977 wrote:
I bought one a couple of months ago. It sounds like shit, no matter how i used it.

Guys, don't do the same mistake i made!

Care to make a quick clip if you still have it? Directly into interface with a cab sim plugin would do...

Amps:
Soldano SLO100 | Wizard MC1
Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Cabs:
Orange PPC412 | Marshall MF400A | Krank SST412 | Soldano 412 | Engl Pro 412 | Mesa Thiele 112

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 14, 2017 10:32pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

godgrinder wrote:
Metal1977 wrote:
I bought one a couple of months ago. It sounds like shit, no matter how i used it.

Care to make a quick clip if you still have it? Directly into interface with a cab sim plugin would do...

I don't have it anymore, gave it away.

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 15, 2017 7:34am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Metal1977 wrote:

What was your main issue with it?

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 15, 2017 9:25am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Metal1977 wrote:

What did you play it into? i.e. Power amp, Amp fx-return? Speakers, speaker emulator?

Eric

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 15, 2017 9:34am 
FJA Mods

I heard it was cool, but it doesn't sound like the amp. The guy that brought the Elan modded Marshall to me picked one up after he bought the amp.

FJA Facebook

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 12:47am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

shred-o-holic wrote:
Metal1977 wrote:

It didn't sound like Nick's preamp or Jerry's awesome modded Marshall in the youtube clip at all. I mean it was totally different, felt like the crappiest metal distortion pedal you can find and believe me i had a couple. Maybe i had a lemon? I tried it with some different power amps, with the same result.

You won't hear me bash products publicly very often but it was probably the worst purchase of my entire 30 years of buying guitar stuff. Maybe i was expecting too much?

It's pretty expensive, i do it to prevent someone from getting ripped off again.

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 12:50am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

ericb wrote:
Metal1977 wrote:

What did you play it into? i.e. Power amp, Amp fx-return? Speakers, speaker emulator?

Eric

Amp fx-return and Power amp.

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 1:16am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

maynardo wrote:
That sounded AWESOME!! :rock: :rock:

The tone reminded me of this demo of a fortin modded marshall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEhFg1_JmjM

I have read that Mike Fortin owned a few Elans and that one (or more) of his amps has a sonic resemblance to the Elan.

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 1:22am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Mine was the new Elan MK5 Dino Pedal Preamp not the old Metalhead Electronics Elan MK2 Preamp.

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 7:48am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Metal1977 wrote:
shred-o-holic wrote:
Metal1977 wrote:

It didn't sound like Nick's preamp or Jerry's awesome modded Marshall in the youtube clip at all. I mean it was totally different, felt like the crappiest metal distortion pedal you can find and believe me i had a couple. Maybe i had a lemon? I tried it with some different power amps, with the same result.

You won't hear me bash products publicly very often but it was probably the worst purchase of my entire 30 years of buying guitar stuff. Maybe i was expecting too much?

It's pretty expensive, i do it to prevent someone from getting ripped off again.

No I think it's always good to put that out there if that is what you found. With the plethora of options for high gain tone nowadays it may save someone a few bucks and wasted time. I have been an FF fan of Dino's tone for a long time so initially it sucks people like me right in.

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 8:09am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

But then again lol it's always subjective.......I use a Strymon Sunset OD and that thing is awesome to me but some of the reviews I have read online bash the shit out of it lol :/

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 9:08am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Be a shame if the new Elan doesn't live up to his past work. I would love to see him start producing product again as his stuff was fairly unique sounding.

V2a wrote:
maynardo wrote:

The tone reminded me of this demo of a fortin modded marshall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEhFg1_JmjM

I have read that Mike Fortin owned a few Elans and that one (or more) of his amps has a sonic resemblance to the Elan.

I've read the same thread in the same place... and it was speculation without any info on Mike's amps beyond "he owned xyz".

It would be like me saying "Oh that Cali mod board must just be a copy of the Friedman c45/fat/sat switch board in the BE100 since the schematics are online and they both have diode clipping and a voice switch".

I'm as curious about the Fortin circuits as the next guy, but let's not spread guess work that isn't based on any actual information.

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 11:06am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

technomancer wrote:
Be a shame if the new Elan doesn't live up to his past work. I would love to see him start producing product again as his stuff was fairly unique sounding.

V2a wrote:
maynardo wrote:

I've read the same thread in the same place... and it was speculation without any info on Mike's amps beyond "he owned xyz".

It would be like me saying "Oh that Cali mod board must just be a copy of the Friedman c45/fat/sat switch board in the BE100 since the schematics are online and they both have diode clipping and a voice switch".

I'm as curious about the Fortin circuits as the next guy, but let's not spread guess work that isn't based on any actual information.

Well, I design and build amps (as a hobby), and so I was careful to say that the Fortin sounds like the Elan. And as you know, that was all that could be claimed on that other forum. As was said in here somewhere (OP?), Elan was ahead of his time (which has given others a chance to learn some tonal secrets). Electronically, there is more than one way to skin a sonic cat.

I once owned a Roccaforte because I wanted to know what went into one of those amps (which were popular at the time). I bought the Egnater 'Boutikit' for the same reason (to learn from master Bruce). And I have schematics galore. I've never copied an amp, but I have certainly learned from other circuits.

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 11:17am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

V2a wrote:
technomancer wrote:

V2a wrote:
maynardo wrote:

Well, I design and build amps (as a hobby), and so I was careful to say that the Fortin sounds like the Elan. And as you know, that was all that could be claimed on that other forum. As was said in here somewhere (OP?), Elan was ahead of his time (which has given others a chance to learn some tonal secrets). Electronically, there is more than one way to skin a sonic cat.

I once owned a Roccaforte because I wanted to know what went into one of those amps (which were popular at the time). I bought the Egnater 'Boutikit' for the same reason (to learn from master Bruce). And I have schematics galore. I've never copied an amp, but I have certainly learned from other circuits.

Yep agreed on all counts, but you know 30 seconds from now somebody is going to be posting Fortins are Elan copies based on what you said regardless of how careful you wording was :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 11:49am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

technomancer wrote:
V2a wrote:
technomancer wrote:

V2a wrote:
maynardo wrote:

Yep agreed on all counts, but you know 30 seconds from now somebody is going to be posting Fortins are Elan copies based on what you said regardless of how careful you wording was :lol: :LOL:

They both have three gain controls too! Oops, there I go again! :doh:

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 6:59pm 
Rock God

There is some truth to Mike at least being a fan of the Elan stuff. When I almost bought a Metalhead marshall, I sent him a pic of the circuit and he confirmed it was Metalhead modded. He had helped me with a Cali mod that needed work, and I emailed him about the amp, if he could confirm it was legit. He said it was and that he also owned a few of his own Metalhead Marshalls along with some original Joses.
Mike is great to deal with.

Roland SDE 3000
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
Peavey Butcher Cab w/K85s
2009 Charvel USA Plum SoCal
1980 Greco EG500 LP
1985 Ibanez Destroyer

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 7:41pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

shred-o-holic wrote:
Metal1977 wrote:
shred-o-holic wrote:
Metal1977 wrote:

No I think it's always good to put that out there if that is what you found. With the plethora of options for high gain tone nowadays it may save someone a few bucks and wasted time. I have been an FF fan of Dino's tone for a long time so initially it sucks people like me right in.

I'm a fan of FF too, i thought the Elan MK5 Dino Preamp Pedal would be like a modern version of the old MK2 Elan Preamp. I have no experience with the old Metalhead Electronics stuff, but i really doubt that they sound the same.

Last edited by Metal1977 on Fri, Nov 17, 2017 5:00am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16, 2017 7:52pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

shred-o-holic wrote:
But then again lol it's always subjective.......I use a Strymon Sunset OD and that thing is awesome to me but some of the reviews I have read online bash the shit out of it lol :/

The unit is not worth 1/10th of it's price even if you like that kind of sound and i think they know it! They use the hype around their old product to scam people like us that don't have access to the old stuff and like FF tone.

I understand what you mean, but in this case i think it's a scam! I would like to know if someone else got the MK5 and see what they think of it?

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 17, 2017 8:34am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Metal1977 wrote:
shred-o-holic wrote:

The unit is not worth 1/10th of it's price even if you like that kind of sound and i think they know it! They use the hype around their old product to scam people like us that don't have access to the old stuff and like FF tone.

I understand what you mean, but in this case i think it's a scam! I would like to know if someone else got the MK5 and see what they think of it?

Thanks, totally appreciate your input, as I temporarily got excited about the preamp pedals.. No more. . I have enough great gear!!! Rock on

Eric

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 17, 2017 10:36am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Metal1977 wrote:
shred-o-holic wrote:

Wow that's a bummer.......thanks again though :rock:

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 17, 2017 2:28pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Metal1977 wrote:
shred-o-holic wrote:

I'm glad I saw this thread. I was originally hyped about the pedal. The couple of demos I heard sounded poor, but I was about to chalk it up to user error and order one. I'm glad I didn't now.... :aww:

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 17, 2017 3:35pm 
Supah Stah

An interesting tidbit about Dino's stolen Metalhead Marshall; he had other Metalhead Marshalls at the time and felt none of them were close to his stolen #1, so instead of using the second best one he ditched them and started using Line 6 on the next album (horrible tone). So the stolen one must have been really special for him not to use the other Metalhead modded Marshalls.

Larry amplification
Bogner cabinets w/Celestion Marshall Vintage speakers
BRJ Vixen, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Wagner pickups
RJM, Diamond, Origin, FoxRox, Dunlop, H.B.E. effects

Good deals with : locoed, Racerxrated, GreazyGeo, Nondeplume, chocolatefish, Beyond Black, lespaul6, kickaxeguitars, psychodave, Tonelover, exo-metal

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 17, 2017 5:44pm 
FJA Mods

thegame wrote:
An interesting tidbit about Dino's stolen Metalhead Marshall; he had other Metalhead Marshalls at the time and felt none of them were close to his stolen #1, so instead of using the second best one he ditched them and started using Line 6 on the next album (horrible tone). So the stolen one must have been really special for him not to use the other Metalhead modded Marshalls.

:thumbsup:

FJA Facebook