school me on the mesa triaxsis

There's a few different versions.. I have the smaller one..

49693626533_193f758fe1_c.jpg

midnightlaundry":37mzibux said:

Jeeeeeezzzz that was my exact setup 23 years ago ! Triaxis + Lexicon MPX-1 + 2:90 + two 1960 !! Massive tone !!!! :rock:

Yes.. The old Rack.. That Shockrack was the most awkward heap to carry around but I didn't worry about my gear. I sold the Rack itself and the Mesa Gear. I still have the Cabs, MPX, and Ground Control and I accidentally killed my Tuner.. Man I miss a nice Rack Tuner..

The best thing about that Setup was that every Tone was complete with Effects right at your foot. It just wasn't that practical. I don't own a vehicle that could fit all of that anymore! LOL

So I watched a few videos and went on Reverb and bought a Voodoo Labs Ground control Pro, the one with the VooDoo Labs' logo on it, they'll fix it for free if it goes down and they'll even pay for return shipping. That's a great company!!! $115.00 + $15.00 shipping. Thanks Jeff's Gear Bazaar.

Jack Luminous":e69r3weg said:
midnightlaundry":e69r3weg said:

Jeeeeeezzzz that was my exact setup 23 years ago ! Triaxis + Lexicon MPX-1 + 2:90 + two 1960 !! Massive tone !!!! :rock:
OMG! I totally forgot that I have that very same controller. It's been sitting in the closet for years. It stopped working, so I tossed it in the closet. If I recall correctly, it was like $90.00 to get it going again. The light comes on, but no digits. Maybe they were all zeros? Worked great, when it worked. I still have the original box too.

My Triaxis was awesome, once I modified the Rectifier channel. Not as good as the Quad, but good.

Markedman":3l2udraw said:
So I watched a few videos and went on Reverb and bought a Voodoo Labs Ground control Pro, the one with the VooDoo Labs' logo on it, they'll fix it for free if it goes down and they'll even pay for return shipping. That's a great company!!! $115.00 + $15.00 shipping. Thanks Jeff's Gear Bazaar.

Nice. Midi really is awesome. Use the expression pedals to morph the TriAxis and your Effects box. I always blend in Delay for example. You can control any function like mix levels, chorus speeds.. Whatever you can create..

I am pretty excited for the midi set-up. I was an old school Marshall/Fender distortion/boost pedal guy until I found Boogie amps a couple of years ago and I dig the Triaxis 50/50 tone.

Voodoo lab ground control by John Bazzano, on Flickr

Voodoo lab controller by John Bazzano, on Flickr

Every video I've watched on midi switching does suck moose meat. A lot of "oops, that is, um, hang on, wait for it,.. okay , did you get that?" "I know what I'm doing but I don't know why it won't work now, hang on, there, I think, did you get that? Oh, wait, I think I know what happened. Okay, nope, wait a second, nope, um, ah hang on, shit, I just did it a minute ago, I don't know what happened."

I'll figure midi out, I'm sure it all makes sense after you do it enough.

Here's the new stuff -

The gang’s all here‼️ by John Bazzano, on Flickr

I had two triaxis preamps. V1 and V2 with TX4 board. I had both modded by Boogie to make the 2C+ channel into 2C++. I then paired each triaxis to its own custom made GEQ made by Mike B at Boogie. I would bypass the onboard EQ and use the GEQ between the preamp power amp. I used a high gain switched and CAE switched to be able to control each preamp... I usually used them together in stereo, but I did have patches set up for one side. I ran everything in a Mesa Strategy 400. I modified both sides of the Strategy 400 for depth circuits. The sound was massive. A few years ago I ended up parting it all out.

I've often thought about swapping my quad out for a triaxis in my Bradshaw rig.But I love the mkiii side in it..just so raw..I had a triaxis 20 yrs ago..loved it for what it was.I cant remember, does the tri have any raw mk iii type tones in it? Curious...

psychodave":27hv78b7 said:
I had two triaxis preamps. V1 and V2 with TX4 board. I had both modded by Boogie to make the 2C+ channel into 2C++. I then paired each triaxis to its own custom made GEQ made by Mike B at Boogie. I would bypass the onboard EQ and use the GEQ between the preamp power amp. I used a high gain switched and CAE switched to be able to control each preamp... I usually used them together in stereo, but I did have patches set up for one side. I ran everything in a Mesa Strategy 400. I modified both sides of the Strategy 400 for depth circuits. The sound was massive. A few years ago I ended up parting it all out.

Cool, sounds like you pursued what the Triaxis can do in its final form.

After all that, can you comment on how well that rig would compare to any of the Mark heads? I was always fond of Lead 2 red, as well as yellow, but never had an opportunity to directly compare.

If I were still into the "tap-dancing for tone" game, I'd choose the Triaxis. With the right mods, it's a tough act to beat. Rocktron made a cool MIDI preamp, but it was noisy. Mine was anyway. The untilmate MIDI preamp? Caswell/Soldano.

hope it works out for you.I went thru 2 versions of the triaxis.Version 1- was pretty cool..then a version with phat mod- didn't really care for it.
I now have a ver.2 w/ tx4d board and it absolutely kills with my strategy 500.Its a beast..also some killer modern country,pop rock tones in it besides the normal chugga chugga cookie munster thing.
And its been serviced, and I swear the ill fated dynamic voice is not bad at all.Doesnt really affect anything tone wise till 7ish or so.I do have an eq for the loop tho too.
The quad may be a bit more " real amp feel" like,but the shear versatility of the tri is a major point.

I still have a rack with a Furman Power Conditioner, a Mesa V2 TriAxis, a Rocktron Xpression, and a 2:90. I loved that setup. Recorded a CD back in the day (about 10 years ago) with it and gigged with it. Later on I got some great sounding heads and chose to leave the 80 pound (which was as streamlined as I could make it!) rack home and take a 45-60 pound head out to gigs instead. Will never get rid of that setup though. It’s been about a year and a half since I last played through it but, damn it always put a smile on my face—even now just thinking about it!

Back