Boss Katana

Sounds like some are doing the thing where someone wakes up the morning after and is like hmmmm.... she was better looking last night. :LOL: :LOL:

I think every piece of gear I ever purchased sounded better on day one secondary to emotions and typical reward system responses.

Ive got the amp matched to my Diezel Dmoll. Took a week but it sounds KILLER

It takes the app, the EQs and MUCH tweaking to get sounds you are already familiar with. The stock boss sound is extremely BRIGHT a hot in the 1-3Khz region.

I expected to hate it and send it back immediately. Ill be keeping it. Best backup head I ever had. I don't drag the Diezel Einstein around pointlessly any more.

After owning it I would also expect anyone who want plug and play, is less knowledgeable about building sounds or wants to avoid the app to HATE this amp in its stock form.

As all gear is, it is NOT for everyone.

Metlupass2":3lh956qq said:
I have not spent a whole bunch of time with mine but I'm not feeling it like Mr Maleman.

I bought the 100 112 then returned it and got a head after I picked up a 4x12.

For my taste it's a must to have the EQ on to get the bottom end.
Agreed! I liked the combo in the store, got the head and it sounded very sorry trashy/raspy almost.like my speakers (Mesa recto cab) were not working with it. Did the eq mild frown with the effects and it smoothed out a good bit.

Beandust":2vyzd6dt said:
Metlupass2":2vyzd6dt said:
I have not spent a whole bunch of time with mine but I'm not feeling it like Mr Maleman.

Agreed! I liked the combo in the store, got the head and it sounded very sorry trashy/raspy almost.like my speakers (Mesa recto cab) were not working with it. Did the eq mild frown with the effects and it smoothed out a good bit.

I have heard that most people with v30 cabs (any variation) aren't too hip on the sound of this amp. It sounds OK at best through my Marshall with the old vented T75's. It sounds glorious through my Friedman with GB/H75 mix.

This amp seems to be a picky son of bitch

I'm still loving mine, but not having the same EQ experience as others are stating and wondering what kind of music guys are playing here. I'm straight 80's hard rock (Dokken type) sounding player tuned only a half step down, and I've got the mids, treble and presence up, and the bass down a bit. Using the Katana's OD, slight preference for the Lead channel but Brown is good too. Mine is the head not a combo.

After having it for awhile, it is definitely now my favorite practice/noodling amp, and I would gig it as a back-up to my Marshalls and Friedman. I think the Axe-FX is heading out the door (but not my tube amps), I'm not a tweaker and love the Katana's simplicity. I actually even like the feel/response of the Katana a little better than the Axe-FX as well even though the Axe-FX to me sounds closer to the "real thing" in terms of basic modeled tone.

atrox":2unzll6t said:
Beandust":2unzll6t said:
Metlupass2":2unzll6t said:

I have heard that most people with v30 cabs (any variation) aren't too hip on the sound of this amp. It sounds OK at best through my Marshall with the old vented T75's. It sounds glorious through my Friedman with GB/H75 mix.

This amp seems to be a picky son of bitch

I first tried my Gflex 212 and it sounded like ass. Tubby on the lows, and kazoo-like on the highs. I also have a 212 cab with V12s, and it sounds great with that cab. It actually is making me want to move my Axe-FX rig to the other side of the room to try that cab with it.... maybe it would sound much better also, lol.

moltenmetalburn":3blrhni2 said:
I think every piece of gear I ever purchased sounded better on day one secondary to emotions and typical reward system responses.

Ive got the amp matched to my Diezel Dmoll. Took a week but it sounds KILLER

It takes the app, the EQs and MUCH tweaking to get sounds you are already familiar with. The stock boss sound is extremely BRIGHT a hot in the 1-3Khz region.

I expected to hate it and send it back immediately. Ill be keeping it. Best backup head I ever had. I don't drag the Diezel Einstein around pointlessly any more.

After owning it I would also expect anyone who want plug and play, is less knowledgeable about building sounds or wants to avoid the app to HATE this amp in its stock form.

As all gear is, it is NOT for everyone.

I tend to cut 3000hz-3500hz for all modelers. I dont know why, but they all have that fizzy kazoo-thing going on in that region. I think I cut 3.2khz on the Katana like -3db or something. It still has good highs, but that grating part of the treble is reduced.

Rock Bodom":vt3ax0an said:
I'm still loving mine, but not having the same EQ experience as others are stating and wondering what kind of music guys are playing here. I'm straight 80's hard rock (Dokken type) sounding player tuned only a half step down, and I've got the mids, treble and presence up, and the bass down a bit. Using the Katana's OD, slight preference for the Lead channel but Brown is good too. Mine is the head not a combo.

After having it for awhile, it is definitely now my favorite practice/noodling amp, and I would gig it as a back-up to my Marshalls and Friedman. I think the Axe-FX is heading out the door (but not my tube amps), I'm not a tweaker and love the Katana's simplicity. I actually even like the feel/response of the Katana a little better than the Axe-FX as well even though the Axe-FX to me sounds closer to the "real thing" in terms of basic modeled tone.

Oh, i'm still happy with it, though i only have been using it connected to my computer for recording as of late. I have my Marshall cab hooked up for practicing at home too. Its a great little machine. I'd still use it as a backup for my Friedman over my DSL for any tours most likely, since i have it dialed in to sound like my BE as close as it possibly can.

I'm in a few bands (see signature). One is an instrumental prog thing. i tend to use a more 80's tone for that. My other is mostly a recording project (though we have played a few shows with a different drummer and bass player). Proggy metal thing. High gain, a touch more modern sounding setup (mainly shifted mids). The Katana can deal with both projects.

Gigged my katana head this weekend..Loved it. Used it with a 1x12 creamback 65 .
Only thing I had to tweak was the volume boost for lead channel .
We play high gain 80's stuff . I've owned most of the boutique stuff over the years and love this amp..No one cared if it was a $4000 amp or a $349 amp..They all said it still sounded like me..lol

I know this is probably a TGP question, but has anyone compared it to a Roland Blues Cube Artist?

chobley":r3q66j93 said:
Gigged my katana head this weekend..Loved it. Used it with a 1x12 creamback 65 .
Only thing I had to tweak was the volume boost for lead channel .
We play high gain 80's stuff . I've owned most of the boutique stuff over the years and love this amp..No one cared if it was a $4000 amp or a $349 amp..They all said it still sounded like me..lol
I am using a 1x12 loaded with K100 and it sounds great!

Ive been using mine with dark speakers on purpose, delta 12a

. It sounded ice picky through my jensen Electric lightning wihout eq. My v30 cab was dark enough but the mids were now double stacked in that 3k region.

I wont even use the lead or brown channel without the parametric placed after the preamp and the low pass filter set to 6.3k or 8k depending on tone Im going for. I also push the "low gain" up 1 point and push the high gain down 3-4 points. With the knobs on my amp all set to "50" and the Dmoll set to noon across the board the amps "match" in terms of smoothness/darkness. This is A LOT of eq applied.

It is a sharp blade (katana) out of the box lol.

The best part about this amp is i will play it for 3 hours sitting next to my tube amps and never think of them or choose to swap over.

"Slimy yet satisfying."

overthemountain":1rjagp2d said:
Kapo_Polenton":1rjagp2d said:
I had a Marshall valvestate back in the day which I thought sounded pretty damn good... I don't knock everything solid state. Besides, lots of tube amps also flub out if you crank the master.

Kapo, I had one of those old Valvestates back in the day too. It honestly kicked some serious ass for what it was.

Definitely.. I sold it thinking my tube amps were so much better but to be honest, some of the best recorded hard driven tones I had were with that amp and a bad monkey.

MrDowntown":1fnumbpn said:
mrcak":1fnumbpn said:

I LOVE this guys clips. So good to my ears. He made that fucker sound really, really...squeaky-waxy-texture...good!

This guy makes everything he plays sound the same... and very good. His mic'ing technique has a ton to do with it as does the room he often plays in. Nice big high ceilings and room mic mized with a beyer m-160. Crushing tones. I will say that the MArshall lead 12 solid state does the Marshall thing better than the katana and both of those do not sound as good as a real tube amp but still pretty awesome and very usable.

Bump. This thread dropped to page 2 so I was getting worried like gum.... the Katana love is losing its flavor.

Jeff Hilligan":1hxrdps1 said:
MrDowntown":1hxrdps1 said:
I finally got to play through one today.

nummy nummy :rock:

Yep. Walked in at 1:00 p.m., grabbed an Indonesia built Wolfe and plugged up to a 100w combo. Walked out 2 hrs later...faces and panties were lying all over the floor.

overthemountain":13s1r86y said:
Kapo_Polenton":13s1r86y said:
I had a Marshall valvestate back in the day which I thought sounded pretty damn good... I don't knock everything solid state. Besides, lots of tube amps also flub out if you crank the master.

Kapo, I had one of those old Valvestates back in the day too. It honestly kicked some serious ass for what it was.

I gigged one for years when I was too lazy to take my VHT out.

Back