Suhr Modern Satin... So how are they?

LP Freak

These caught my eye and was just wanting to hear from those who have tied or own one. I also wanted opinions on the Gotoh 510 vs the Gotoh Floyd.

LP Freak":2yw19g64 said:
These caught my eye and was just wanting to hear from those who have tied or own one. I also wanted opinions on the Gotoh 510 vs the Gotoh Floyd.

I have 3 Suhr moderns & the African mahogany Modern Satin is BY FAR the best of the lot, playing & tone wise.

Doughboy":a77wph40 said:
LP Freak":a77wph40 said:

I have 3 Suhr moderns & the African mahogany Modern Satin is BY FAR the best of the lot, playing & tone wise.

I pretty much feel the same way. I recently had three Custom Moderns along with my Natural Satin. I got to where I like it as much as my Customs, that I recently sold one of my Customs to make room for another Satin model (black this time), that should be here in June. I'll probably keep it set up in Eb. They sound so organic and pleasing to me.

I loved mine. They come it with an OFR though not a Gotoh Floyd.

The neck and body are NOT sanded down smooth. They have a little rough and gritty feel. I didn't like it at first compared to my Custom Moderns but I got used to it very quickly.

Tone Zone":2kupl36o said:
Doughboy":2kupl36o said:
LP Freak":2kupl36o said:

I pretty much feel the same way. I recently had three Custom Moderns along with my Natural Satin. I got to where I like it as much as my Customs, that I recently sold one of my Customs to make room for another Satin model (black this time), that should be here in June. I'll probably keep it set up in Eb. They sound so organic and pleasing to me.

Organic is the key word here. They sound more natural than any of my other guitars. I think this is due to the lack of paint & finish, as now the body can breath more.

They don't look as cool as my dyed guitars with fancy tops, but they sound better & that's all that counts in the end.

Metlupass2":13h1xueo said:
I loved mine. They come it with an OFR though not a Gotoh Floyd.

The neck and body are NOT sanded down smooth. They have a little rough and gritty feel. I didn't like it at first compared to my Custom Moderns but I got used to it very quickly.

I bought his Satin and I love it. It just sings and plays as nice as my other Suhr Modern (Mark Day). It's also is so light. At first I thought about sanding the neck but I also got used to it quickly.

Not an owner, but I spent a bunch of time with one yesterday, my local shop just got one in. I normally don't like the necks on the Modern Pros, but that Satin finish Mahogany felt amazing. Same under my arm on the body. Great, raw feel. Rang well, and really sang.

The same shop has a couple of Modern Pros with amazing flame tops. I'd take the plain satin Mahogany over either of them any day. I liked it enough that I'm pondering what I can sell (such as my MIJ Charvel Pro Mod) to get one.

Wow, I'm pretty amazed at the consensus here but I like what I'm hearing. I was considering going with the 510 trem for the ease of string changing and tuning but I'm concerned with the stability. Any opinions? And who's got the best price on these? I only see MAP listed online. I was wanting black with the H/H configuration.

LP Freak":2lx1lf1b said:
Wow, I'm pretty amazed at the consensus here but I like what I'm hearing. I was considering going with the 510 trem for the ease of string changing and tuning but I'm concerned with the stability. Any opinions? And who's got the best price on these? I only see MAP listed online. I was wanting black with the H/H configuration.

Both trems will sound different. I have a floyd & it still sounds amazing & I don't go out of tune.

My other Suhr modern has a 510 trem & it sounds weaker & I have tuning issues all the time.

Doughboy":1yljdzm0 said:
LP Freak":1yljdzm0 said:

Both trems will sound different. I have a floyd & it still sounds amazing & I don't go out of tune.

My other Suhr modern has a 510 trem & it sounds weaker & I have tuning issues all the time.
Yeah that's what I was afraid of

LP Freak":19l3xmp1 said:
Doughboy":19l3xmp1 said:
LP Freak":19l3xmp1 said:

Yeah that's what I was afraid of

With any guitar, you never know what it will sound like until you play it.

My Suhr Satin sounds amazing, but looks dull & plain.

My bengal burst Suhr Modern is one the best looking guitar I own & sounds thin & lifeless. Same pickups, 510 trem but different woods. If it didn't look so damn good, I'd have gotten rid of it already.

Love my HSH natural satin...i have the 510 as I just don't like to deal with a Floyd anymore and it sounds great.

I noticed the 510 on my satin definitely has a smaller block than my other suhrs, but it still has great tone sustain.

Really really great guitars and it's becoming my number one gigging guitar because it's so versatile. My only problem is I'm so used to 22 frets I sometimes still get thrown off when switching guitars...

LP Freak":21dahoew said:

Message Brettk7 on TGP from Eddies Guitars or email greg@jrrshop.com. Both of those will get you a few hundred off listed price.

Metlupass2":34n9lnhd said:
LP Freak":34n9lnhd said:

Message Brettk7 on TGP from Eddies Guitars or email greg@jrrshop.com. Both of those will get you a few hundred off listed price.

You might also check out NStuffMusic....I got them to come down to $1759 shipped for mine.

One of the best sounding guitars i ever owned. Three things bugged me. Felt like somehow the the ofr did not seem correct for the 14" radius. The nut seemed to low.. I could not get use to the feel of the neck vs my maple neck guitars. And finally the deal breaker for me on the modern is the cutaway! Its a total knuckle buster. I don't care what anyone says its just something you end up thinking about and you shouldn't when you spend that much.

Back