Jim Wagner WCR IceBucker Set incoming!

MetalHeadMike":um92yybz said:
braintheory":um92yybz said:
Hey guys, so I finally spent some time with my Iron Man bridge/Dark Burst neck set and Murkat bridge and compard them to my other favorite humbuckers Virgil Arlo’s, Tone Specific’s and Fishman Fluence Killswitch. The WCR’s fill that perfect middle ground niche for me because as amazing as the Virgil Arlo and Tone Specific’s are, they’re not tight/focused or modern enough for my metal needs, while the Fluence’s are the tightest pickups ever but too processed, compressed, not nuanced and more extreme than what I want most of the time

The Murkat so far suits me better than the Iron Man. I like that it’s more open, articulate, nuanced, brighter and I much prefer it for leads and single note stuff. It sounds more vocal for leads and the individual notes stand out more. The Iron Man is much more compressed, darker, and has a little bit of a cocked wah nasal sound in the low mids. The Murkat is not nasally at all. I wonder though if that’s just because of the guitar’s acoustic tone or something in the wiring because the dark burst neck it’s paired with is also a little nasally in the same way, but they still both sound great overall, I just don’t like nasal sounds. The Dark Burst neck is awesome like everyone here was saying.

What I prefer about the Iron Man over the Murkat is that it’s tighter, more chunky on palm mutes and more rich, growly on powerchords (especially in the low mids). It’s a beefier, thicker pickup than the Murkat. The Murkat has really nice upper mids though and Jim said it’s the same pickup as the Fillmore, but F-Spaced and 2 rows of adjustable screws. They’re both though great for metal and plenty hot. If the Murkat had the tighter, chunkier palm mutes and rich growl of the Iron Man it would be perfect.

Compared to the Virgil Arlo’s and Tone Specific (low output paf style pickups) they don’t clean up or do low gain nearly as well and they’re not as warm, but are much tighter/focused and more aggressive for high gain applications. And they’re also not as tight or modern as the Fluence’s, but still tight enough and will be used by me way more often. I’ll only use the Fluence’s if I want the tightest sound I can get or something super modern. The Murkat seems to be the best match for my style

I’m curious now to try the Ice Buckers and maybe the Shredder or Herc model. I heard those would be somewhere in between the Iron Man and Murkat/Fillmore, which might be perfect for me. I’ve also tried Godwoods in the past and they were also great. One thing all these WCR’s seem to have in common is that they’re very saturated and juicy while also being very focused and cutting and they feel great to play. I much prefer them to the other high output pickups I’ve had by Bare Knuckle, Motor City, Arcane, Lundgren, Wolfetone, etc. The only other one that may be able to give them a run for its money would be the Dunable Big Foot. I’ll have to put it in one of my guitars to compare. Should be interesting

Great review man, thanks for the detailed info :thumbsup: I've been considering the Iron Man, so this is valuable info. This part really speaks to me: "One thing all these WCR’s seem to have in common is that they’re very saturated and juicy while also being very focused and cutting and they feel great to play." I've been bouncing between BKP and Duncan, and I like the articulation and tightness of the BKP I've played, but they can be a bit unforgiving and dry. I like the Duncans for a bit more saturation and "juice". Maybe the Wagner pups would be a nice blend of the things I like from BKP and Duncan.
I think so. I’ve played almost all the bare knuckle humbucker models and many Duncan’s and much prefer the Wagner’s. They feel much better to play than the bkp’s and Duncan’s and are at least as tight and articulate, if not more. The Duncan’s, like you said, are more saturated than bkp’s, but they always felt a bit sloppy to me, especially on palm mutes.

I’m gonna ask Jim if either the Herc or Shredder would be that perfect middle ground I want of the Iron Man and Murkat/Fillmore

braintheory":2wa6u38f said:
MetalHeadMike":2wa6u38f said:
braintheory":2wa6u38f said:
Hey guys, so I finally spent some time with my Iron Man bridge/Dark Burst neck set and Murkat bridge and compard them to my other favorite humbuckers Virgil Arlo’s, Tone Specific’s and Fishman Fluence Killswitch. The WCR’s fill that perfect middle ground niche for me because as amazing as the Virgil Arlo and Tone Specific’s are, they’re not tight/focused or modern enough for my metal needs, while the Fluence’s are the tightest pickups ever but too processed, compressed, not nuanced and more extreme than what I want most of the time

The Murkat so far suits me better than the Iron Man. I like that it’s more open, articulate, nuanced, brighter and I much prefer it for leads and single note stuff. It sounds more vocal for leads and the individual notes stand out more. The Iron Man is much more compressed, darker, and has a little bit of a cocked wah nasal sound in the low mids. The Murkat is not nasally at all. I wonder though if that’s just because of the guitar’s acoustic tone or something in the wiring because the dark burst neck it’s paired with is also a little nasally in the same way, but they still both sound great overall, I just don’t like nasal sounds. The Dark Burst neck is awesome like everyone here was saying.

What I prefer about the Iron Man over the Murkat is that it’s tighter, more chunky on palm mutes and more rich, growly on powerchords (especially in the low mids). It’s a beefier, thicker pickup than the Murkat. The Murkat has really nice upper mids though and Jim said it’s the same pickup as the Fillmore, but F-Spaced and 2 rows of adjustable screws. They’re both though great for metal and plenty hot. If the Murkat had the tighter, chunkier palm mutes and rich growl of the Iron Man it would be perfect.

Compared to the Virgil Arlo’s and Tone Specific (low output paf style pickups) they don’t clean up or do low gain nearly as well and they’re not as warm, but are much tighter/focused and more aggressive for high gain applications. And they’re also not as tight or modern as the Fluence’s, but still tight enough and will be used by me way more often. I’ll only use the Fluence’s if I want the tightest sound I can get or something super modern. The Murkat seems to be the best match for my style

I’m curious now to try the Ice Buckers and maybe the Shredder or Herc model. I heard those would be somewhere in between the Iron Man and Murkat/Fillmore, which might be perfect for me. I’ve also tried Godwoods in the past and they were also great. One thing all these WCR’s seem to have in common is that they’re very saturated and juicy while also being very focused and cutting and they feel great to play. I much prefer them to the other high output pickups I’ve had by Bare Knuckle, Motor City, Arcane, Lundgren, Wolfetone, etc. The only other one that may be able to give them a run for its money would be the Dunable Big Foot. I’ll have to put it in one of my guitars to compare. Should be interesting

Great review man, thanks for the detailed info :thumbsup: I've been considering the Iron Man, so this is valuable info. This part really speaks to me: "One thing all these WCR’s seem to have in common is that they’re very saturated and juicy while also being very focused and cutting and they feel great to play." I've been bouncing between BKP and Duncan, and I like the articulation and tightness of the BKP I've played, but they can be a bit unforgiving and dry. I like the Duncans for a bit more saturation and "juice". Maybe the Wagner pups would be a nice blend of the things I like from BKP and Duncan.
I think so. I’ve played almost all the bare knuckle humbucker models and many Duncan’s and much prefer the Wagner’s. They feel much better to play than the bkp’s and Duncan’s and are at least as tight and articulate, if not more. The Duncan’s, like you said, are more saturated than bkp’s, but they always felt a bit sloppy to me, especially on palm mutes.

I’m gonna ask Jim if either the Herc or Shredder would be that perfect middle ground I want of the Iron Man and Murkat/Fillmore

:thumbsup:

MetalHeadMike":28c22w8c said:

I think the Wagners are MORE articulate than BKPs whilst retaining almost as much juice as Duncans. They feel unpotted, yet they are potted. Very addictive feel.

thegame":3ce282ox said:
MetalHeadMike":3ce282ox said:

I think the Wagners are MORE articulate than BKPs whilst retaining almost as much juice as Duncans. They feel unpotted, yet they are potted. Very addictive feel.

Now I'm intrigued. Gonna have to try some :rock:

thegame":1eo4608o said:
MetalHeadMike":1eo4608o said:

I felt the same way re the potting. I even ran mine across my engineer friend's ears and he confirmed the crazy amount of overtone they produced. His ears are much less abused by high SPL's. lol

I asked Jim today about getting either a Herc or Shredder to be that middle ground I wanted between my Iron Man and Murkat, but he said he stopped making those 2 because he wasn’t satisfied with how they sounded and that they wouldn’t do what I want and instead recommend an overwound Fillmore that would be between 15-16k with a ceramic magnet and a spare alnico 5 magnet I can try also try with it. I’ll probably put that in my guitar that currently has an Iron Man. Very curious to see how it will compare to the Iron Man and Murkat

And I also ordered an Ice Bucker set for another guitar

I also asked about the Fillmore and Iron Man necks since no one seems to talk about them. He said the Fillmore neck is a bit stratty sounding and hotter than my dark burst neck and the Iron man neck would be hotter/more compressed than my Datk Burst neck too, but similar in brightness and equally good clean. I may try them in the future if I spare neck pickup opening in one of my guitars

braintheory":2lrac3z0 said:
The Duncan’s, like you said, are more saturated than bkp’s, but they always felt a bit sloppy to me, especially on palm mutes.

Yes, I agree most Duncans have a slightly sloppy feel. Its not terribly bad or overly sloppy by any means but its there across the board in the entire mass produced Duncan lineup. Perhaps their custom shop models fair better in this regard ?

Speaking of character traits, does anyone else agree that Dimarzio pickups have a slightly plastic, non-woody character in the high end ? Its almost as if they are over potted (I find them very resistant to squealing feedback) and therefore killing some of the liveliness.

fearhk213":3863g4cl said:
Here's a couple of clips I did with my Icebucker set. I did this clip really quick a few weeks back to a/b the 33 & grind. With all the Icebucker talk I figured I post it up here. Definitely a nice, fast tracking pickup with good punch & crunch.

Solo'd https://soundcloud.com/user-602073996/33-grind-solod

W/drums & bass https://soundcloud.com/user-602073996/3 ... -ab-in-mix

Nice! thanks for posting this! A fast tracking pup with punch n crunch......yeah sounds right up my alley :D

Back