John Norum. Underated as f#%k!!!!!

Red_Label":1mfsma31 said:
gtrplr71":1mfsma31 said:
I still find myself running threw his old Europe licks as I am warming up. never would he would have thought he would end up with such a legendary status as he has now. what a monster. I really think he is as good if not better than Warren DeMartini.

DeMartini doesn't have near the musical depth that Norum has IMO. Seems more one dimensional to me.
DeMartini is a great player, but he is nowhere near John Norum's level as a player.

Norum has such great vibrato !!
Saw him in 2002 with Dokken .
I love the song sunless days !!!
There is a cool video of Paul Gilbert watching John do a solo .

Completely agree with the OP, John is a monster player. I have a few of his solo albums and have seen him twice with Europe and his feel and tone were outstanding. He is in my top ten guitarists for sure!

Red_Label":jp4cgpuy said:
gtrplr71":jp4cgpuy said:
I still find myself running threw his old Europe licks as I am warming up. never would he would have thought he would end up with such a legendary status as he has now. what a monster. I really think he is as good if not better than Warren DeMartini.

DeMartini doesn't have near the musical depth that Norum has IMO. Seems more one dimensional to me.

Agreed 100%. Demartini is amazing and I love his style but outside of the RATT context, it doesn't hold up as well. Also, phrasing wise and tools in the toolshed wise, Norum just has way more. It isn't a pissing contest though, both guys are awesome, just Norum has more to offer overall. His singing as mentioned is also fantastic. Totally has that Sykes swagger going on. Even his blues chops now are tasty. Great great player. He has the "mojo" for lack of a better word. Some guys just have that. It isn't technique alone, it is feeling. I never get tired of Shenker either, he blazes out there and sets the stage on fire.

Norum destroys!!!! Been a fan well since The Final Countdown and pretty much the only reason I liked Europe although I do dig their later stuff with Norum. This guitar solo kills!!

Kapo_Polenton":378gxo4u said:
Red_Label":378gxo4u said:
gtrplr71":378gxo4u said:

Agreed 100%. Demartini is amazing and I love his style but outside of the RATT context, it doesn't hold up as well. Also, phrasing wise and tools in the toolshed wise, Norum just has way more. It isn't a pissing contest though, both guys are awesome, just Norum has more to offer overall. His singing as mentioned is also fantastic. Totally has that Sykes swagger going on. Even his blues chops now are tasty. Great great player. He has the "mojo" for lack of a better word. Some guys just have that. It isn't technique alone, it is feeling. I never get tired of Shenker either, he blazes out there and sets the stage on fire.
Warren holds up fine outside Ratt, listen to the Jeffology Tribute CD...Warren's track/s on that are killer (single coil strat tones).

paulyc":2elg1fo8 said:
Kapo_Polenton":2elg1fo8 said:
Red_Label":2elg1fo8 said:
gtrplr71":2elg1fo8 said:

Warren holds up fine outside Ratt, listen to the Jeffology Tribute CD...Warren's track/s on that are killer (single coil strat tones).

He does and I have that disc but nothing like Norum!!!! Norum is a BEAST!!!!

Love me some Norum, have to file him in hasn't done anything worth a fuck in 25 yrs department though.

snowdog":33jw6ukq said:
Love me some Norum, have to file him in hasn't done anything worth a fuck in 25 yrs department though.
I guess you have not bothered to listen to any of Norum's newer stuff then.

John 14:6":30qx6lju said:
snowdog":30qx6lju said:
I guess you have not bothered to listen to any of Norum's newer stuff then.

Yeah I have that, missed the mark imo.

geetarmikey":3rm0vaig said:
The first bit of shred in the original comment sounded a bit sped up to me. Bit high pitched like he played it really well, but then they cheekily sped up the tape?

Sure did. Not saying he isn't a good player but that is lame as hell.

He gets alot of play time in my car. Doesn't hurt that I hear almost a Gary Moore clone in his playing. He was one of the greats, (and my main influence).

psychodave":xnsoqw0l said:
yngzaklynch":xnsoqw0l said:

He's using a Cameron modded Marshall on this album.

Not sure where you read/heard that, but the only modded Marshall I know of that he's used was Friedman modded. His core tone on the majority of albums he's played on have been a JCM800 2205, unmolested, given to him by Michael Schenker. Live, he uses 2210's, and Jubilees, both 100 watters.

Back