John Norum. Underated as f#%k!!!!!

I've got all of his solo albums... so he's not underrated in my house. Have loved his stuff since I bought my "Total Control" cassette in the late 80s (and of course on the Europe album (s) that came before that.

The first bit of shred in the original comment sounded a bit sped up to me. Bit high pitched like he played it really well, but then they cheekily sped up the tape?

Norum is one of the best around IMO!!! He is more of a rock blues style player these days and he still is amazing!!

metalmaniac93":29bkqoib said:
Norum is one of the best around IMO!!! He is more of a rock blues style player these days and he still is amazing!!
Some days I am convinced that John Norum is the best player around. I think today is one of those days. His playing, tone, vibrato, note choices and everything about his playing are mind blowing. I just listened to Shimmering Heights again and I am completely amazed by his playing. :thumbsup:

Great Gary Moore tribute here.

And Norum doing some Michael Schenker

Yup nothing new here... Your thread title sounds almost like you are surprised. The guy is a slick player, in my top five. His vibrato is orgasmic. Loved him most with single coil strats but he brings the goods no matter what he plays. No secret he loves Shenker and you hear it in his vibrato. Like Yngwie and Shenker had an awesome baby.

I still find myself running threw his old Europe licks as I am warming up. never would he would have thought he would end up with such a legendary status as he has now. what a monster. I really think he is as good if not better than Warren DeMartini.

metalmaniac93":2h6tetf6 said:
Good point, his style has slowly morphed. You can hear that in his playing with Europe these days. IMO I just think it's age and the guitar olympics...he's been there done that. One of my favorite all time players. Still love his and Billy White's playing on the Don Dokken solo release...only wish the songs had been better.

I only know the stuff John did in Europe but after listening to the Another Destination and Worlds Away albums on Y/T man I`m really impressed . Sounds like he influenced by Michael Schenker which is a big plus in my book

Norum is singing the pre-chorus parts here and of course he hits the solo out of the park.

John's wife Michelle Meldrum-Norum was a heck of a guitar player. It is so sad how she passed away. She was only 39.

gtrplr71":2vz0enu3 said:
I still find myself running threw his old Europe licks as I am warming up. never would he would have thought he would end up with such a legendary status as he has now. what a monster. I really think he is as good if not better than Warren DeMartini.

DeMartini doesn't have near the musical depth that Norum has IMO. Seems more one dimensional to me.

Back