Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Tue, Oct 16, 2018 4:04am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 17, 2018 2:20pm 
Plank Cranker

Looking at a USA Charvel. Not cheap guitars. Played a few MIMs and liked them, but thinking of stretching the dollar a bit.

Anyone purchased a USA Select or similar USA Charvel lately? What's the consensus?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 17, 2018 2:49pm 
Rock God

Are you human?: 951
Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Looking at a USA Charvel. Not cheap guitars. Played a few MIMs and liked them, but thinking of stretching the dollar a bit.

Anyone purchased a USA Select or similar USA Charvel lately? What's the consensus?

Thanks!

I have not played or owned a newer Select series. But, I have owned about 14 08-09 SoCals and San Dimas USAs and they are very good guitars, and some I've played have been great-equal to a Charvel Custom in feel/tone/playability. The USA Charvel necks are a step up from the MIJ that followed, I know some like the fretwork better on the MIJ but something about the USAs just feel better to me. I have one Plum SoCal now and it will never leave. I've had 3 Custom shops and they've all been sold, this one beat them out.
If the select series is as good or better than the 08-09 run then I highly recommend one. I've played a few earlier MiM and was not impressed...but I have heard they are much better now.
You can sometimes find a used USA Style 2 at GC.com for 899 from time to time.

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19, 2018 8:39am 
Apprentice NOOB

Racerxrated wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:

Thanks!

I have not played or owned a newer Select series. But, I have owned about 14 08-09 SoCals and San Dimas USAs and they are very good guitars, and some I've played have been great-equal to a Charvel Custom in feel/tone/playability. The USA Charvel necks are a step up from the MIJ that followed, I know some like the fretwork better on the MIJ but something about the USAs just feel better to me. I have one Plum SoCal now and it will never leave. I've had 3 Custom shops and they've all been sold, this one beat them out.
If the select series is as good or better than the 08-09 run then I highly recommend one. I've played a few earlier MiM and was not impressed...but I have heard they are much better now.
You can sometimes find a used USA Style 2 at GC.com for 899 from time to time.

100% agree, I have a 2008 San Dimas 2nd Batch Candy Blue and it's my # 1. Played a friends Plum SoCal and that one is killer too. Can't go wrong with these Charvels.

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19, 2018 8:10pm 
Immortal Rock God

I played a USA select today at GC. It's the ugly purple one with HSS and a hardtail. Neck felt really nice, action was LOW. I don't know though about the price for them, seems overpriced. I didn't find anything wrong with it but nothing about it made me want to dish out the $1500 for it. I was trying it on a Mesa Triple Crown and I also tried a crappy Gibson LP Studio. As crappy as it was it still sounded much more beefier and better than the Charvel. If I was looking for a Charvel I'd just get an older USA one or a MIJ.

http://soundcloud.com/danieldowning