Mike Soldano talks about EVH's Marshall

yngzaklynch

Go to about 8:00 to where he kinda gets into it. Mr. Soldano says it was a Stock Marshall! Maybe this was previously posted. Sorry if this is old news.

311splawndude":33llubae said:
I thought the use of a variac was common knowledge.....especially around here :LOL: :LOL:
It is but there has always been rumors of EVHs amps being modded by Jose. From what I gathered both Mike Soldano and Rienhold Bogner have serviced this Marshall.

For crying out loud, who cares what any of these guys say when they saw the amp 15-25 years after it was getting those amazing tones? They all say it was stock, blah blah blah. Unless they are all blind, did they fail to notice the extra hole that was in the back of the amp? Did "stock" 67'-68 Plexi's have an extra hole in them that was then filled in later?

Pic of the #1 EVH Plexi from the VHII recording session. It is quite well established that this is THE #1 amp. There is a pot with no knob on it all the way on the left side of the amp. Stock right? :confused:

And here is a pic of that same amp YEARS later after the first guy "restored" it. Filled in hole and now the amp is stock.

I think the simple fact of the matter is that this amp was not stock during the era that it created the tone we are all still talking about today.

I swear, this reminds me of years ago being in the vintage Porsche world and people would be selling a car and saying it was stock and all original. Further inspection would show that it had once had a roll cage in it at some more fun part in its lifetime. But now it was returned to and being represented as stock. I think an expert calling this amp stock and not pointing out that there were obvious signs the amp wasn't always stock is an incomplete description.

Even if it is just a master volume. That is not stock.

yngzaklynch":33hjpjpw said:
311splawndude":33hjpjpw said:
I thought the use of a variac was common knowledge.....especially around here :LOL: :LOL:
It is but there has always been rumors of EVHs amps being modded by Jose. From what I gathered both Mike Soldano and Rienhold Bogner have serviced this Marshall.
No offense to Mike Soldano, I just thought it was funny that he said it wasn't modded and then went into some detail about that instead Eddie used a variac and how that inspired him to create the Hot Rod 25. I'm not saying it was modded or not modded. I don't think we'll ever know. I believe that recent interview with Eddie he also says it was stock. The sober Eddie that is.

Who knows. If I had to guess, I'd say Eddie had quite a few Marshalls over the years. Some were modded, some were not. Eddie was probably so fucked up all the time he honestly doesn't remember.

Well you have to take Eddie's word for it that it was the #1. I mean after all the one thing he is know for is complete and honest transparency. :thumbsdown:

Chubtone":1u55dfxw said:
For crying out loud, who cares what any of these guys say when they saw the amp 15-25 years after it was getting those amazing tones? They all say it was stock, blah blah blah. Unless they are all blind, did they fail to notice the extra hole that was in the back of the amp? Did "stock" 67'-68 Plexi's have an extra hole in them that was then filled in later?

Pic of the #1 EVH Plexi from the VHII recording session. It is quite well established that this is THE #1 amp. There is a pot with no knob on it all the way on the left side of the amp. Stock right? :confused:

And here is a pic of that same amp YEARS later after the first guy "restored" it. Filled in hole and now the amp is stock.

I think the simple fact of the matter is that this amp was not stock during the era that it created the tone we are all still talking about today.

The isolated tracks sound like a dimed plexi to me. I also thought I read somewhere that the pot was for some sort of line out?? But based on all of the misdirection and misinformation at this point who knows :confused:

A few years back John Suhr posted in a discussion of Ed's Marshall over at TGP; if I recall correctly his comment was that the amp was bone stock when he serviced it in the nineties, with the exception of a tiny tweak that didn't affect the gain structure and which anyone could do. Most tellingly he also commented that the condition of the solder joints indicated that it had never BEEN modded at any time.

Of course being TGP the amp police descended on Mr Suhr, basically accusing him of not knowing anything about amps or tone or Van Halen. Then everybody started arguing about the super-secret modifications Jose Arredondo had done to the amp, while one of the world's most respected amp-builders - who had literally had the amp open on his workbench - got ignored. It was hilarious.

Eddie was terrible for adding pickups to guitars that did nothing. Pots that were just for looks. I would suspect the same for his amplifier.

If anything a PPIMV on an old marshall is enough to get the van halen tone. It really isnt rocket science...play whatever sounds right to you.

shgshg":2rwm9t07 said:
A few years back John Suhr posted in a discussion of Ed's Marshall over at TGP; if I recall correctly his comment was that the amp was bone stock when he serviced it in the nineties, with the exception of a tiny tweak that didn't affect the gain structure and which anyone could do. Most tellingly he also commented that the condition of the solder joints indicated that it had never BEEN modded at any time.

Of course being TGP the amp police descended on Mr Suhr, basically accusing him of not knowing anything about amps or tone or Van Halen. Then everybody started arguing about the super-secret modifications Jose Arredondo had done to the amp, while one of the world's most respected amp-builders - who had literally had the amp open on his workbench - got ignored. It was hilarious.

eh, what da hell does he know, right?!

:jerkit:

I've read many of these threads over the years about Eddie's #1. I've concluded the following in my mind:

If multiple amp builders, who physically had the amp in their possession, say it was stock, than that is what I'm going with. Eddie saying it was stock is the cherry on top.

Every one of them would benefit more if they were to say it was modified. One more reason to believe them.

I'm at peace........... :LOL: :LOL:

This is the world of facts not being facts, when those facts are coming from the very people who would and do know.
But, in this world those people who would and do know are disregarded as not knowing the facts because some keyboard jockey claims he knows more than those who would and do know.

The internet has become reality by typing opinions.
Experts are regarded as having agenda's and thus can't be trusted or believed.
People who actually research things professionally and actually know the facts and details are disregarded because the facts they give to the general public doesn't jibe with personal opinion.
It's like nothing is actually knowable and factual outside of one's own opinion.

When I was a kid there was a term for people who always denied facts and real authorities on subjects, we called them "know it all's", and we knew what they were full of.....and it wasn't knowledge. :)
Get yer boots on!

nevusofota":1drvykad said:
I've read many of these threads over the years about Eddie's #1. I've concluded the following in my mind:

If multiple amp builders, who physically had the amp in their possession, say it was stock, than that is what I'm going with. Eddie saying it was stock is the cherry on top.

Every one of them would benefit more if they were to say it was modified. One more reason to believe them.

I'm at peace........... :LOL: :LOL:

Amen.
Peace brother! :)

shgshg":tl5nx33t said:

Did John discuss the extra hole in the back of the amp? I don't think it can get any clearer than pictured evidence of #1 in the recording studio for VH II and pictured evidence of #1 in the early 90's after the guy in Europe restored it to stock. Same amp.

Now I can believe it was just a master volume of some sort. This goes back to my story of the original Marshall "Atomica" amp that Mark Cameron and I found in the truck full of amps purchased from Jose's family after Jose passed away. That amp just had a master volume and sounded unbelievable. That amp sounded like Van Halen and not at ridiculous volumes either. And the other amps that were on that truck with "Mick Mars" and "Warren DeMartini" and "Neal Schon" and "Bruce Bouillet" names on invoices taped to the amps makes me think there were several well known pro players who seemed to think some work from Mr. Arrendondo might be worth doing on their amps.

I don't present these replies to argue. This topic still interests me even after it has been beaten to death over and over and over again.

Curt I am not arguing for mor against. I just benjoyed hearing the Soldano 25 watt amp. I jujst thought it was interesting the Mike fsaid the amp was stock. Do we know the actual amp Mike was given by Ed and the amp in these pics is the same???? These are the kinds of things that will be talked about forever. At the end of the day I don't care. I enjoy all the classic great tones no matter how they were achieved

Chubtone":z5fkv6pp said:
shgshg":z5fkv6pp said:

Did John discuss the extra hole in the back of the amp? I don't think it can get any clearer than pictured evidence of #1 in the recording studio for VH II and pictured evidence of #1 in the early 90's after the guy in Europe restored it to stock. Same amp.

Now I can believe it was just a master volume of some sort. This goes back to my story of the original Marshall "Atomica" amp that Mark Cameron and I found in the truck full of amps purchased from Jose's family after Jose passed away. That amp just had a master volume and sounded unbelievable. That amp sounded like Van Halen and not at ridiculous volumes either. And the other amps that were on that truck with "Mick Mars" and "Warren DeMartini" and "Neal Schon" and "Bruce Bouillet" names on invoices taped to the amps makes me think there were several well known pro players who seemed to think some work from Mr. Arrendondo might be worth doing on their amps.

I don't present these replies to argue. This topic still interests me even after it has been beaten to death over and over and over again.

Better yet...what happened to all those other guys amps? That's what I want to know.

Back