Solid state power amp for wet/dry rig

Mr. Willy

I'm contemplating buying a solid state power amp to use with my SLO for a wet/dry rig. I have no idea how much power I need or which brands are better than others (build quality, reliability, etc.). What should I look for and how much should I expect to spend?

Mr. Willy":26j2lr00 said:
I'm contemplating buying a solid state power amp to use with my SLO for a wet/dry rig. I have no idea how much power I need or which brands are better than others (build quality, reliability, etc.). What should I look for and how much should I expect to spend?
Matrix GT800FX is perfect for what you need and they are $599 brand new. They have PLENTY of power to compete with cranked 100 watters, sound great, take up only one rack space and weigh next to nothing. I use one in my W/D/W rig. It's the last box in my rack:

amps_1.jpg

amps_2.jpg

amps_3.jpg

Steve

How important is weight to you?
I have a rocktron velocity (120), and I use it as the wet for both a w/d, and a w/d/w and it is perfect. Relatively low cost, plenty loud enough, and has a good, not completely transparent sound. A slight mid emphasis to imitate tubes, but not ruining the tube flavor from my Mesa's power amp. The down side: it weighs quite a bit for being solid state.

I use an HH V800. It is good enough for VH, Steve Stevens and tons of other top guitarists, it's good enough for me.

I hadn't even considered weight. I'd only thought about cost and power. Question, how many solid state watts is enough to compete with 100 watts tube power? Band volume on the SLO tends to be around 4 on the MV. I'm assuming something like the Rocktron mentioned is 120 watts and the HH is 800. Is 120 watts enough power to hang with a SLO? Also, how much power amp would $350ish get me?

I should mention that I just wanna try this type of rig and see if I like it enough to gig with it and haul it around. I generally play pretty dry, not many effects. But I dig a wet sound as long as it's not over the top. That Matrix is very cool. I know they're pretty awesome. I just don't wanna throw that much cash down on something I'm not sure I'd use much. Something like the Crown could be integrated into a PA rig if I didn't wanna lug a wet/dry set up around. Hmmm....I think I might be answering my own question.

~$350 will get you a brand new 1500W SS power amp. Crown XLS1502, Carvin HD1500 etc.

For solid states more watts are ideal, but 800-1000W would be more than enough.

godgrinder":1qv33awy said:
~$350 will get you a brand new 1500W SS power amp. Crown XLS1502, Carvin HD1500 etc.

For solid states more watts are ideal, but 800-1000W would be more than enough.

Awesome. Thanks man. I'm gonna fish around and see what I can find.

It's not about how many watts the SS amp needs to keep up with the tubes. You don't want the wet to overpower the dry sound. The 120 will keep up with my roadster even when I split it down to 60 watts per side (or less depending on the impedance of the cab).

Just put this rig together and the Carvin 200 is ample watts. Running 50% right now and it is plenty,like JMMP mentioned, you don`t wanna overpower your main amp, it will bury your sound. And my line out is only at 3 or 4 on the level and the G System`s input gain is at unity gain. Also, the Carvin is crazy light, 5-7 pounds!!!!!! I could not beleive how light it was compared to my other SS amps, although there 2500 watt amps, but still, the Carvin is perfect for W/D/W rigs.

Damn i love the tone of W/D/W.

Chris

I think a lot are missing the point... I want my would state amp to sound good as well as amplify. I've tried a lot of solid state power amps and all of them, except for the HH V800 have never has the balls to keep up. They tend to sound thin compared to the original "dry" sound. Keep in mind my "wet" cabinets also are setup to pass "dry" sound as well. I also use a Mess Boogie Strategy 400 to color my wet cabs and add extra umph to my sound.

Note that I haven't tried any Matrix power amps. I was close to buying one, but wasn't convinced it would be better than my HH's and resale on them is terrible. lol

I have an old Valvestate 8100 Half Stack. If you play metal, it rocks the house. Its the same rig Chuck Schuldiner from Death used before he passed away.

mismas1":2tb21ntg said:
I have an old Valvestate 8100 Half Stack. If you play metal, it rocks the house. Its the same rig Chuck Schuldiner from Death used before he passed away.

I don't think you understand the topic.

psychodave":3tmn5hag said:
I think a lot are missing the point... I want my would state amp to sound good as well as amplify. I've tried a lot of solid state power amps and all of them, except for the HH V800 have never has the balls to keep up. They tend to sound thin compared to the original "dry" sound. Keep in mind my "wet" cabinets also are setup to pass "dry" sound as well. I also use a Mess Boogie Strategy 400 to color my wet cabs and add extra umph to my sound.

Note that I haven't tried any Matrix power amps. I was close to buying one, but wasn't convinced it would be better than my HH's and resale on them is terrible. lol

How often do you lug this set up around? How portable is it? *Edit* I just looked for one of these on eBay and found one for sale. My back hurt just looking at it! Also $2000!! I don't care how good it sounds, that's way, way more than I wanna spend.

psychodave":2lpdcia0 said:

I was running a bit of dry in my wet cabs and didn't like the effect, no phasing issues but the sound wasn't as punchy and sounded well, SS. Maybe if used on of those HH it would be different. I know Eddie did that too with his setup. Also maybe could of tried an EQ but i mostly think if one wants some dry in the wets, you need a better power amp with some power behind it.

But when using a dash of chorus or the micro shift mixed in, ha ha, stand back folks, you'll get your balls rattled. Lol

But just for effects, any will do.

Chris

7 Stringer":2as5imdq said:
psychodave":2as5imdq said:

I was running a bit of dry in my wet cabs and didn't like the effect, no phasing issues but the sound wasn't as punchy and sounded well, SS. Maybe if used on of those HH it would be different. I know Eddie did that too with his setup. Also maybe could of tried an EQ but i mostly think if one wants some dry in the wets, you need a better power amp with some power behind it.

But when using a dash of chorus or the micro shift mixed in, ha ha, stand back folks, you'll get your balls rattled. Lol

Chris

I brought out my rack to Rockinchippys house last week and everyone loved how good it sounded. So much so, that I had to explain what I was doing:

I run a Shur ISO box with my main amp going to a dedicated cabinet. Next I take the line level signal from the ISO box and split it into two signals (I simply wired up a single jack into two leads). One jack goes into my effects unit (I used a Korg DL8000R and TC 2290), the other Jack goes into a mixer (I use an RJM mini mixer). Then the signal from the effects goes into the mixer. The mixer will now have dry signal from the ISO box and a wet signal from the effects. Now I take TWO jacks (one for each side of your power amp...it will give you stereo) into a clean power amp (I use an HH V800). Then go out to two different speaker cabinets. You can use 1x12's or 4x12, etc. the mini mixer will now mix BOTH wet and dry signal to your power amp. This will make everything sound huge since you will now have 3 sources of your original tone (one going through the ISO box and two from the power amp). The mini mixer will also allow you to kill the dry signal for just a wet sound...but it won't be massive sounding. Of course you can also add an EQ to the rig for even more tonal opportunities.

psychodave":3j3ou1sl said:
7 Stringer":3j3ou1sl said:
psychodave":3j3ou1sl said:

Chris

I brought out my rack to Rockinchippys house last week and everyone loved how good it sounded. So much so, that I had to explain what I was doing:

I run a Shur ISO box with my main amp going to a dedicated cabinet. Next I take the line level signal from the ISO box and split it into two signals (I simply wired up a single jack into two leads). One jack goes into my effects unit (I used a Korg DL8000R and TC 2290), the other Jack goes into a mixer (I use an RJM mini mixer). Then the signal from the effects goes into the mixer. The mixer will now have dry signal from the ISO box and a wet signal from the effects. Now I take TWO jacks (one for each side of your power amp...it will give you stereo) into a clean power amp (I use an HH V800). Then go out to two different speaker cabinets. You can use 1x12's or 4x12, etc. the mini mixer will now mix BOTH wet and dry signal to your power amp. This will make everything sound huge since you will now have 3 sources of your original tone (one going through the ISO box and two from the power amp). The mini mixer will also allow you to kill the dry signal for just a wet sound...but it won't be massive sounding. Of course you can also add an EQ to the rig for even more tonal opportunities.
That sounds monstrous. Hell I'm just enjoying a simple wet/dry with the 2C+ and the Strategy you sold me. :rock:

Back