Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Sat, Nov 17, 2018 10:56am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Boss Katana
PostPosted: Mon, Feb 27, 2017 10:19am 
Rock God

Are you human?: 951
atrox wrote:
moltenmetalburn wrote:
Put the parametric filter in the FX section to approximate amps.

For example: diezel dmoll- use the LEAD setting, set high pass to 40, low pass to 6.3k and set the low mid to a Q or 4 and volume to -4 or -5 for midcut. Nails 95 percent of the vibe of my Dmoll when A/B.

Wih my axe fx as a data resource I just look at the models to see where the highs and lows are filtered and I start there which is a major part of indivdual amp voicings.

Unfortunately you cannot use the EQ and delay simultaneously. ( a huge oversight). With a few small changes the V2 of the katana could be PERFECT.

The clunky fx setup where you cant just use what you want, no tuner and limited MIDI are my only conplaints.

Going to try it as the wet side of a W/D With the Dmoll feeding its preamp into the katana loop return.
Using it as FX and poweramp.

Sure you can. Slap the ParaEQ in the Mod section and adjust the chain so the mods are in the loop. Then you have the delay free to use. :)

This is how i have my main gain channel set up

Very cool, thanks BUT i use the ts808 so id lose that. Failed to mention that earlier.

I WANT booster up front, delay AND eq in the loop all at once.

Great transactions with: Dexter Jackson, Pfapin05, Donbarzini, Ratter, Guitarslinger, Sixstring, Empire Prod, Motorpud, Iamthejoker,9841507,Ultron, Diagrammatiks, Juggernaut, studio289, Steve K., Dmtnt, Rhequiem, Craftm1, Red Witch, Reilly, Bucksears, ajr2454, Glip22, jabberwocker!, glassjaw7, Khoi, mizati20, ibanez4life SZ, Glide-on, Prime rib, Droptrd, Bwgintegra,Bognerluv,ben hur,TjSlice, Flizzo,Bronco, leib10, Vchizzle, Captain Stinko, Warhead78 plus like 150 more peeps...

Here long before it sucked.

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 27, 2017 10:46am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

moltenmetalburn wrote:
atrox wrote:
moltenmetalburn wrote:

For example: diezel dmoll- use the LEAD setting, set high pass to 40, low pass to 6.3k and set the low mid to a Q or 4 and volume to -4 or -5 for midcut. Nails 95 percent of the vibe of my Dmoll when A/B.

Wih my axe fx as a data resource I just look at the models to see where the highs and lows are filtered and I start there which is a major part of indivdual amp voicings.

Unfortunately you cannot use the EQ and delay simultaneously. ( a huge oversight). With a few small changes the V2 of the katana could be PERFECT.

The clunky fx setup where you cant just use what you want, no tuner and limited MIDI are my only conplaints.

Going to try it as the wet side of a W/D With the Dmoll feeding its preamp into the katana loop return.

Sure you can. Slap the ParaEQ in the Mod section and adjust the chain so the mods are in the loop. Then you have the delay free to use. :)

Very cool, thanks BUT i use the ts808 so id lose that. Failed to mention that earlier.

yeah. Honestly, if they'd just open up that reverb slot for FX, that would make things so much better.

My metal band, Contrarian

Friedman BE100
Helix Floor

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 27, 2017 10:51am 
Supah Stah

moltenmetalburn wrote:
atrox wrote:
moltenmetalburn wrote:

I think it does that through the software, just doesn't give you tweak ability on the head

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 27, 2017 10:53am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

crankyrayhanky wrote:
moltenmetalburn wrote:
atrox wrote:
moltenmetalburn wrote:

I think it does that through the software, just doesn't give you tweak ability on the head

Unfortunately, no. You can run a boost or a Mod/FX and Delay or a Mod/FX

Friedman BE100
Helix Floor

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 27, 2017 8:57pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

moltenmetalburn wrote:
atrox wrote:
moltenmetalburn wrote:

That is probably my biggest "complaint" as well.

When I use a boost and the Para EQ, that is pretty much my entire chain. There is no more space for any effects. That chain does sound great though for heavy rhythms.

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 27, 2017 9:00pm 
Rock God

sucks to be so damn close to only needing the head for a gig. I hope the popularity of this thing makes V2 perfect.

Hell I hope this encourages boss to keep going. Next we need the "Mesa" voiced "Tanto".

Great transactions with: Dexter Jackson, Pfapin05, Donbarzini, Ratter, Guitarslinger, Sixstring, Empire Prod, Motorpud, Iamthejoker,9841507,Ultron, Diagrammatiks, Juggernaut, studio289, Steve K., Dmtnt, Rhequiem, Craftm1, Red Witch, Reilly, Bucksears, ajr2454, Glip22, jabberwocker!, glassjaw7, Khoi, mizati20, ibanez4life SZ, Glide-on, Prime rib, Droptrd, Bwgintegra,Bognerluv,ben hur,TjSlice, Flizzo,Bronco, leib10, Vchizzle, Captain Stinko, Warhead78 plus like 150 more peeps...

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 28, 2017 9:24am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

The firmware update is like involved. Not quite what I'm used to..and for what.. better effects or less noisy as mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 28, 2017 11:25am 
Rock God

Beandust wrote:
The firmware update is like involved. Not quite what I'm used to..and for what.. better effects or less noisy as mentioned.

Yeah its a little weird but worth it. All updates will most likely be worth it.

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 28, 2017 12:45pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Sweet, glad to know, now I will try and get thru it..:)

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 28, 2017 2:02pm 
Immortal Rock God

There's 2 for sale in the classifieds. This thing is sooooo yesterday. :D

http://soundcloud.com/danieldowning

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 28, 2017 4:41pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I just profiled my Katana with my Kemper. Is that weird or what?

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 28, 2017 9:26pm 
Journeyman NOOB

danyeo wrote:
There's 2 for sale in the classifieds. This thing is sooooo yesterday. :D

Yep, you know it's bad when you're shipping a head like this. They're taking a huge loss on it selling used with shipping/fees.

Perhaps some Boss employees in here shilling a bit eh?

:lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 01, 2017 1:01pm 
Rock God

I had two speakers lying around so I figured Id gamble on a cheapo cabinet and make it a practice rig.

I went with the unloaded jet city 12sve.

For $228 shipped I figured go for it, it's the right size and matching cosmetics. The vertical arrangement makes for easier knob tweaking as well, I didn't want to be bending over for a horizontal setup.

It sounds great! If you're looking for a cab to mate with it this is a fine choice.

I am extremely surprised and satisfied that such a budget rig can sound so good and be so inspiring to play.

Last edited by moltenmetalburn on Wed, Mar 01, 2017 1:05pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 01, 2017 1:03pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

very cool looking

Friedman BE100
Helix Floor

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 01, 2017 1:07pm 
Rock God

atrox wrote:
very cool looking

Thanks! :rock:

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 01, 2017 2:53pm 
Golden Ears

moltenmetalburn wrote:

I had two speakers lying around so I figured Id gamble on a cheapo cabinet and make it a practice rig.

For $228 shipped I figured go for it, it's the right size and matching cosmetics. The vertical arrangement makes for easier knob tweaking as well, I didn't want to be bending over for a horizontal setup.

It sounds great! If you're looking for a cab to mate with it this is a fine choice.

I am extremely surprised and satisfied that such a budget rig can sound so good and be so inspiring to play.

Aint it the truth!

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 01, 2017 3:14pm 
Supah Stah

moltenmetalburn wrote:

Sweet! Looks great together. :rock:

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 01, 2017 3:45pm 
Rock God

Why is this bullshit amp going on 8 pages?? lol... I do think the head and JetCity cab combo looks stellar though! It does sound good too.... but 8 pages worth? This is getting into BOOOOOTIQUE territory. You guys better watch your mouths, you are encroaching on the big boys now where hype is concerned!

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 01, 2017 5:31pm 
Rock God

Kapo_Polenton wrote:
Why is this bullshit amp going on 8 pages?? lol... I do think the head and JetCity cab combo looks stellar though! It does sound good too.... but 8 pages worth? This is getting into BOOOOOTIQUE territory. You guys better watch your mouths, you are encroaching on the big boys now where hype is concerned!

Its the expectation for SS and the price point.

It is NOT a tube amp. FET into MOSFET AB with DSP for tube amp speaker interaction. Its a tiny bit thinner in the resonance, can be a bit sharper depending on settings, missing the smooth "sheen" of tubes. Some missing higher harmonics i think.

It is however so good kids in a few year wont know cheap SS used to SUCK. The feel is unmatched in this kind of amp.

If this was just useable as the 5" all in one bedroom practice rig I got it for I would be happy. The fact that i can easily record and gig with it make it the best value Ive ever had.

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 01, 2017 5:37pm 

Yeah my last Solid State amp was the DIME amp. And it completely FLUBBED OUT when cranked at high volumes. :no:

This amp is as punchy and tight as possible when blasting thru 4x12's. :thumbsup:

Really digging it. :rock:

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 01, 2017 5:42pm 
Rock God

Mailman1971 wrote:
Yeah my last Solid State amp was the DIME amp. And it completely FLUBBED OUT when cranked at high volumes. :no:

This amp is as punchy and tight as possible when blasting thru 4x12's. :thumbsup:

I hated that thing. It even sounded shitty at Dimes house lmao.

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 01, 2017 5:51pm 

moltenmetalburn wrote:
Mailman1971 wrote:

I hated that thing. It even sounded shitty at Dimes house lmao.

You would know Rick. I saw the pics of you guys hanging out there.
I bet Dime would of loved this Katana. :rock:

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 01, 2017 6:24pm 
Supah Stah

moltenmetalburn wrote:
Kapo_Polenton wrote:

Its the expectation for SS and the price point.

It is NOT a tube amp. FET into MOSFET AB with DSP for tube amp speaker interaction. Its a tiny bit thinner in the resonance, can be a bit sharper depending on settings, missing the smooth "sheen" of tubes. Some missing higher harmonics i think.

It is however so good kids in a few year wont know cheap SS used to SUCK. The feel is unmatched in this kind of amp.

If this was just useable as the 5" all in one bedroom practice rig I got it for I would be happy. The fact that i can easily record and gig with it make it the best value Ive ever had.

MR.moltenmetalburn I agree with you 100%

If anyone had told me, a year ago, that I would own a SS 100w amp and would like it I would have told them they are high as fuck and to stop talking. :gethim: Today I feel different. I had to find out for myself, glad I did. We can talk about this amp until we are blue in the face but until you plug into a good cab, crank it up to band volumes and feel/hear it for yourself you will never know. Talk shit all you want, I don't give a fuck. It may not be for everyone but this is the closest thing to a really good tube amp some people will ever get. The price point is what makes owing one so much sweeter.

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 01, 2017 7:08pm 

Gsxrbusa wrote:
We can talk about this amp until we are blue in the face but until you plug into a good cab, crank it up to band volumes and feel/hear it for yourself you will never know. Talk shit all you want, I don't give a fuck. It may not be for everyone but this is the closest thing to a really good tube amp some people will ever get. The price point is what makes owing one so much sweeter.

Tom you know know we talk allot of shit around here. :yes:
But man how you worded this CANNOT BE TRUER!! :rock:
I been up and down the food chain. Yeah just cause lot of amps went thru my hands does not discredit what I feel or know bout tone. Not playing an expert ..... but....
;) All I can do is compare this amp with the Fuckteenth billion I have played thru my rig at my place
IN A FULL BAND SITUATION NOT JUST WHISPER VOLUMES IN MY BEDROOM. :lol: :LOL:
All that being said....
Yeah..... the Katana has its place in my world for sure. Hope others can relate to what me and Tom boy gotta say. Your mile may vary. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 01, 2017 7:40pm 
Golden Ears

Spreading the disease!

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 02, 2017 10:25pm 
Supah Stah

Anyone tried playing the head through studio monitors? I've got Yamaha monitors and an Atomic CLR for my Kemper. I don't have any 4x12s anymore.

Will it sound like shit through an FRFR?

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 02, 2017 11:50pm 
Rock God

Metlupass2 wrote:
Anyone tried playing the head through studio monitors? I've got Yamaha monitors and an Atomic CLR for my Kemper. I don't have any 4x12s anymore.

Will it sound like shit through an FRFR?

Actually had the line out running to PA this evening while jamming. Sounded bettsr than I expected, useable.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 03, 2017 12:44am 
Supah Stah

As good as a 4x12?

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 03, 2017 2:29pm 
Rock God

Ahhh..... it seems like the good ol' days with a thread that goes on forever about an amp that's the flavor of the month. Only this time you'll pick them up by the boatloads for the price of a pedal. :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 03, 2017 2:41pm 
Journeyman NOOB

ejecta wrote:
Ahhh..... it seems like the good ol' days with a thread that goes on forever about an amp that's the flavor of the month. Only this time you'll pick them up by the boatloads for the price of a pedal. :lol: :LOL:

And everyone can actually afford to try one themselves :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 03, 2017 2:54pm 
Rock God

big_aug wrote:
ejecta wrote:

And everyone can actually afford to try one themselves :lol: :LOL:

:lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 03, 2017 3:34pm 
Supah Stah

Just so's you know, that cab is a 24SVe. What did you do with the stock speakers? Or did you purchase it unloaded? (Sorry--Jet City Artist here). And yes, those cabs are awesome and the steal of the century. If you buy it loaded the stock speakers are very greenback-sounding. The idea with the SVe was a more "vintage" sounding speaker.

:rock:

moltenmetalburn wrote:

http://www.facebook.com/audiokill.la
-----------------------
Good deals with: JB6464, tom_h, mechanyx, bubbastain, jid, splawner, studio289, jmgman69 (x2), santellavision1, oldmanmetal, Scuba200ft, bognerluv, the4thlast1, 232cap, hthomas, Fretburner, PaulyPanacea, drewiv, gbsmusic, retrojet, Docster, Spaceboy, crwnedblasphemy, tonmazz, rezamatix, londaxe, just42dave (x3), mystidream
Play it cuz you love it!!!

My Recommendations
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Splawn Amplification -- Awesome Modded Marshall Tones --http://www.splawnguitars.com/amps08.htm
Jet City Amplification -- Awesome Soldano Tones -- http://www.jetcityamplification.com/
WhiteBox Quality Guitar Cabinets -- Well-built USA Cabinets -- http://www.whiteboxeng.com/

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 03, 2017 4:23pm 
Rock God

racerevlon wrote:
Just so's you know, that cab is a 24SVe. What did you do with the stock speakers? Or did you purchase it unloaded? (Sorry--Jet City Artist here). And yes, those cabs are awesome and the steal of the century. If you buy it loaded the stock speakers are very greenback-sounding. The idea with the SVe was a more "vintage" sounding speaker.

:rock:

moltenmetalburn wrote:

Oh yeah, just goofed.

I bought it unloaded, put two delta 12a into it.

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 04, 2017 3:38am 
Rock God

Quick clip of the Crunch channel with my Les Paul (EMG ZW set) and Crate 1x12 loaded with a K100.

Gear Demos from a Guy Who Loves Gear!!!

Check out "Dunky's N' Demos at:

https://www.facebook.com/dunkysndemos
https://www.youtube.com/c/JeremyVarao

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 04, 2017 11:41am 
Rock God

You all have been sliced by the Blade of the Katana. :D ;) :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 04, 2017 12:28pm 
Rock God

Here's a rushed clip of the GWAR song I am doing. I actually tried to get close to GWRS sound which was pretty processed.

https://m.soundcloud.com/jerevil/maggotz-ruffmicks

Last edited by JerEvil on Sat, Mar 04, 2017 2:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 04, 2017 1:20pm 
Supah Stah

bad link Jer^

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 04, 2017 2:48pm 
Rock God

Ok try now.

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 05, 2017 2:20am 
Journeyman NOOB

MF said expected to ship 3/8 but I got a shipping notice today. Nice surprise.

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 05, 2017 10:25am 
Rock God

The head is in stock st sweetwater today.

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 05, 2017 5:45pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Trying to not like it.

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 05, 2017 6:06pm 
Apprentice NOOB

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 07, 2017 1:27am 
Hack

I know the head is getting a ton of love, but does anyone have experience with the Katana 50 1x12? Sold my Peavey Vypyr and looking to get another small practice amp while saving up for an Archon or something similar. Don't have a cab atm, so the head is out of the question. Just curious if the Katana 50 will be a big letdown since everyone is raving about the head.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 07, 2017 12:52pm 
Plank Cranker

ejecta wrote:
You all have been sliced by the Blade of the Katana. :D ;) :lol: :LOL:

Is Billy Blades involved in this amp?!? :lol: :LOL:

Good deals with glpg80, metalhead, motorpud, texmarkmusic, projectx102, Dark Aegis, DaveP, glip22, Captain Stinko, mctallica1, 232cap, hthomas, drumdude, gbsmusic, steve39stripes, PaulyPanacea, tehuk, apophis, KingGuitar, danyeo, tripwirecartel, kensmith, 232cap, AdamofAngels, psychodave

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 07, 2017 1:00pm 
Rock God

I had a Marshall valvestate back in the day which I thought sounded pretty damn good... I don't knock everything solid state. Besides, lots of tube amps also flub out if you crank the master.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 07, 2017 10:04pm 
Supah Stah

OK...I finally gave in.

Just bought a 100 watt head.

We shall see :gethim:

Concentrated
Competent
Competitive
Cohesive
Cheerful
Childlike (NOT CHILDISH)
Committed
Consistent
Confident

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 07, 2017 10:10pm 
Apprentice NOOB

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 07, 2017 10:12pm 
Supah Stah

Cherry Bomb vs Katana!

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 08, 2017 4:01pm 
Supah Stah

We'll, I'll be damned. This thing is very impressive.

It most certainly isn't going to replace my Cherry Bomb or Mark IIC+, but it sounds and feels REALLY good. And for the price point, I think it sounds amazing.

I haven't even put an MXR 10 band in the loop yet.....which is the secret sauce for my sound with every amp and I got it dialed in to a tone that sounds like "me" in just a few minutes.

Highly recommend this thing.

One last point.....I would be happy to gig with this thing in a heartbeat if I were still gigging. It is much better than several amps that I did gig with :thumbsup:

Wow.

Concentrated
Competent
Competitive
Cohesive
Cheerful
Childlike (NOT CHILDISH)
Committed
Consistent
Confident

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 08, 2017 4:37pm 

mctallica1 wrote:
We'll, I'll be damned. This thing is very impressive.

It most certainly isn't going to replace my Cherry Bomb or Mark IIC+, but it sounds and feels REALLY good. And for the price point, I think it sounds amazing.

I haven't even put an MXR 10 band in the loop yet.....which is the secret sauce for my sound with every amp and I got it dialed in to a tone that sounds like "me" in just a few minutes.

Highly recommend this thing.

One last point.....I would be happy to gig with this thing in a heartbeat if I were still gigging. It is much better than several amps that I did gig with :thumbsup:

Wow.

Now plug that eq in the loop. This amp will melt your face off. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next