High Gain + Creambacks: G12H-75 vs G12M-65

FourT6and2

KSR Gemini is in the house and I have a Bogner 4x12 I need to load for it. Already have one cab with G12M-25s for my Chupacabra. And I have a Mesa 2x12 with Mesa V30s for my Ares. I was gonna just go with V30s again for the Gemini, but thought maybe I'd try one of the Creamback varieties, but I'm torn between which one. This is for modern rock and metal high-gain stuff. Cab is rear-loaded.

I've had both, and I think you'd be happier with the 75s. The 75s have a bigger bottom and more sizzle in the highs. The 65s have smooth highs, tight bass, and a lot of upper-mid emphasis.

They're both great speakers, and I don't think you can go wrong with either, but for your purposes I think the 75s have an edge. Here's the best video I've come across comparing the two (I'm having trouble embedding it right now)
https://youtu.be/12lXMmU73Bo

I own and use both. I think they both do a good job of being a higher powered version of the respective greenback they are representing, 12M's for the M65 & H30's for H75. They are great mixed together or an M65 mixed with a V30 is also very cool.
The only issue I've had is when I used a pair of M65's together in a Bogner 2x12, I thought the bottom end was kinda loose and not really suited to heavier styles. Mixing in an H75 or a V30 with the M65 fixed the problem. An H75 with a V30 was too much for me in the upper mids / high end.
I've voiced the opinion before on here that I thought the 65's were too loose for metal, but others have dis-agreed, and I believe it was Jer-Evil who posted a vid using the 65's that sounded pretty good. For me, 2x65's in the Bogner OS with a Twin Jet or a 5150 was a mess. Not good at all. :dunno:
If I was loading a 4x12, I'd probably go with a pair of each type of Creamback, but a 4x12 with 2x65's and 2xV30's would give you a similar vibe to a Friedman cab with higher power handling. I think either one would sound fantastic, but I would definitely shy away from using 4x M65's, especially if you already have a greenback cab.

fusedbrain":25f0mab3 said:
I think either one would sound fantastic, but I would definitely shy away from using 4x M65's, especially if you already have a greenback cab.

Why, would it be too similar to a GB cab? For what it's worth, the G12M-25s do metal pretty well, with the right amp.

I guess I'm leaning toward the 75s then. I do have some spare V30s laying around. I could pair two 75s and two V30s in the cab as well.

Congrats on a bad ass amp brother! :cheers: I made a vid comparing the two speakers in question using the Diezel Paul, if you haven't seen it. I personally think you would be happier with the 75W. It's just a more aggressive speaker. Both are great speakers though. :rock:

Or, If you like I can make a vid using the Gemini comparing both speakers. :dunno:

Gsxrbusa":2ay4hdbm said:
Congrats on a bad ass amp brother! :cheers: I made a vid comparing the two speakers in question using the Diezel Paul, if you haven't seen it. I personally think you would be happier with the 75W. It's just a more aggressive speaker. Both are great speakers though. :rock:

Or, If you like I can make a vid using the Gemini comparing both speakers. :dunno:

Oh snap, I'll check out that vid. I haven't seen it. But if you have time to make a comparison withe the Gemini, that would be awesome. But don't go out of your way if you don't have to. :rock:

I guess it wasn't in the same video and I was comparing the Neo Creamback which is suppose to sound exactly like the 65w so I've heard. This isn't scientific by any means But here they are. Not sure if this will help since it's the Neo vs 75w Cream.

Yeah, still helpful. Thanks!

Hmm... they sound very similar I guess. The H75 has a bit more bite and a slightly thinner lower mid range? And the Neo 65 has more of a low-mid growl. But sounds like it's a bit looser?

Were you running your subs in these clips?

FourT6and2":kb2jkgw9 said:
Yeah, still helpful. Thanks!

Hmm... they sound very similar I guess. The H75 has a bit more bite and a slightly thinner lower mid range? And the Neo 65 has more of a low-mid growl. But sounds like it's a bit looser?

Were you running your subs in these clips?

I'm sub addicted. So yes, I was running them. :D

I think your assessment is spot on. The H75 is my favorite speaker.

Currently I have

EVH
G12-35XC
V30
"A" type
"V" type
Greenbacks
NEOs
Lynchbacks

And the 75s win for me.

Gsxrbusa":1dylqri5 said:
FourT6and2":1dylqri5 said:
Ok, thanks! I'll give 'em a shot.

cecilbag":1dylqri5 said:
That makes me want to get some 75s as well.

Sweet! The 75w is like the perfect V30. No honk in mids and smoother top end.

The tinkering never ends lol. I guess that's part of the fun with this stuff.

The Bogner cab in question currently has original G12-65s. But they are too dark and smooth for an amp like the Gemini. I need more growl and bark. The original 65s sound great when you really crank an amp through them. But they need volume. Otherwise they sound wooly and round. But when pushed, they take on a good piano-like chime. But I can't really hit them with much volume these days, being in an apartment.

FourT6and2":19qgluq1 said:
fusedbrain":19qgluq1 said:
I think either one would sound fantastic, but I would definitely shy away from using 4x M65's, especially if you already have a greenback cab.

Why, would it be too similar to a GB cab? For what it's worth, the G12M-25s do metal pretty well, with the right amp.

I guess I'm leaning toward the 75s then. I do have some spare V30s laying around. I could pair two 75s and two V30s in the cab as well.

Yeah too similar and too loose sounding.
And I agree about G12M-25's. My 5150 and TJ sound great through a greenback-loaded 4x12, but that Bogner 2x12, when it was loaded with the M65's was not happening. :confused:

That video with the H75's is great. That's what they sound like. :rock:

fusedbrain":3unnakmk said:
FourT6and2":3unnakmk said:
fusedbrain":3unnakmk said:

Yeah too similar and too loose sounding.
And I agree about G12M-25's. My 5150 and TJ sound great through a greenback-loaded 4x12, but that Bogner 2x12, when it was loaded with the M65's was not happening. :confused:

That video with the H75's is great. That's what they sound like. :rock:

Ok, cool.

I just tried the cab as it is now, with original G12-65s (not Creambacks). And it actually sounds pretty good. Definitely needs lots of volume to wake the 65s up. But not toooo shabby.

I made the mistake of getting the M65 when I got some creambacks. They did sound great but were a bit to mid rangey for me, should have gone with the H75's in hindsight :doh:

sytharnia1560":2txrjo4t said:
I made the mistake of getting the M65 when I got some creambacks. They did sound great but were a bit to mid rangey for me, should have gone with the H75's in hindsight :doh:

Hmm, well I love me some mids...

Compared to regular G12M-25 Greenbacks, do they have a similar mid-range? More? Less? Just different?

sytharnia1560":18ez2hh8 said:
I've been watching this thread and have been contemplating these two speakers for a while. Every clip I hear of the M65 I hear a LOT of mids and a bit of a nasally quality. I loves me some mids but not nasally mids.

Loaded my Friedman cab with the H75's. So good. The perfect speaker for me. It's like someone took the low end from a T75 and the mids from a Greenback and added a touch of sparkle on top.

lukeburke1":1gf2i97v said:
I've had both, and I think you'd be happier with the 75s. The 75s have a bigger bottom and more sizzle in the highs. The 65s have smooth highs, tight bass, and a lot of upper-mid emphasis.

They're both great speakers, and I don't think you can go wrong with either, but for your purposes I think the 75s have an edge. Here's the best video I've come across comparing the two (I'm having trouble embedding it right now)
https://youtu.be/12lXMmU73Bo

That is a great video comparison.
Gsxrbusa":1gf2i97v said:
I guess it wasn't in the same video and I was comparing the Neo Creamback which is suppose to sound exactly like the 65w so I've heard. This isn't scientific by any means But here they are. Not sure if this will help since it's the Neo vs 75w Cream.

Wow, great vid also... G12H-75 sounds pretty damn good to my ears... I swear after reading a few speaker threads I've suddenly developed some serious speaker GAS lol.. will it ever end?

Back