school me on the mesa triaxsis

the rossness

The Mesa Triaxsis was recommended to me in another thread. Until listening to a few clips, I'd never heard of it. Can someone school me on it? It sounds good from what I can hear.

Never heard of a Triaxis :confused:

"Okay, class is in session"

13325631834_d86f381f3f_o.jpg

Okay class, Digital disbelievers scoffed at the very idea of packing five 12AX7’s and 25 years of tube tone heritage into one rack space of pure magic...but there they are...five little tone bottles, glowing quietly-all too ready to rock the house.

Eight separate modes deliver the elusive creamy gain of the Mark I, the heralded focus of the Mark IIC+, the scooped Rhythm of the Mark IV™, and a modified British lead mode. But these are just a few of the classic sounds at your fingertips.

Most programmable preamps start with a digital control circuit and then adapt the audio to fit the confines of the digital framework. We weren’t about to compromise the audio just to take the short cut. Instead, our three years of research produced a patented technology which preserves in every nuance and detail the exact audio elements which made these classic sounds in the first place. The digital circuitry was forced to serve—not dictate the tone.

Each control’s up and down keys work much like an old style knob...all parameters are displayed and active all the time. To you, that means no scrolling to find your Treble on the gig. You don’t have to wonder how your Bass and Mid are set, you can see them from across the stage.

You can store your favorite sounds into 90 user presets and these can be mapped to any of the 128 midi program locations. To get you started, we’ve included 20 defeatable / retrievable factory presets, 10 of which can demonstrate SmartPower™ voicing options where TriAxis controls our power amps, switching their capabilities to further enhance individual modes and sounds.

Make no mistake—TRIAXIS IS an arsenal of the most powerful guitar tones available in the world today...and that’s without using the Continuous Control function. But don’t believe us, just listen to the likes of John Petrucci, Rocky George, Reeves Gabrels, Adrian Belew, and James Hetfield.

head over to grailtone.com and dig around a bit....there's a wealth of info on that site!

Ross, a friend of mine has one in his rack, plays in 80's cover band. He is extremely happy with. Hope that helps.
P.S. Do you still love the MarkUS?

If you do find a minty one with the Phat mod you can have it reversed. Pretty easy reversal actually. Afa power amps go, it does sound good with the 2/90, but the 2-100 sounds great with it too. I worked with Mesa years ago and had quite a few different poweramps that I used and they all sounded good with it. Its just personal preference I guess. Good luck!!

phil b, what is better actually - to find a minty one with the Phat mod to be reversed or to find real Recto Vintage v2.0 w/o Phat mod. Thanks.

Petrucci":15ep5rqj said:
Ross, a friend of mine has one in his rack, plays in 80's cover band. He is extremely happy with. Hope that helps.
P.S. Do you still love the MarkUS?
The MarkUS is still my favorite MTS module. Its followed pretty closely by my Terrier. I'm discovering that while I have grailtones like the SLO, I'm a better player when I have a amp/ module that responds immediatley to my playing and isn't as saturated as something like a SLO of 5150. The MarkUS and Terrier both do this and I'd love to get a hybrid amp built for me that's a cross between both of them, and isn't a sigX.

I liked my MarkUS so much that last year I bought a Mark V only to discover that I liked my module more and sold the mesa. Since the Terrier is based on a VHT, I've been looking into those amps, but without playing them beforehand it leaves me wanting. Maybe I can pick up a cheap D60 at some point. I'm also 90% sure I'm getting a kemper because I cant afford all these amps and what it cost to tone chase.I'd love to find a profile that feels like a Mesa/ VHT lovechild. When I posted my question on the Seymour Duncan forums, someone told me to check out the Mesa preamp.

Ross, as far as I know you /from the MTS forum/ I have a feeling, that you won't fall in love with the Kemper...but that just me...

Petrucci":1wnj166b said:
phil b, what is better actually - to find a minty one with the Phat mod to be reversed or to find real Recto Vintage v2.0 w/o Phat mod. Thanks.

What led me to pick up a Triaxis was Mike Romeo had lent me his for a while and it sounded great but was pretty old and beat up. LOL . I looked around for a mint one without the Phat mod but most of them I found had some sort of display problem or was beat to shit. I finally found one in pristine shape with Phat and grabbed it. Had never heard the Phat version so I A/B'd it with Mikes and it was horrible. I swapped the tubes and it still sounded like ass. Called my tech and he reversed it in less than 20 mins or so. A/B'd it again and all was good. I think the schematics are on the Boogieboard also. Hope that helped! :)

crankyrayhanky":3q3zoyo4 said:
Sort of sucks without the matching power amp
I will have to disagree with this. I had one with a mesa 50/50 and thought it actually sounded great. I had a 2:90 as well, but I always thought, to my ears, the 50/50 sounded the most organic.
:yes:

In my experience the triaxis is a love it or hate it thing. Me personally, I hated it a lot but I know guys that swear by them and nothing else.

I know, that the fat mod affects the rectifier sound ONLY and none of the other distortion modes nor the clean modes, or am I wrong?

Wow, this is from way back!

I was considering one but was warned that they used a ton of LDRs and that those slowly drift over time and the unit then requires 'tuning'...and that tuning is a total pita and maybe even requires special equipment (Oscope and sig generator?). Any truth to any of that?

Back