Synergy amps?

JerEvil":mqmf0j5n said:
webrthomson":mqmf0j5n said:
That Metropoulos demo is ace - we want more of those :)

I ordered a Syn-2, VHT, HBE and SLO - I want more but that is what I can afford at the moment - now I have to wait :doh:
??? You mean VH4?

Oops sorry fat finger moment I do mean the VH4 - Steve should do a Ultra lead though :)

Hey Jer, if you get into modular game, def go with a new Syn1 or 2 over the older stuff. Just more features in all and you will be able to make better use of the dual modules and component wise, the edge probably goes to synergy. At the price point vs the RM4's or used Randall stuff, it is a no brainer. I am gonna continue to rock my lynch box and modules until some of these start to pop in the classifieds for 250-300$. Then I will jump all over them like white on rice.

Kapo_Polenton":38s2dvxg said:
Hey Jer, if you get into modular game, def go with a new Syn1 or 2 over the older stuff. Just more features in all and you will be able to make better use of the dual modules and component wise, the edge probably goes to synergy. At the price point vs the RM4's or used Randall stuff, it is a no brainer. I am gonna continue to rock my lynch box and modules until some of these start to pop in the classifieds for 250-300$. Then I will jump all over them like white on rice.

I would not dump the old MTS amps, and racks just yet. There is already 3rd party upgrades (ATM for RM100, and RM4) coming to covert them to dual channel. I'm currently looking into the cathode cap/resister switch on the new modules. We share this info the MTS forums. There is a ton of existing MTS equipment, the door is open for modders to fill the void, as long as the Syn stuff takes off.

Kapo_Polenton":1x0lgjow said:
I hear you. I like that it'd be warranty'd as well. I lean towards the Syn2 so I am pulling stuff out of the chassis less frequently if I am honest. Not sure what the wear rate is on these things.

CrazyNutz":1x0lgjow said:
Kapo_Polenton":1x0lgjow said:

I would not dump the old MTS amps, and racks just yet. There is already 3rd party upgrades (ATM for RM100, and RM4) coming to covert them to dual channel. I'm currently looking into the cathode cap/resister switch on the new modules. We share this info the MTS forums. There is a ton of existing MTS equipment, the door is open for modders to fill the void, as long as the Syn stuff takes off.
See I like the idea of the RM4 but seeing as I am 100% mechanically NOT savvy, modding one is not an option.

JerEvil":g7kqfrxs said:
I hear you. I like that it'd be warranty'd as well. I lean towards the Syn2 so I am pulling stuff out of the chassis less frequently if I am honest. Not sure what the wear rate is on these things.

I would not worry too much about wearing the slots out. I mod the modules, during the modding process (i.e. make a change, then instert, repeat) I have inserted them probably over a thousand times in my RM100 with no issues.

JerEvil":g7kqfrxs said:
See I like the idea of the RM4 but seeing as I am 100% mechanically NOT savvy, modding one is not an option.

Got you, however the modifications are usually easier than installing a pickup. Open case, replace a small board, close case, done.

I'm thinking I may get one to add an HBE to my Butterslax for leads, that way I can set my 3rd channel for all rhythms which I like better for somethings, turning it into a 5 channel behemoth

JerEvil":4d1c1fks said:
Kapo_Polenton":4d1c1fks said:

CrazyNutz":4d1c1fks said:
Kapo_Polenton":4d1c1fks said:

My beef is that it feels like it is next to impossible to get anything MTS that hasn't been modded the shit out of. Everyone has XYZ done to their module when in reality most of these modules benefitted from 2-3 parts being changed and sounded really good. The Lynch modules definitely still hold their own and in a lot of cases, I think sound better than some of the top modder's work. The whole point of Synergy is that you won't have to butcher the preamps as they are already designed with good caps and by the designer of the amp or a group of people from the company who know amps and circuitry well. I think the Synergy 800 and Plexi modules with input from Friedman, Egnater, and Metropoulos should probably hold up just fine. Furthermore, working on those tiny ass module PCB's is a pain in the ass regardless of what people say and also the reason so many of those modules had the pcb traces burned or were mangled.

I just want the COD and EG3/4 stock the rest I would buy synergy.(SLO,HBE,and a few others) I like the dual 50w head and might go with that, but could see adding a few 2 space rack units.....hoping they come out with a 4 space unit like the M4.

Kapo_Polenton":1xmktcjq said:
JerEvil":1xmktcjq said:

CrazyNutz":1xmktcjq said:

My beef is that it feels like it is next to impossible to get anything MTS that hasn't been modded the shit out of. Everyone has XYZ done to their module when in reality most of these modules benefitted from 2-3 parts being changed and sounded really good. The Lynch modules definitely still hold their own and in a lot of cases, I think sound better than some of the top modder's work. The whole point of Synergy is that you won't have to butcher the preamps as they are already designed with good caps and by the designer of the amp or a group of people from the company who know amps and circuitry well. I think the Synergy 800 and Plexi modules with input from Friedman, Egnater, and Metropoulos should probably hold up just fine. Furthermore, working on those tiny ass module PCB's is a pain in the ass regardless of what people say and also the reason so many of those modules had the pcb traces burned or were mangled.

The manuals for both the 800 and Plexi modules state the Friedman designed them based on the best 800s and Plexis that he has owned. Man, I have been wanting to pull the trigger on both of those more than a BE, HBE or DS module.

Kapo_Polenton":2nj15ccv said:
JerEvil":2nj15ccv said:

CrazyNutz":2nj15ccv said:

I think you are spot on, I own some great modded work and some not so great...all at reasonably hefty prices and while most of it sounds great, it's much nicer having a BE/HBE/SLO module that's good stock....certainly less noisy ;-)

I am back up to 20+ modules now though, including 4 Synergy, and that Morgan AC20 is tempting me....and I barely even play...LOL

Kapo_Polenton":1ls0yvvn said:

The Lynch modules were designed by Dave, they do sound very good, and they were rarely, if ever modded.

The rest of the MTS modules, pretty much sucked stock, some could be fixed with a cap sub or two ( i.e. SL+ ).
This is why the door was opened for modification. Event touring artists were filling racks with MTS modded modules,
so they did not have to take their priceless amp on the road with them.

My beef is modder's like Salvation, and Jaded Faith Gooped boards after modding. This is total bullshit practice, I lose respect for people who do this.
I would never do such a thing.

^^ I guess they're just trying to protect their ideas, their "secrets", with the goop, but, it does make it really hard if you wanted to do further modifications, or, even repairs.

I got my Metroplex module the other day. It's outstanding. It sounds way better than my Duoplex, although, I like the control you have on the Duoplex, with the hi and low input knobs (replicating a classic 4 holer.) I love all of my modded modules, by both Rob and Anthony, but, this Metroplex just kicks ass. I have a JF JFM (JTM module), and, it is definitely a different sound than the Metroplex, as, it should be, because they are based off of 2 different amps.
My JTM module is staying in my chassis, but, I'm giving my Duoplex to a friend of mine, to try it out. If he likes it, I'll sell it to him.
But, the Metroplex is my Plexi module now.
I think I got the first one. The serial numbers end in 001.

Baba Louie":2004esum said:

Wow first one, that's awesome :rock:

As for the classic marshal mods built by JF, and salvation, the first problem is the use of wima polypropylene capacitors. A classic marshal circuit will never sound good with those caps. I have bags full of those caps, I've tried to use them while modding modules, they only sound ok with modern type modules.

Baba Louie":2oi4bqpr said:
^^ I guess they're just trying to protect their ideas, their "secrets", with the goop, but, it does make it really hard if you wanted to do further modifications, or, even repairs.

I got my Metroplex module the other day. It's outstanding. It sounds way better than my Duoplex, although, I like the control you have on the Duoplex, with the hi and low input knobs (replicating a classic 4 holer.) I love all of my modded modules, by both Rob and Anthony, but, this Metroplex just kicks ass. I have a JF JFM (JTM module), and, it is definitely a different sound than the Metroplex, as, it should be, because they are based off of 2 different amps.
My JTM module is staying in my chassis, but, I'm giving my Duoplex to a friend of mine, to try it out. If he likes it, I'll sell it to him.
But, the Metroplex is my Plexi module now.

In fairness to Rob over at Jaded Faith, he only started gooping because Salvation did and people were now replicating/ripping off his work. I don't like goop either but I guess it was a way to protect his intellectual property/ mods from everyone else with a soldering gun who felt they too could mod circuit boards. I think the Synergy Plexi module is designed so that the high/low inputs can be blended can they not? If that is the case, I think that will easily do what the Duoplex does.

Kapo_Polenton":2b5pws5w said:
I guess it was a way to protect his intellectual property

Sorry but this made me chuckle a bit :LOL: :LOL: Considering, he was using other peoples intellectual property to mod the modules in the first place. The goop is covering up a circuit taken from another amp for the most part.

Not trying to dog on him for using other peoples circuits, everyone does this even the big guy's (and this is how amps evolve), however gooping over it, now that is just silly. Anyone intent on knowing what is under the goop, can figure it out, just more of a nuisance really.

CrazyNutz":3ha7g6ky said:
Kapo_Polenton":3ha7g6ky said:
I guess it was a way to protect his intellectual property

Sorry but this made me chuckle a bit :LOL: :LOL: Considering, he was using other peoples intellectual property to mod the modules in the first place. The goop is covering up a circuit taken from another amp for the most part.

Not trying to dog on him for using other peoples circuits, everyone does this even the big guy's (and this is how amps evolve), however gooping over it, now that is just silly. Anyone intent on knowing what is under the goop, can figure it out, just more of a nuisance really.

Sorry.. his interpretation of someone else's work as it applies to a tiny PCB built specifically for MTS. Honestly, if you want to go that route, everyone has borrowed from everyone. In the case of the MTS platform, you can't necessarily redraw the PCB so you have to play with the values to get the voicing you need. As such, you aren't copying the exact layout of a SLO, you are coming up with a value or set of values and jumpers and switches which is your (his) interpretation of the circuit that the module is trying to cover. So actually "Yes", it is his intellectual property. I am not trying to argue TGP or Rig Talk style, but technically you are wrong because he can't rework the entire board, he has to find a way to work around the traces given. Goop is lame but i guess it kept a bunch of people from ripping his shit off as there were a few people who were in fact doing that. His prices have always been fair and his work is good so give the guy a break for trying to buil a career around doing something he digs. I think the modular mods have dried up quite a bit though so JF mostly does a lot of amp mods now and when he posts the guts, it doesn't look like there is any goop there thankfully.

PS- I have no affiliation with JF. I owned his SLO mod and it was cool but I liked my own mod better so I sold it.

Kapo_Polenton":wl0xodlq said:
Honestly, if you want to go that route, everyone has borrowed from everyone.

I agree, and I clearly stated that at the end of my comment.

Kapo_Polenton":wl0xodlq said:
but technically you are wrong because he can't rework the entire board, he has to find a way to work around the traces given.

I agree to an extent. However I have personally modded many modules, and I can pretty much rework the board, by adding jumpers, and cutting traces, moving gain controls after/before stages, etc. One of the challenges would be getting voltages/bias correct. I guess you can say he put in effort to tweek a bit, I would not go as far as saying he had any IP to protect.

Again I'm not trying to pee on his parade, I'm for these guys. But the gooping was bullshit.

Back