Mesa Mark IIB vs Mesa mark IC+

ampjunkie

Why is the Mark IIB so much less desirable than the IIC and later Boogie heads?

I saw one for sale locally for cheap. I went online and at least from clips, it sounded essentially the same for OD tones as the next generation Mesa Boogie heads.

Anyone had a chance to compare?

I had one long ago.That amp had no where near the feel or gain as a IIC+
I stuck it out with mine and a shitload of pedals...till I could dump it.

I have a MK2b, which was my very first Boogie. I've liked it so much that I've bought and sold quite a few other Boogies, and have kept a MK2c+, a DR # 231 and a DR # 590.
Here is a short sample of a MK2b and a MK2c+. From 0s to 54s is the MK2b, with the 2c+ right after.
It's just a simple file, with the guitars doubled. No fx or boost. Just a Jackson RR plugged straight in.

https://soundcloud.com/user4035542/sets/mesa-mk2-heads

I really like the 2b clean sound...the dirty channel was pretty nice for the times. That said the 2c+ KILLS a 2b in every catagory. No comparison.

It looks like Soundcloud is acting weird...
Anyway, the 2b is a great metal amp, but really shine on classic rock, and I've even recorded some AC/DC like bands using the 2b with great success. It does this amazingly well. It does metal really, but really good too!
Why it's not as great as a metal amp as the 2c+? Because the 2c+ "is" one of the best metal amps ever built!
By the way, I've never played any Mark series combo that I've liked as much as the 100w Mark series heads played through a EV loaded cab or a 4x12 with V30s.

ampjunkie":1rh70vqo said:
Why is the Mark IIB so much less desirable than the IIC and later Boogie heads?

I saw one for sale locally for cheap. I went online and at least from clips, it sounded essentially the same for OD tones as the next generation Mesa Boogie heads.

Anyone had a chance to compare?

If the IIB is "loaded" with the EQ, Reverb, and Simulclass options, it might be worth looking at. There is a FX loop mod that will turn it into a poor man's C+. This will require shipping the amp back to Boogie, though. The mod adds a knob on the back of the amp that can be used as a master volume, and thus turning the front panel Master volume knob into an "FX Send Level" adjustment for the loop. The rear panel knob can be used as the overall master with or without anything plugged into the loop, or set to a pre-determined level to act as if it is not even in the circuit.

i had the IIb series 300 in a wicker cane headshell hand signed by randy smith!
modded it to simul-class.

it was for me a one channel amp that could either be set for a killer clean ala mark I with some lone star/electrodyne overtones,
or a crunch that was a precursur to the IIc
but i could never get it to do both a dialed clean and a dialed dirty

and the volume jump from 0 to like 1.3 was heart attack city

They are not night and day... however, both amps were set to fit the song, so the controls are very different on both amps.
The 2c+ is a lot brighter and more aggressive, with a note sustain that feels completely different from any other amp to the players hand.
In the end, I think the main difference between them is that from the way they were set for this recording, if you back off the gain for a more classic rock tone the 2b would be the winner. If what you want is pure metal and beyond, the 2c+ wins hands down.

sounds close, even with headphones on. i can hear differences though.

yeti":9ag8zt7c said:
sounds close, even with headphones on. i can hear differences though.

They do because they are set to sound alike and better fit the song.
If you set their controls the same, they will sound like a stock 2203 compared to a 2000 DSL.
The idea with the sample is to show how good a well maintained 2b can sound, even compared with a 2c+.

it does sound good...i passed on one with simul and eq, back about 2 years ago for 900.....should i be kicking myself?

I believe that's the going price still, Yeti.
Mine, when I got it, needed maintenance and looked like shit. Soundwise, was one of the worst amps I've heard, but it was on sale, used at GC for $200,00, since no one wanted the ugly horrible sounding amp.
So I've got it and took it straight to the Hollywood Mesa store and left it there for the so needed tubes + check up.
Two weeks after I went to pick it up and John(store manager and tech) tells me "This thing sounds fucking good!".
By the way, mine is the 100w head, with EQ, but no reverb. And it's a 100/60, not a Simul-Class.
The 2c+ was in even worst condition when I got it. It didn't even had a head box, and spent a few years sitting on top of a couple of pieces of wood, to not break the tubes.
So, if you see one of these for cheap, check if the transformers are good. If so, just get it and send it to the Mesa Store or to the factory. They do take care of their products amazingly well! And you won't believe the amp when it's back.

My next Mark amp will be a Mk3 red or blue stripe. Supposedly more aggressive sounding than a 2c+.

I just had an old stereo preamp serviced and modded with the MK 2 C+ mod by the Mesa UK tech. Not fully tried it yet as the only stereo power amp I have is the simulclass 395 and thats away to get serviced as well. Anyone ever had and used the studio with that mod? Does it even come near to the real MK2 amps?

IIB has a very loose low end that gets a bit too flubby for high gain metal tones IMO.
I mean don't get me wrong, you can cop some great old school/classic metal tones, but it just doesn't have the tightness or quick response the c+ has. The c+ has more gain on tap, and very solid low end that gets you that "Hetfield God Sound" as Bob Rock put it.
The IIB has amazing clean, and early break up tones, that you can pretty much get on a c+ with different settings.
Mike b's loop mod, if you can afford it, makes that amp have the tight low end of the c+, but still the milder gain thickness of the IIB, giving it a unique sound all its own. i'd love to have another one of those one day.

IIb is more common, as way more were made, so that also keeps it in a realistic price range, although they certainly have bumped up in value 3 or 4 hundred in the last 10 years. When i was flipping gear in the mid 2000's those could be obtained for 500 to 850 max for a nice loaded one. maybe a grand if it was hard wood. Now, unless they're in some ugly ass cabinet or hacked up, they start around 800 used.
c+'s have jumped about a grand, easily in the last 10 years.

edit: someone got a steal right here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie-Ma ... Sw6zNbhjSr

I agree with Jim on all counts, with one exception....the 2B Coli I just bought about a month ago. And, I believe Jim had one similar to mine in the past? This one is tight tight tight in the low end, and has the limiter circuit. I did own an older 2B Coli and had Mike B do the loop mod, and this one does not have the gain of that previous one. But my new one has a serial that should put it into the 2C range, but it is clearly a 2B with the preamp board being RP9C. It has the gain of a 2C and the feel is almost the magical bounce of the 2C. Definitely a bridge amp right before the 2C, I'll find out more about this amp when it goes to Mike B for a service in the future.
I would say the biggest difference with the C+ and other Marks is the feel...pretty amazing and unmatched with any other amp.

Back