Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Aug 12, 2020 7:15pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 463 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sun, Dec 02, 2018 8:51pm 

steve_k wrote:
Mailman1971 wrote:
steve_k wrote:
I read all this and think my water just broke.

Dont worry. I have ice chips to comfort you...
:lol: :LOL:

Anything for afterbirth? :D

Depends....
Birth in USA or Canada?

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 02, 2018 8:54pm 
Rock God

Are you human?: 951
braintheory wrote:
For what it’s worth, one of my friends who plays very low tuned extreme metal stuff has a Fortin Meshuggah and got a 1987 jubilee recently and says that his jubilee with a boost in front totally smokes his meshuggah, even for his style. He’s a monster player. I’m gonna try to make a trip up there and hear them side by side for myself. I’m curious. I’ll also bring either my Atomica or Aldrich up to compare

He also has a ccv and it’s one of his favorites

The only Fortin amp I ever tried was a Natas and I didn’t care for it. It sounded a bit synthetic to me, too smooth/not enough growl on powerchords and while it was tight, there are many amps out there that are tighter. I was told it was Fortin’s attempt at the Elan Metalhead. It had though a metallic quality to it that I liked

Only reason I've sold most of the Cameron's I've had, I always had a Jubilee at the same time....I'd compare both and with a boost, the Jubilee was right there with the Cameron in most aspects....those EQs are very different than a normal 800 and have a wide range like a Wizard's EQ. Jubilee's have a nice growl that most amps do not have.

1972 JMP Super Tremolo 1959T
HH M900
Roland SDE 3000 X2
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
Mesa Halfback 4x12 w/EV/C90s
Peavey Butcher Cab w/K85s
2009 Charvel USA Candy Plum SoCal
1984 Charvel San Dimas
1988 Jackson Soloist
1984 Greco JS65 Sykes LP
1985 Ibanez Destroyer

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 02, 2018 9:11pm 
Immortal Rock God

Anyway you slice it, Mark Cameron made the best Marshall mods on the planet.

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 02, 2018 9:15pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

This is the best thread in a long while here, very educational. Maybe I'll build a kit amp at some point.

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 02, 2018 9:28pm 
Rock God

steve_k wrote:

:rock:
I've had one from all the big names, except the original Jose A modded Marshall..and Mark's work stands above the others. The first one I had was the one that got away...it was a modern modded 2203x. That one still haunts me.
:doh:

HH M900
Roland SDE 3000 X2
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
1984 Charvel San Dimas
1988 Jackson Soloist
1984 Greco JS65 Sykes LP
1985 Ibanez Destroyer

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 02, 2018 9:36pm 
Supah Stah

Mailman1971 wrote:
steve_k wrote:
Mailman1971 wrote:
steve_k wrote:
I read all this and think my water just broke.

Dont worry. I have ice chips to comfort you...

Anything for afterbirth? :D

Depends....
Birth in USA or Canada?

placenta shampoo!

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 02, 2018 10:28pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Cameron is Lord of the Amps.

I think they made a musical about it or something.

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 02, 2018 11:46pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Racerxrated wrote:
braintheory wrote:
For what it’s worth, one of my friends who plays very low tuned extreme metal stuff has a Fortin Meshuggah and got a 1987 jubilee recently and says that his jubilee with a boost in front totally smokes his meshuggah, even for his style. He’s a monster player. I’m gonna try to make a trip up there and hear them side by side for myself. I’m curious. I’ll also bring either my Atomica or Aldrich up to compare

The only Fortin amp I ever tried was a Natas and I didn’t care for it. It sounded a bit synthetic to me, too smooth/not enough growl on powerchords and while it was tight, there are many amps out there that are tighter. I was told it was Fortin’s attempt at the Elan Metalhead. It had though a metallic quality to it that I liked

Only reason I've sold most of the Cameron's I've had, I always had a Jubilee at the same time....I'd compare both and with a boost, the Jubilee was right there with the Cameron in most aspects....those EQs are very different than a normal 800 and have a wide range like a Wizard's EQ. Jubilee's have a nice growl that most amps do not have.

Maybe that's why Gary Holt is using boosted jubilee's on the last Slayer tour...not sure it can top the 2203 Mark just did for me, its just plain brutal.

2) '79 1960B Marshall Cab w/G12M-25 creambacks

Numerous Custom Jackson King V's

Sell me your Jackson KV1T :rawk:

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 03, 2018 12:10am 
Supah Stah

scottosan wrote:
FourT6and2 wrote:
mctallica1 wrote:
If you get past all the bullshit in this thread, there is a lot of great information here.

I’ve been playing for a LOOOONG time and have gone through a metric shit ton of high end high gain amps, but have virtually zero technical knowledge. Given all the experience I have, I do know what I like, but couldn’t tell you what resistors, caps, etc get me there.

Like I said.... lots of bullshit, but also some excellent info :thumbsup:

T

Here's some more excellent info:

Buy a Ceriatone 50-watt Chupacabra.

1. Change first two cathode resistors to 2K7
2. Swap the first two coupling caps around
3. Lower first plate resistor to 330K... or a 100K bypassed with 330pF in series with 220K
4. Revert the rest of the circuit back to STOCK Marshall specs (tone stack, PI, NFB, remove depth control, add the missing 10K B+ dropper, etc.)
5. Change the "feel" push/pull control's resistor to 68K and change the V1b input grid resistor to 68K

That will get you 99.99% of the way to your dream djent machine.

And here you can get a PCB to build the TC Integrated Pre

https://www.rullywow.com/product/chuggapre/

I just got mine. I'll.post details to omit/hardwire the bass/treble controls so that there will only be a level control like the 33

I've built two, one adjustable and one "33". They're not that great. :lol: :LOL: Fun project for <$30 each though.

Kemper Amplification
Horizon Devices

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 03, 2018 7:20am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

vultures wrote:
I've built two, one adjustable and one "33". They're not that great. :lol: :LOL: Fun project for <$30 each though.

I like mine with my recto and 5150, but with the treble and bass fixed it is definitely something that works with some amps and not with others.

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 03, 2018 8:43am 
Rock God

exo-metal wrote:
Racerxrated wrote:
braintheory wrote:

Maybe that's why Gary Holt is using boosted jubilee's on the last Slayer tour...not sure it can top the 2203 Mark just did for me, its just plain brutal.

I'll never say that a boosted Jube is better than a Cam Marshall, for me it was similar enough that I would sell the Cam and pocket some cash for something different....GAS is a hard thing to fight...... :doh:

HH M900
Roland SDE 3000 X2
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
1984 Charvel San Dimas
1988 Jackson Soloist
1984 Greco JS65 Sykes LP
1985 Ibanez Destroyer

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 03, 2018 12:46pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Tell me about it.

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 03, 2018 12:48pm 
Rock God

exo-metal wrote:
Racerxrated wrote:
braintheory wrote:

I saw him say he was using DSL100H's?

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 03, 2018 1:23pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

YouTube it, for the Slayer tour he used the reissue jubilee. I'm not sure if they're modded or boosted. I know it's one or the other, I heard them and his tone/playing was next level.

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 04, 2018 12:03pm 
Plank Cranker

Best thread ever !

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 04, 2018 12:39pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

exo-metal wrote:
YouTube it, for the Slayer tour he used the reissue jubilee. I'm not sure if they're modded or boosted. I know it's one or the other, I heard them and his tone/playing was next level.

They are boosted. He uses 2 Boost an Od 808 & the Maxon Super Tube.

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 04, 2018 12:40pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

napalmdeath wrote:
exo-metal wrote:
Racerxrated wrote:
braintheory wrote:

That's what he used to use until the Reissue Jubilees came out.

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 04, 2018 3:42pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Gary rules :rawk:

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 04, 2018 3:49pm 
Rock God

Detroit1973 wrote:
napalmdeath wrote:
exo-metal wrote:
Racerxrated wrote:
braintheory wrote:

That's what he used to use until the Reissue Jubilees came out.

Good for him! Those are FAT sounding amps!

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 04, 2018 4:16pm 
Rock God

vultures wrote:
scottosan wrote:
FourT6and2 wrote:
mctallica1 wrote:
If you get past all the bullshit in this thread, there is a lot of great information here.

I’ve been playing for a LOOOONG time and have gone through a metric shit ton of high end high gain amps, but have virtually zero technical knowledge. Given all the experience I have, I do know what I like, but couldn’t tell you what resistors, caps, etc get me there.

T

3. Lower first plate resistor to 330K... or a 100K bypassed with 330pF in series with 220K
4. Revert the rest of the circuit back to STOCK Marshall specs (tone stack, PI, NFB, remove depth control, add the missing 10K B+ dropper, etc.)
5. Change the "feel" push/pull control's resistor to 68K and change the V1b input grid resistor to 68K

I just got mine. I'll.post details to omit/hardwire the bass/treble controls so that there will only be a level control like the 33

You should go into business.

I would ask you to make me one but the 33 was probably the worst pedal I have owned.

"It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission"

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 04, 2018 4:26pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

steve_k wrote:

Wonder how his modded Wizard sounds :D
one in the classifieds section, down from $7k to $4k

Wizard MCII KT88
Wizard MTL2 100w
Cabs: Orange 412's & StoneAge 4x12
Gibson CS Les Pauls
Knaggs
James Tylers
Suhr Thorn & Henderson

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 04, 2018 7:13pm 
Supah Stah

LOL... ouch! Larry knows someone copied him. :yes:

https://www.facebook.com/18932221443708 ... 447789280/

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 12:13am 
Supah Stah

maddnotez wrote:
vultures wrote:
scottosan wrote:
FourT6and2 wrote:
mctallica1 wrote:

T

You should go into business.

I would ask you to make me one but the 33 was probably the worst pedal I have owned.

I appreciate the compliment. I've thought about it a thousand times, but I think my "perfectionism" would keep me from sending anything out. I always end up reflowing joints to get them shiny or cutting resistors because they're not even with the others. :lol: :LOL:

Kemper Amplification
Horizon Devices

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 3:05am 
Immortal Rock God

UberschallEL34 wrote:
steve_k wrote:

Wonder how his modded Wizard sounds :D
one in the classifieds section, down from $7k to $4k

Rick won't even let it cross back into Canada.

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 5:01am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

CrazyNutz wrote:
The way I look at these Jose amps, it's akin to a food dish. It's like a burger, pizza, or chili, etc.. Every chef tweaks the recipe, uses ingredients sourced from different places, etc.. At the end of the day it's still a burger, pizza, or chili. It's just you might find you like one burger joint over the other.

Other amps are this way too, for example SLO type amps. Recto's, 5150's, EVH, and many others are ripoff's of Soldano's amp.

Pro chef of 10+ years here <----
Great way to look at it.
Also, even though i'm the executive chef, not every dish is personally cooked and plated by me...even though i'd love for that to be physically possible.
I have minions too, as these amp builders must have.

I admit, i only checked out this thread to see how/why it was up to 6 pages. Entertaining stuff.
How do some of you guys spend 3k + on these kinds of amps though? Do you all lose your shirt trying to sell them when the next big thing hits?

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 7:20am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

JimAnsell wrote:
CrazyNutz wrote:
The way I look at these Jose amps, it's akin to a food dish. It's like a burger, pizza, or chili, etc.. Every chef tweaks the recipe, uses ingredients sourced from different places, etc.. At the end of the day it's still a burger, pizza, or chili. It's just you might find you like one burger joint over the other.

Other amps are this way too, for example SLO type amps. Recto's, 5150's, EVH, and many others are ripoff's of Soldano's amp.

Great way to look at it.
Also, even though i'm the executive chef, not every dish is personally cooked and plated by me...even though i'd love for that to be physically possible.

I admit, i only checked out this thread to see how/why it was up to 6 pages. Entertaining stuff.
How do some of you guys spend 3k + on these kinds of amps though? Do you all lose your shirt trying to sell them when the next big thing hits?

If you're buying an amp to play why would you focus on resale? For me personally these days I don't buy stuff I am intending to sell later, if I buy something that doesn't have a return policy it is because I am planning to keep it. I used to buy used gear to try out then resell it to try something else, but selling stuff has become too much of a hassle to do that with any frequency anymore.

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 10:10am 
Plank Cranker

JimAnsell wrote:
CrazyNutz wrote:

Great way to look at it.

Yeah, I forgot to mention the only problem with my analogy is, restaurants market their burger, as a burger. Amp builders don't market their amp as a Jose, or a SLO type. They didn't have to because end users would not know. That's until you throw us hobbyists on the internet, and we spill the beans, haha!

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 10:44am 
Rock God

CrazyNutz wrote:
JimAnsell wrote:
CrazyNutz wrote:

Great way to look at it.

Yeah, I forgot to mention the only problem with my analogy is, restaurants market their burger, as a burger. Amp builders don't market their amp as a Jose, or a SLO type. They didn't have to because end users would not know. That's until you throw us hobbyists on the internet, and we spill the beans, haha!

Yes. This.

Guitar amps are now parity products. They're all the same under the hood. So when you buy one, you're really just buying the brand.

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 11:09am 
Journeyman NOOB

Lol parity product. This guy reads a schematic and suddenly he is the amp guru. Your amp sounds like nothing special yet you are telling us it can hang with a Fortin. :lol: :LOL: fourtysixand2 is like the amp grinch. Spoiling tube amps for everyone. :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 11:16am 
Plank Cranker

Another Troll aacount ^^^

Demystifying something only ruins it when the only reason you liked it in the first place was because it was mysterious.

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 11:22am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

psychodave wrote:

I wish that i could test different amps around the world before making the decision to buy one. Unfortunatelly i'm forced to rely on clips and judging by them, i prefer Fortin's work by a mile.

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 11:29am 
Supah Stah

Thunkful wrote:
psychodave wrote:

I wish that i could test different amps around the world before making the decision to buy one. Unfortunatelly i'm forced to rely on clips and judging by them, i prefer Fortin's work by a mile.

Nothing wrong with preferences. :thumbsup: I liked the Fortin Natas I played. I also like Mike and he helped me out a few times over the years.

Larry’s post is about someone else copying his work and taking credit for it...but they still can’t get it right. :lol: :LOL: He even provides a list of people he’s not talking about. We all know who he’s referring to. :yes:

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 11:31am 
Supah Stah

Surprised no one mentioned the switch from custom Merren transformers in the first run to cheaper Heyboer OT/PT in these Metro kit amps. Personally not a Heyboer fan myself. I’m sure they forgot to mention this small detail as well.

:gethim: :aww:

Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), braintheory (S: Engl SE EL34), ChurchHill (S: Gibson Historic Custom BBR7), RKnight (S: Mesa Mark IV), LunatiBSW (S: Wizard MCII) and many more.

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 11:32am 
Rock God

Pseudo Drew Peterson wrote:
Lol parity product. This guy reads a schematic and suddenly he is the amp guru. Your amp sounds like nothing special yet you are telling us it can hang with a Fortin. :lol: :LOL: fourtysixand2 is like the amp grinch. Spoiling tube amps for everyone. :lol: :LOL:

Yet anooooother troll account. You sure do invest a lot of effort into this. Almost like it's your job or something.

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 11:34am 
Rock God

Wizard of Ozz wrote:
Surprised no one mentioned the switch from custom Merren transformers in the first run to cheaper Heyboer OT/PT in these Metro kit amps. Personally not a Heyboer fan myself. I’m sure they forgot to mention this small detail as well.

Nah they actually did disclose that info.

I don't blame them actually. It took me like 4 months to get Merren transformers. Imagine trying to get 100 sets of iron from him? It would take way too long.

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 11:40am 
Supah Stah

FourT6and2 wrote:
Wizard of Ozz wrote:

Nah they actually did disclose that info.

I don't blame them actually. It took me like 4 months to get Merren transformers. Imagine trying to get 100 sets of iron from him? It would take way too long.

The iron is a big part of the sound right there... so that’s one reason for the difference in sound between them.

Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), braintheory (S: Engl SE EL34), ChurchHill (S: Gibson Historic Custom BBR7), RKnight (S: Mesa Mark IV), LunatiBSW (S: Wizard MCII) and many more.

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 12:11pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

psychodave wrote:
Thunkful wrote:
psychodave wrote:

Nothing wrong with preferences. :thumbsup: I liked the Fortin Natas I played. I also like Mike and he helped me out a few times over the years.

Larry’s post is about someone else copying his work and taking credit for it...but they still can’t get it right. :lol: :LOL: He even provides a list of people he’s not talking about. We all know who he’s referring to. :yes:

Actually I have no idea who he's talking about?
help us non amp maker inside follower/knowers/trackers out.

This thread is awesome, good info and some fun banter, now if someone could just figure out how to get the smoke back in my amp, things would be great.

gtkdev on TGP​

Good deals with Green Pro Am, Holy-Diver, Blessedadversary777, Adam of Angels, Base341, bwgintegra ...

http://ashenreign.com

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 12:32pm 
Rock God

I actually have no idea either.

EDIT:
Never mind, I read all the comments in that FB post and the subject is very near and dear to this thread.

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 12:48pm 
Supah Stah

FourT6and2 wrote:
I actually have no idea either.

EDIT:
Never mind, I read all the comments in that FB post and the subject is very near and dear to this thread.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 1:13pm 
Journeyman NOOB

So here’s a question. What is worse in your book. Stealing so called amp designs, or stealing customers money. This ones for you psychodave.

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 2:02pm 
Supah Stah

So here’s a question. What is worse in your book. Stealing so called amp designs, or stealing customers money. This ones for you psychodave.

Depends on motivation.

If someone purposefully goes into business with other people intellectual capital, that’s downright dirty.

If someone takes money with good intentions to deliver a product and fails, it’s bad, but that outcome wasn’t intended.

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 2:17pm 
Journeyman NOOB

psychodave wrote:

Depends on motivation.

If someone purposefully goes into business with other people intellectual capital, that’s downright dirty.

If someone takes money with good intentions to deliver a product and fails, it’s bad, but that outcome wasn’t intended.

Hmm in a perfect world everyone’s original ideas would be patented and off hands. But I fail to see that being the case on almost everything we buy from cars to prescription drugs.

So how do you feel about replica guitars?

And there is no”good intentions” in business. If you take money from someone, you better deliver your product. 10 years and waiting is an abomination and should dealt with accordingly.

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 4:16pm 
Supah Stah

Hey, Welcome to the forum Drew,

https://m.facebook.com/LarryAmplificati ... 214437087/

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 5:00pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

The great collectable amps of the future are going to be the small batch one off amps made, by guys on forums such as this that have the tech knowledge mixed with the sheer interest of studying schematics, and cutting no corners. They will have had such an interest and level of experience that they will apply those to making, not for profit if they know it or not, a few really well built amps...but never taking them to a commercial level at all due to already having a great paying job, or other things. Those amps, eventually will reach cult status when played by a future great guitarist and..being so rare much like Dumble...will command insane prices. So ask yourself...who will make you that future classic?

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 5:28pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Hmmmm :confused:

Meshuggah box
Attachment:
Mike_Fortin2.png
Mike_Fortin2.png [ 161.41 KiB | Viewed 640 times ]

Mike quote from Facebook
Attachment:
fortin.jpg
fortin.jpg [ 117.5 KiB | Viewed 640 times ]

My Metro loop I received today

Attachments:
IMG_3668.JPG
IMG_3668.JPG [ 560.98 KiB | Viewed 640 times ]
PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 5:28pm 
Immortal Rock God

They should all just get together and release the Larry, Curley and Moe lineup.

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 5:31pm 
Rock God

technomancer wrote:
Hmmmm :confused:

Meshuggah box
Attachment:
Mike_Fortin2.png

Mike quote from Facebook
Attachment:
fortin.jpg

My Metro loop I received today

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 8:23pm 
Immortal Rock God

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 10:12pm 
Supah Stah

steve_k wrote:

:hys: :hys: :hys: :hys:

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05, 2018 10:38pm 
Supah Stah

FourT6and2 wrote:
Beyond Black wrote:
I believe what you are saying about the similarities between this and a Jose mod, but I know what my ears are hearing in that clip. That amp sounds vicious, brutal, and definitely has that Fortin tone.

The clips are misleading.
Historically, people with these amps play '80s cock rock and EVH, not modern metal. :) Plug an 8 string with a 33 or Grind boost pedal into a typical Jose mod and you'll get similar results.

Quote:
It's got to be more than a mere clone of a Jose mod.

Nope. It is literally a Jose mod. The exact Jose mod is commonly referred to as the Cameron Atomica. The Meshuggah just does not have the depth control.

Quote:
Are you saying Fortin didn't do any additional tweaking to get his signature sound?

Nope. The "tweaking" is the marketing. And making sure all your customers are running 33 or Grind boost pedals in all the clips.

Quote:
And if so, what's the crime in that?

There's no crime. Except I felt duped. I paid $3,300+ for an amp advertised as being a new, unique Fortin design with 4 gain stages. That is what the product description on Fortin's website said. It has now been changed. Edited. Removed. The amp does not have 4 gain stages. It is not a new, unique Fortin design. Simple typo? Who knows. It's gone now.

Quote:
Did Fortin ever claim that it was anything else?

Yes. First, the product page and all the social media posts said it has 4 gain stages and was a super mega awesome metal monster unique Fortin design. Maybe it was a typo. Maybe the marketing dude didn't know what he was writing. It's now been changed, btw. But this is after the fact. I bought my amp like 6-8 months ago under the impression this was something new from Fortin. If I had known it was a JCM800 with Jose mod, I wouldn't have bought it.

Second, before I placed my order I emailed Fortin to ask him if this was similar to his other Cali and Jose mods. He said no. Totally different. Not true.

Does it sound good? Hell yes it does. It sounded good 30 years ago too. :)

Quote:
If you don't want to shell out $3333.33 for a tweaked Jose mod, guess what, there's no gun to your head.

Like I said, if I had known it was a JCM800 Jose mod... the same damn circuit I've already built 4 times on my own in 2011, 2012, and two times last year, I wouldn't have bought one. Do they sound good? Yes (well not the one I bought since it was malfunctioning). But this really all stems from the marketing dude going off his leash to be honest.

I stand corrected, sir. If you were lead to believe through marketing that this was in fact a "new, unique, Fortin design with four gain stages", and received an amp with a 30 year old design with three gain stages that you could easily build yourself, I don't blame you for feeling cheated. I would too. Especially if Mike told you it wasn't similar to his Cali or Jose mods. I was actually going to get in on one of these but I dragged my feet and missed out. Glad I did. :lol: :LOL:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 463 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next