Mesa Mark IIB vs Mesa mark IC+

Never is right Jason. There's just no comparison to make. The OP needs to reverse the name of the post btw. Really its IIC+ vs IIB but even boosted the IIB only gets closer but over the wall, no effin way...

It's really simple.
MIIB for cleans, MIIC+ for high gain. You want mid gain, buy a Germino.

Ps: I really don't get the 5-6.000$ MIIC+ bullshit when you can have this sound and feel (plus much more) at 1800$ used..

snowdog":3j3z9etc said:
you can always send it in to Boogie for an upgrade

For the longest time I have been one of the only people advising against this. Most people don't want to shell out the cash to get a real deal fully loaded IIC+ like the actual ones real bands use like Metallica, Dream Theater, Prince, Night Ranger, Sykes... etc...

The IIB or III wont get you there and sure the upgrades will make it sound "Better" but when all is said and done if you just shelled out the cash for the real deal IIC+ in the beginning it would have come out to the same cost or even less when you factor in all the shipping back and forth to Mesa, adding options that were missing etc. and since now you upgraded and modified an original amp your resale value took a hit and you will never get the money back that you invested into it.

So if the IIC+ tone is what you are looking for get the real deal and if you don't like it you can probably resell for what you bought it for or more, worst case scenario. As opposed to dropping all this money on buying three IIB or C or III amps and having them swapped faceplates, options, els etc... not worth it.

Just something to think about.

I love the sound that Brad Gillis had on Speak Of The Devil.

I believe that was a pair of Mark IIB's

4406cuda":3bptbsaz said:

Without getting into it, Mesa has confirmed that Night Ranger has had ordered and received a XDRG long head with a C++ mod. Someone I know has the head with confirmed paperwork or should I say E-mail correspondence from Mesa.

Not saying Brad Gillis did not use a IIB but the information I learned has me doubting that is what he used a IIB exclusively after getting the C+ or ++ amps.

EXPcustom":llqhwt8x said:
snowdog":llqhwt8x said:

For the longest time I have been one of the only people advising against this. Most people don't want to shell out the cash to get a real deal fully loaded IIC+ like the actual ones real bands use like Metallica, Dream Theater, Prince, Night Ranger, Sykes... etc...

The IIB or III wont get you there and sure the upgrades will make it sound "Better" but when all is said and done if you just shelled out the cash for the real deal IIC+ in the beginning it would have come out to the same cost or even less when you factor in all the shipping back and forth to Mesa, adding options that were missing etc. and since now you upgraded and modified an original amp your resale value took a hit and you will never get the money back that you invested into it.

So if the IIC+ tone is what you are looking for get the real deal and if you don't like it you can probably resell for what you bought it for or more, worst case scenario. As opposed to dropping all this money on buying three IIB or C or III amps and having them swapped faceplates, options, els etc... not worth it.

Mike Bendinelli who created the C+ will tell you that a C+ is a C+ is a C+ whether it is upgraded or not. There are people who own 6 or even more C+s and they prefer an upgraded HRG over a fully loaded long chassis DRG. It's all tonal opinion man, no way that you can say that an original DRG long chassis ALWAYS sounds best. For my money a C+ Coli would shit all over your DRG tonally. But that's just me. And, if I buy a 2C+ no eq for cheap and pirate the pre board to make my 2B Coli a 2C+ Coli, it will still be a real deal C+ because the man who created the C+ will be converting it for me.
There are AT LEAST 5 guys on the Boogie Board who prefer an upgraded C+ over some of their original DRGs.

EXPcustom":21vrv4jc said:
4406cuda":21vrv4jc said:

Without getting into it, Mesa has confirmed that Night Ranger has had ordered and received a XDRG long head with a C++ mod. Someone I know has the head with confirmed paperwork or should I say E-mail correspondence from Mesa.

Not saying Brad Gillis did not use a IIB but the information I learned has me doubting that is what he used a IIB exclusively after getting the C+ or ++ amps.
He used a pair of 2Bs for ozzy. With NR they used 2Cs NOT C+ for the first album, then received C+ for the second. On the Boogie Board there is a thread all about it when a member bought Jeff Watson's C+.

Racerxrated":1p7rs7r2 said:
EXPcustom":1p7rs7r2 said:
snowdog":1p7rs7r2 said:

Mike Bendinelli who created the C+ will tell you that a C+ is a C+ is a C+ whether it is upgraded or not. There are people who own 6 or even more C+s and they prefer an upgraded HRG over a fully loaded long chassis DRG. It's all tonal opinion man, no way that you can say that an original DRG long chassis ALWAYS sounds best. For my money a C+ Coli would shit all over your DRG tonally. But that's just me. And, if I buy a 2C+ no eq for cheap and pirate the pre board to make my 2B Coli a 2C+ Coli, it will still be a real deal C+ because the man who created the C+ will be converting it for me.
There are AT LEAST 5 guys on the Boogie Board who prefer an upgraded C+ over some of their original DRGs.

I don't mean to come off as my shits awesome and everyone else shits sucks but I am jealous of original factory C++ and some coliseum variant owners.

Just saying that resale and Ebay values don't favor upgraded Mesa amps. I advise people to buy what they are looking for not purchasing stuff they have to modify or upgrade to get what they want. I learned this lesson long ago when it came to gear. Nowadays buying something just to find out it isn't what you wanted or pictured in your mind could be a costly mistake and have your stuff sitting on Reverb for months or years just to break even.

Once I actually started working with big time rock bands they only had the real deal stuff. For example the IIC+ long head being sold by the Rammstein dude on Reverb today (although slightly over priced). They didn't use base line models for recording or mess with upgraded stuff, they had no interest in it.

There are a few good IIC+ clips on Youtube and Soundcloud but I have yet to hear a collesium blow them away but I am open to clips of the real deal. Most artists preferred the Simulclass version of the amps back then and I assume it was for a reason.

My point is you can Frankenstein a fully loaded collesium IIC+ head if you want but the amount of money you will spend doing it will cost more than an all original one and then when all is said and done when you go to sell it you'll take a hit because it is not original.

Also one more thing I wanted to add I could care less what forum members thought of their IIC+ variants unless they were musicians and had actual recording of their IIC+ amps. Of course someone who compromises on the price of an amp for whatever reason is going to justify their purchase and claim its just as good. Like I say, proof is in the pudding.

EXPcustom":218qx15a said:
Racerxrated":218qx15a said:
EXPcustom":218qx15a said:
snowdog":218qx15a said:

I don't mean to come off as my shits awesome and everyone else shits sucks but I am jealous of original factory C++ and some coliseum variant owners.

Just saying that resale and Ebay values don't favor upgraded Mesa amps. I advise people to buy what they are looking for not purchasing stuff they have to modify or upgrade to get what they want. I learned this lesson long ago when it came to gear. Nowadays buying something just to find out it isn't what you wanted or pictured in your mind could be a costly mistake and have your stuff sitting on Reverb for months or years just to break even.

Once I actually started working with big time rock bands they only had the real deal stuff. For example the IIC+ long head being sold by the Rammstein dude on Reverb today (although slightly over priced). They didn't use base line models for recording or mess with upgraded stuff, they had no interest in it.

There are a few good IIC+ clips on Youtube and Soundcloud but I have yet to hear a collesium blow them away but I am open to clips of the real deal. Most artists preferred the Simulclass version of the amps back then and I assume it was for a reason.

My point is you can Frankenstein a fully loaded collesium IIC+ head if you want but the amount of money you will spend doing it will cost more than an all original one and then when all is said and done when you go to sell it you'll take a hit because it is not original.
I hear you on the value, I do agree that an original DRG long head will go for big cash, but not as much as a 2C+ Coli. Simply for the rarity of it. Only what, 80 something? There's a DRGX on ebay right now, original fully loaded long head for 6K and it's not selling. My 2B Coli, if I found a cheaper 2C to pirate I'd have maybe 3500 into the project. I'm confident that a 2C+ Coliseum would go for at least 4K if not 5-6. There's at least 600 original DRGs out there, less than 100 2C+ Colis. Pretty rare amp.

exo-metal":jwxsi5wo said:
Don't worry Jason you'll get your chance to go up against my IIC++ Coliseum real soon...

Look forward to it... :rock:

I got two leads right now on longheads a XDRG C+ and a XDRG C++, hoping one of them comes through in the next month or so.

Sick!!!! That's the right timeline from what Mike said. You plan on snagging both or do I need to step up and help get the other one?

Lol, someone is full of themselves.

First off, originals are hard as hell to find. Not all of us are band groupies like yourself, giving head for amps.

Second you are partnered with a umm...Marshall modder. It’s what he does no? He mods amps. :LOL: :LOL:

Extra inches in amps and better metal for speakers...that’s what you think better tone is. For real.

Back