Incoming NCD, 80's Marshall 1960A

SpiderWars

At the suggestion of racerxrated, I sent an offer on a GC online used Marshall 1960A that had been there forever. For you GC online used stalkers, it is the 80s 4x12 that was pictured sideways with faded cloth. It has vented G12T-75s. I prob still overpaid a bit but at least I have the option to return it and not be stuck with another 4x12. Vintage gear must be returned in like 3 days or something IIRC. Still don't know how they ship it for $33.75. I hope I like it. I have an early 70s Marshall 1960B with G12M-25s in it ($499 GC.online!)...so it's got some stiff competition.
I got those wonderful 5 words we all love to see: "On vehicle for delivery today."

Great cab and congrats! I have a very early version of this as mine still have the 15ohm stamp ( july 1984 ) This cab will be completely different than your other Greenback cab so take some time and you may have to dial in you amps a little different..

They are nice cabs especially with Marshalls. I've read where Yngwie used to hoard these up along with 72 JMPs for his sound. I found them very similar to my old 79 checker cab with 65s. Have an 84 cab now with the 15 ohm vented 75s. So different from the 75s made today, should be in a different category...

Tolex is in better shape than I expected. Input jack is a little wonky but works fine, I'll still swap it out. More sizzle than my greenback cab and bigger/tighter bass but the mids are there and sound great. Sounds good clean too (greeny cab does too). A cool, more aggressive flavor. So far me likey.

However, that stain looks like...

Congrats! GC is the best for cabs. Just got a rare-ish Ampeg bass cab shipped for $30. Terrible packing job but it got here in one piece. Buying from anywhere els would have made the cab way too expensive just due to shipping.

I have a similar cab I got from GC about a year ago. I paid $300 for mine in store, and it was about a step below yours as far as looks/condition. But it's all functional and a great cab.

sahlomonic":8ovni25q said:
I have a similar cab I got from GC about a year ago. I paid $300 for mine in store, and it was about a step below yours as far as looks/condition. But it's all functional and a great cab.
That's a great deal. There was a B cab, almost just like this one for $400 on CL for a while but it was 6 hours away in Miami and the dude wouldn't meet up anywhere (can't really blame him...it is CL after all).

This thing is a high gain rhythm machine.

Cool. I've always wanted to try those vented T75s. For certain things I like the regular T75s, but I couldn't live with them as an all around speaker (so I've stuck with 65s in my only 4x12).

And I tend to prefer the A cabs. I know you'll read over and over how straights have more bass and whatever, but to me they sound so uneven in the room that it's hard to dial in the amp.

cardinal":3iqcql86 said:
Cool. I've always wanted to try those vented T75s. For certain things I like the regular T75s, but I couldn't live with them as an all around speaker (so I've stuck with 65s in my only 4x12).

And I tend to prefer the A cabs. I know you'll read over and over how straights have more bass and whatever, but to me they sound so uneven in the room that it's hard to dial in the amp.
65s are one of my faves, and like you I prefer A cabs..I like to hear myself better and they seem to do that better than B cabs. You need to try these 75s if you get a chance. To me they are very similar to 65s, a bit brighter for sure, but great mids and lows.

I haven't tried it but I think my OS 2x12 would sound great with 65s. I'd love to find a pair reasonable...or 1x 65 and 1x old greenback since my GB cab actually has 1x 65 in it now.

I would have to agree with you about the 80's-800 Cabs, always had a bit more growl in the Mid-Low end. One of my all time favorite cabs. I gravitate to the B cabs of the era. Since I play through stacks it seemed a waste for 1/2 my speakers in the A cab playing to the ceiling. Not many fans up there :LOL: :LOL:

Congratz on the find and best of luck with it.

Back