What new production 6550’s do you like in Marshall amps?

For quite awhile I was using Ruby in my '76 JMP and thought they sounded great. Right now I have JJ's in there and can't complain but I would give the edge to Ruby...strictly based on my amp and tonal experiences.

fender126":g4a4iqd8 said:
For quite awhile I was using Ruby in my '76 JMP and thought they sounded great. Right now I have JJ's in there and can't complain but I would give the edge to Ruby...strictly based on my amp and tonal experiences.

Which Ruby? I’m not sure the Chinese 6550 is still made?

glip22":1dotj8d0 said:
psychodave":1dotj8d0 said:
glip22":1dotj8d0 said:

Any reasons why? lol.
I had a quad of GE 6550. I installed the Tung Sol and thought they sounded almost as good so I sold the GE.
+1

The Reissue 2555X I had came with those, I promptly put in my Vintage GEs and no difference at all. Very nice tube.

Racerxrated":1ppvabj1 said:
The Reissue 2555X I had came with those, I promptly put in my Vintage GEs and no difference at all. Very nice tube.

I thought the 2555X came with EL34's???

The Shuguang/Ruby/Valve art were constructed very close to the GE6550 but I had bias drift and a couple were on the way to burning up on me. The Sovtek 6550's are very reliable and sound good. I also heard the Tung Sol as well as the Gold Lion 6550's are good but pricey. The new SED 6550 are relabled Sovteks AFAIK. I still have some quads of real SED's and my old ones are still going strong with alot of hours on them in my 2203. I would say SED(Sovtek) if you are looking for a budget tube, Tung Sol or Gold Lion if price isn't an issue.

Alot of people like the JJKT88 but I found them to be tubby in the low end and very compressed and Eurotubes describe them as compressed and that what I found. I would like to try JJ's 6550 offering just to see what they sound like.

harddriver":2kb5ozdc said:
Racerxrated":2kb5ozdc said:

I thought the 2555X came with EL34's???

The Shuguang/Ruby/Valve art were constructed very close to the GE6550 but I had bias drift and a couple were on the way to burning up on me. The Sovtek 6550's are very reliable and sound good. I also heard the Tung Sol as well as the Gold Lion 6550's are good but pricey. The new SED 6550 are relabled Sovteks AFAIK. I still have some quads of real SED's and my old ones are still going strong with alot of hours on them in my 2203. I would say SED(Sovtek) if you are looking for a budget tube, Tung Sol or Gold Lion if price isn't an issue.

Alot of people like the JJKT88 but I found them to be tubby in the low end and very compressed and Eurotubes describe them as compressed and that what I found. I would like to try JJ's 6550 offering just to see what they sound like.
Mine was a barely used one, but used nonetheless. That amp can run ANY octal tube, in 2 separate pairs or full quads. At one point I had a pair of KT90s, with a pair of 6L6s. Lots of cool combinations. Original owner must've changed the 34s out for 6550s.

psychodave":3qro2vgg said:
fender126":3qro2vgg said:

Which Ruby? I’m not sure the Chinese 6550 is still made?
I honestly don't know for certain as they were in the amp a number of years ago. It's quite possible is was this one............

http://www.dougstubes.com/power-tubes/6 ... 0-str.html

not tested in marshall amps but to me tung sol 6550(reissue) sounds too hi fi and bass heavy, i will try sovtek 6550we and svetlana 6550c next time and see if they are more guitar friendly

Back