Mixing speakers in a 4x12 what's the best arrangement?

harddriver

What's the best orientation of the speakers? I've decided to get Heritage 12H-30's two 55hz and two 75hz. I see Friedman puts the warmer looser speaker Greenbacks on the top and tighter brighter Vintage 30's on the bottom.

I was guessing if logic follows Mr. Friedman I was thinking 55hz on top and 75 hz on the bottom??? It seems a little counterintuitive... But I guess it would move the highs of the 75hz a little lower from your ear and make it more pleasant since the 55's would be warmer and rounded of the two.

I am still wrestling with whether to get 4 55hz or mix the cab. I like how both speakers sound regardless.

I think it's more about the efficiency of the speaker that determines where you should place them...with V30s they are more efficient and will be louder than the GBs hence the bottom placement....but not sure about your two in combination...I might try X pattern with them first? Neither will be louder than the other so in this case the X might work well....

The Friedman upper speakers are 35 oz M magnets and 75 hz cones IIRC, they won't pierce your ears like the 50 oz H 75hz cones. The logic is that the extra bass and treble goes lower and doesn't fatigue your ears, which is why the M speakers are on top if its a slant.

It's also personal preference, what amp, what guitar, your settings, etc. as to whether or not it would be a problem.

IIRC, the 75Hz is barely slightly louder than the 55Hz, like <1dB. They're both 50oz magnets, but the 75Hz cone is ever so slightly more efficient. IIRC. :) I doubt it's noticeable without a meter. I'll agree with Racerxrated and suggest an X pattern.

Alternately, and this is just my opinion, but I think that the 75Hz has slightly stronger mids and slightly less extended bass and treble (which is why it's a tad more efficient). It's a really subtle difference, though. By that logic, I'd put the 75s on top.

A crazy option might be splitting them L/R... almost pseudo-stereo?? LOL! Probably not the best idea... ;)

Jim's right... ultimately, it's a personal preference, and the rest of your gear plays a role in what works best for you. Any way you arrange them, it should be a good sounding cab!

I have a big, dark sounding oversized straight 412.

As a result, I WANTED to be able to hear the thing. But I still wanted to exploit some of that dark thump.

I wasn't too much of a fan of speaker mixing after doing many combinations. But using speakers of the same "family" or a variation/clone I was alright with.

So, I had 2 x Chinese V30s that I put in the top of the cab for their crisp presence and cutting mids.
In the bottom I put a pair of older WGS Veteran 30s, which are smoother, thicker and less strident that the V30.

It's a perfect balance, for THAT cab.

Back