Thought I was buying a Trans-Black Les Paul...

Webb

...turns out it wasn't black at all. :confused:

So a funny thing happened...

I've been looking for a Trans-black Les Paul Standard for awhile now when I happened to come across what appeared to a Trans-black Les Paul Standard on the Guitar Center used section.

There was only one low-res picture of said guitar and not much of a description, but it seemed to be a match to what I've been looking for. So I quickly added it to my cart and proceeded to checkout.

Well the guitar came yesterday. I excitedly rip open the box and pop the case only to see a PURPLE Les Paul staring back at me. Not what I was expecting.

I actually like the guitar a lot even though I had my heart set on the black finish. I think it looks pretty cool. It's in excellent condition and plays great. In doing some research, it looks like these were maybe a special run of the Standard Plus called "Regal Purple Quilt" from 2011.

I plan to give it a couple weeks to see if I can live with the purple before deciding to return or sell it.

Here are a couple pics I snapped last night with my iPhone. What would you do?

I would keep that fucker and start playing Prince covers. Seriously, that's a good looking guitar, if the price was acceptable then I'd keep it.

Send it back unless you love it. It's hard to move gear these days and purple is going to be even harder to move.

Jer":2fy60mn6 said:
Send it back unless you love it. It's hard to move gear these days and purple is going to be even harder to move.

This is a great point and I agree 100%.

What I will also say is that it is a very nice looking guitar. :thumbsup:

That guitar is gorgrous and I'd keep it if it played well. That being said, I have 3 purple guitars (2 Wolfgangs and an Axis) and dig purple, so I may be biased!!

Looks good. Probably one of those colours that will look black in certain light and purple in others.

Man, purple guitars are flat out ugly. Just an opinion. Same with green. :thumbsdown:

But hey, if you dig it, keep it. Doesn't matter what I say. ;)

Badronald":yk61gppu said:
Man, purple guitars are flat out ugly. Just an opinion. Same with green. :thumbsdown:

Haha, nice. Luckily I don't think purple guitars are flat out ugly (I also have a purple Wolfgang). I was just surprised since I was in the market for a black LP and thought that's what I was buying. Keeping this and buying another Les Paul is not an option now as I also have an R9 among about 25 other guitars at the moment. I just need to play it more. If I bond with it, I will definitely keep it and maybe buy another LP in trans-black down the line.

Thanks to everyone else for the compliments. :rock:

If it plays well I would keep it, but I like Purple guitars. I like green and blue guitars too. Strangely not a fan of natural finish Electric guitars. To me natural finishes generally only look right on an acoustic.

Nice looking guitar. I too dig purple, although i don't own one....i wouldn't kick it out of bed (so to speak).

Crazy, though, that you bought that axe, and didn't' talk with the store manager first to confirm the color, etc... crazy son. :LOL: :LOL:

Hope you gel with it! :thumbsup:

MrDowntown":1or1oxfs said:
Nice looking guitar. I too dig purple, although i don't own one....i wouldn't kick it out of bed (so to speak).

Crazy, though, that you bought that axe, and didn't' talk with the store manager first to confirm the color, etc... crazy son. :LOL: :LOL:

Hope you gel with it! :thumbsup:

My wife said the same thing about calling the store first before buying. :D

I didn't even know what year the guitar was. The description simply said: "Used Gibson Les Paul Standard Quilt Top" and there was one shitty picture. However, in my defense, it was late on a Sunday night when I was scrolling the used section so I just decided to buy now and ask questions later. Other times I've waited to talk to someone from the store about a used item and missed out. Besides, GC has a pretty good return policy.

Webb":6czc0tez said:
Badronald":6czc0tez said:

Haha, nice. Luckily I don't think purple guitars are flat out ugly (I also have a purple Wolfgang). I was just surprised since I was in the market for a black LP and thought that's what I was buying. Keeping this and buying another Les Paul is not an option now as I also have an R9 among about 25 other guitars at the moment. I just need to play it more. If I bond with it, I will definitely keep it and maybe buy another LP in trans-black down the line.

Thanks to everyone else for the compliments. :rock:

Understood.

I was going to bash you for not calling and confirming but I knew someone else would step in sooner or later and state the obvious. :thumbsup:

Back