Boss Katana

Yup. The 'grind' and pick attack is at real as it gets.
The response.... FEEL... on this amp is the real deal.
For $350?? Fuck me sideways and call me Larry. :LOL: :LOL:
Yeah. I owned a few big buck amps thru the years. :yes:

Bought the 100 watt 1x12 a while back, and at home. I was a little disappointed, seemed to sound good, but wasn't as good as I'd hoped. We played a small show with limited space so I took it with me along with my jubilee 1x12. I'd gotten the gafc footswitch the day before and I set a couple channels up and plugged it into my pedal board. I never bothered with the jubilee, that little amp kicked all kinds of ass!!. It's funny that it's like a tube amp, it prefers a little volume to sound it's best. Takes pedals in front and in the loop perfectly. Now that I've had it a while I've gotten some great sounds at home too, I'm blown away by this little fucker. Now I'm reading about these sneaky amps (?) For the first time.... I haven't plugged it into a computer yet, I'm going to have to look Into this.

I'll be testing my Katana Head out at this Saturday night's Gig, hooked up to my M13 for some midi control and extra convenient effects. Looking forward to it. I also have the 112 100 watt combo and love them both. Still waiting on the dam GA-FC foot pedal, but with the Head I found a way to control the amp via midi with the Line 6 M13, which by the way works flawlessly in the latched mode. These amps are amazing for what they are!

MrDowntown":2ugze5ck said:
Michael R/T made this with a 112, 100w combo in 1/2w power. Pretty good display of the dynamics, IMO.

Thank you for the call-out.
I had the mid control dial at around 5 o'clock in this video and I found after the amp sounded a lot more organic with the mids at around 1 o'clock. It's just the nature of this amp I guess.
I want to make another sound clip with the new setting but the amp is at rehearsal right now.
I practice with my band at a church on a big stage with a PA and a couple nights ago I got a chance to play this amp with the full band. I used the line out into the PA and it sounded fantastic.
The tone was so natural warm and crunchy in the 1/2w power setting, it cut through the mix perfectly.
Very impressive little combo. :thumbsup:

The speaker on the 100w is REALLY good. It needs some breaking in, but it is great.

I really need to load up the Bright Twin from the Sneaky hack.

One of my favs is using the Guv'nor onboard pedal on the clean channel. You have to assign it there with the tone studio. Rocks hard.

I bought the head about two weeks ago, and the lead and brown channels are incredible. I have been very uninspired by the clean to lightly overdriven sounds the amp has to offer with the stock software, not yet bothered to update or explore all the options with software manipulations. I was hoping this would be plug and play, and not let me fall down a rabbit hole of tweaking and tone chasing through software like more expensive modelers did for me. It's a great practice amp at the moment, haven't had a chance to use it with the band yet because of all the holiday madness

I downloaded Michael r/t patches. Can’t remember which one I use. But once I loaded to the head I quit farting around with the sneaky amps, and computer settings and such....I too will wonder down yonder rabbit hole looking for tone.

I keep it plugged to my EVH 212 until I need to be not so loud. Then I use the baby speaker. Cool amp.

Still using my 100 combo. Ran it at a few gigs now and it sounds fabulous loud. It doesn’t fart out at all. The room was a bit larger in the place we played last night so I ran it via the out to FOH. I wasn’t expecting much but it sounded fabulous. I did tweak a few settings with the Boss editor on the computer prior to doing this.

Really impressive amp for the $$$.

Jeff Hilligan":2sety8mz said:
Mailman1971":2sety8mz said:
Gsxrbusa":2sety8mz said:
Jeff Hilligan":2sety8mz said:
Guys you know my amp history both being in the biz and owning.
Katana 100 head is all I own now! No interest in buying anything!! It inspires me to play! It's the real deal seriously I'd eat Danno's ass out if you didn't think this amp flat out kills! :confused:

On this statement alone I ordered one. :scared: :LOL: :LOL:

Jeff's tone sounded great on the vid. Our styles are really far apart but I'm too intrigued not to find out for myself.

No lose situation for me. Danno's ass or a cool amp. :D
I ordered one and gonna tell Jeff it sucks.
Just on principle. :yes:

You are a participant your not allowed to vote!

Add another to the list, pulling the trigger on one! Hope it plays nice with pedals especially my Flint!

I'm running the Katana head into a MojoTone slant front 1X12 loaded with a 90watt Celestion Alnico Cream speaker.

It sounds REALLY good. The clean tone with the Alnico Cream is amazing. I can't wait to see what Boss invents next!

FYI It sounds better to me with the master volume set high (maybe 75%), and then set the amp volume, gain and presence wherever you like them.

The endorsements on this thread are really inspiring!
How well does the Katana do vintage and hot rodded Marshall tones ?
I have been interested in a light weight amp option!
Also, which cab do you guys prefer with the Karana Head ?
Cheers guys! Rock on!

Great thread!

I am looking to upgrade my old combo and the Katana is one of the three products I'm leaning towards. I play mainly metal plus with headphones at home and about once per week in a jamming room with others. So a convincing headphone sound is a must have for me. The other products I favour would be the Peavey 6505MH and the Line6 Helix LT. Unfortunately there a many who say that the Peavey is not very good at handling headphones and the Helix is not the cheapest product although probably the best option for my needs. Concerning the Katana I heard only good things but too less about his headphone performance.

Would you recommend it for mainly headphone usage and once per week in a jamming room without? I'm using a quite good pair of cans (Beyerdynamic T1).

Back