Are you human?: 951

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18, 2018 7:28pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Like the Savatage. So need to get me an Axe FX

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19, 2018 10:15am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Is this how a Splawn sounds? Or is this a delay demo? Wouldn't say I dont like it but a modeler with 68 amps and they all sound like the original amp its modeling is complete horse shit! That fucking chip ain't that big. Sorry! Or is it 250+ amps either way its snake oil. That does not mean this isnt a good product or it does not sound good. It's a rack effect with distortion and effects and yes it does sound good. 250+ amps in a 2U 19" rack is really obnoxious. I'd rather believe I can ride a bicycle to the moon.

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19, 2018 10:28am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Beandust wrote:
Is this how a Splawn sounds? Or is this a delay demo? Wouldn't say I dont like it but a modeler with 68 amps and they all sound like the original amp its modeling is complete horse shit! That fucking chip ain't that big. Sorry! Or is it 250+ amps either way its snake oil. That does not mean this isnt a good product or it does not sound good. It's a rack effect with distortion and effects and yes it does sound good. 250+ amps in a 2U 19" rack is really obnoxious. I'd rather believe I can ride a bicycle to the moon.

Wow dude. Relax. :scared:

Clips
My Blogs

"PEOPLE TRUST ME WITH THEIR LIVES,,,,, THINK ABOUT IT!" - Billy Blades

"I don't let peoples opinion of me rent space in my head, its none of my bidness."- Charveldan

"Mr. Blades is a dickwad, can't play for shit, can't make an amp to save his life and has shit gear.
Dan is largely misunderstood, a great person, a good GP and has excellent gear. Other than that they are nothing alike."
- Charveldan 03/02/16..............AKA: Chester Nimitz

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19, 2018 10:41am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

311splawndude wrote:
Beandust wrote:

Wow dude. Relax. :scared:

Why? This is rigtalk. Maybe search knitting or soft batch amp threads lmaool maybe u have something to add to my opinion instead of your wanna be therapist attempt? Funny

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19, 2018 10:43am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Beandust wrote:

Fractal Axe-FX III
KSR Juno

Orange 2x12 H75's

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19, 2018 10:46am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I better repeat.... It Does Sound good. Hope everyone can handle that

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19, 2018 2:02pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

It sounds like an idealized and mixed and mastered version of a Splawn amp. I don't think they sound like that in the room but no amp does.

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19, 2018 2:12pm 
Rock God

peterc52 wrote:
Beandust wrote:

Hey that's a great example of a nice recorded comparison. And, the AXE records incredibly well and put a great tone out direct to the FOH. Saves a ton of space on the road, and makes recording a breeze compared to a mic in front of a cab etc. Great tool.

But in the room, A/B ing a Marshall preset with a real JMP 2204 it was no contest, not even close, on any level whatsoever. No feel, responsiveness was bleh and overall tone was not really close at all with the real thing. Way far off to my ears. And that was with a FRFR speaker and then through the loop return of my C+.
Anyone thinking they will replace their tube amps with this and be satisfied, good luck. I won't be selling my tube amps. More power to you if it works for you.

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19, 2018 10:55pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

That's quite interesting. That's definitely doing a solid comparison! I should just get over it. I just cant understand the whole amp modeler debate. I dont understand the marketing personally. The damn thing sounds good. Why does it have to be sold as it sounds like something it isnt or is supposed to be or sounds exactly like ...etc.. etc. Just my opinion of course. They obviously have a huge data base of satisfied customers. If they didnt market it as 268 amp models would people not buy it? There are many reasons to have and like one ,the easy set up and and the small footprint is impressive. I wouldn't turn my nose up to it as well as I wouldn't wear a fake Rolex. Maybe one day it can be presented as it's own sound and not piggyback off every amp that's ever been played in one small Rack..and maybe it can have power amp as well seeing its rack mount gear and SS

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 20, 2018 3:07am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I should note that I would never use a axe-fx live or in a band. I use mine only for practice because of the easy volume control. But can’t deny it sounds good.

Fractal Axe-FX III
KSR Juno

Orange 2x12 H75's

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 20, 2018 7:07am 
Rock God

peterc52 wrote:
I should note that I would never use a axe-fx live or in a band. I use mine only for practice because of the easy volume control. But can’t deny it sounds good.

When I got my AX8 I loved it. So easy to use, and it sounded really good. Like any solid state pre or amp, you don't have to fight the unit ie it is very forgiving and easy to play. But it had to happen...let's compare it to my amps. And that was my mistake lol...no matter how I ran it with an FRFR speaker or tube power it just didn't compare to my tube amps.

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 20, 2018 8:57am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Racerxrated wrote:
peterc52 wrote:

When I got my AX8 I loved it. So easy to use, and it sounded really good. Like any solid state pre or amp, you don't have to fight the unit ie it is very forgiving and easy to play. But it had to happen...let's compare it to my amps. And that was my mistake lol...no matter how I ran it with an FRFR speaker or tube power it just didn't compare to my tube amps.

Would you say the ax8 was not as good or feel wise when comparing to tube amps? I had one for 3 weeks and tried every value on the power amp section and got pretty frustrated

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 20, 2018 9:04am 
Rock God

Beandust wrote:
Racerxrated wrote:
peterc52 wrote:

Would you say the ax8 was not as good or feel wise when comparing to tube amps? I had one for 3 weeks and tried every value on the power amp section and got pretty frustrated

No, it's really not even close. Can't be compared to a tube amp for that reason mainly. Granted I didn't mess with tweaking this or that, or buying cab sims...I figured if it's that far off out of the box, no amount of tweaking was gonna make me happy. Tried FRFR and the FX return of a 100w C+.
I think it's a great product for certain uses, but if you love your favorite tube amps and want to replace them with the AXE, sooner or later you're gonna miss the real thing.
Adding one to your collection is a better idea.

Last edited by Racerxrated on Thu, Sep 20, 2018 9:18am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 20, 2018 9:10am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Racerxrated wrote:
Beandust wrote:
Racerxrated wrote:
peterc52 wrote:

No, it's really not even close. Can't be compared to a tube amp for that reason mainly. Granted I didn't mess with tweaking this or that, or buying cab sims...I figured if it's that far off out of the box, no amount of tweaking was gonna make me happy.
I think it's a great product for certain uses, but if you love your favorite tube amps and want to replace them with the AXE, sooner or later you're gonna miss the real thing.
Adding one to your collection is a better idea.

Thanks T!!! Couldn't :rock: agree more

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 20, 2018 9:36am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Beandust wrote:
That's quite interesting. That's definitely doing a solid comparison! I should just get over it. I just cant understand the whole amp modeler debate. I dont understand the marketing personally. The damn thing sounds good. Why does it have to be sold as it sounds like something it isnt or is supposed to be or sounds exactly like ...etc.. etc. Just my opinion of course. They obviously have a huge data base of satisfied customers. If they didnt market it as 268 amp models would people not buy it? There are many reasons to have and like one ,the easy set up and and the small footprint is impressive. I wouldn't turn my nose up to it as well as I wouldn't wear a fake Rolex. Maybe one day it can be presented as it's own sound and not piggyback off every amp that's ever been played in one small Rack..and maybe it can have power amp as well seeing its rack mount gear and SS

Totally get what you're saying. Here's my .02.

It never has sounded like an amp in the room to me. I run it through a Friedman ASM 12 and I've tried some other powered PA options. it's nothing more than a glorified monitor to me. Here's where the AX8 shines (IMHO):

- I will NEVER be able to get close to affording 1/3 of the amps in this thing. Having this is as close as I'll ever get and it affords me a TON of tonal options.
- I love the effects. I would literally be fine taking out my 101b and stripping a few presets down to just delays and reverbs and using it.
- It is stupid-easy to get really great recorded tones with it.
- Endless tweakability
- If you can come to grips with your sound on stage, the sound coming through the house is (again in my opinion) spectacular. In ear monitors negate the stage sound argument for me (in the instances where I'm running in-ears...not always an option)

It's definitely not replacing any of my amps, but a nice compliment to use with them. I'd like to try one of the matrix power amps and forgo an IR and go directly to a cab and see if it's better than the ASM.

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 20, 2018 9:59am 
Rock God

Thanks for sharing Scott.

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 20, 2018 10:40am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

It's definitely not replacing any of my amps, but a nice compliment to use with them. I'd like to try one of the matrix power amps and forgo an IR and go directly to a cab and see if it's better than the ASM.

Very cool! I cant imagine giging with monitors personally but obviously it's a well working set up. Ax8 to FRFR. I like wedges for pa related gear and guitar cabs for just that. All the great innovations of guitar tones / sounds and really good music was created with pure guitar/amp tone. Take 1978 for example. No computers and no DSP chips and some of the same most sought after guitar sounds/tones to this day! EVH!! Had a variac some say. Nothing was computerized or without tubes and definitely did not have the latest and greatest guitar DSP preamp.

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 20, 2018 2:45pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I don't own a modeler and this is a bit off topic but the Fractal FX8 is pure heaven. For those who don't know its just the effects from the axefx.
Really helps my tube amps shine

Fuck Guitar Center
Tracy amps AC1 50 watter (my brand)
Marshall jcm 800 2204
Marshall full stack 12 x 8

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 20, 2018 11:25pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Racerxrated wrote:
But in the room, A/B ing a Marshall preset with a real JMP 2204 it was no contest, not even close, on any level whatsoever. No feel, responsiveness was bleh and overall tone was not really close at all with the real thing.

Totally agreed. I've been saying this for awhile and I don't know what it is but Marshall/Marshall style amps seem to be the hardest to recreate with modeling. I don't know if it is the frequency response or the way notes pop or what. Maybe it has to do with the fact that a lot of our favorite tunes were done on Marshalls back in the day and our ears are more critical maybe?

Clips
My Blogs

"I don't let peoples opinion of me rent space in my head, its none of my bidness."- Charveldan

"Mr. Blades is a dickwad, can't play for shit, can't make an amp to save his life and has shit gear.
Dan is largely misunderstood, a great person, a good GP and has excellent gear. Other than that they are nothing alike."

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 22, 2018 10:41am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

A lot of the presets on the AxeFx are not great IMO. They take a fair amount of adjusting to sound good. That said, I am not using an FRFR rig atm. I've globally turned off the power amp sim and cab sim and am using a Matrix power amp and a real diezel, V30 loaded cab. With this combination, I experience plenty of "in the room" feel and response.

Having owned a C+ and currently own a 2ch recto, I can tell you the tones from the AxeFx are spot on for Mesas IMO. I can't really speak to Marshall type tones, as the only real Marshall I've ever owned was a JVM and that was a long time ago.

As of right now, my only struggle with the AxeFx is the significant learning curve that is required. At least that has been my expereince. I am anxious to try a Monitor/FRFR setup to see if the preset tones improve.

This old man is trying to adapt to technology, it's just taking awhile.

'15 Anderson ProAm - Black\White Bowling Ball
'09 Suhr Modern Custom - Silver Sparkle Drip

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 22, 2018 10:45am 
Rock God

as a former 4 time splawn owner, these aren’t really that close to my ear. the Quickrod one sounds closer, but the punch the real QR delivers doesn’t translate in Leon’s demo. love his Axe vids though, as he goes pretty in depth to help guys out.

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 22, 2018 10:56pm 
Immortal Rock God

Beandust wrote:
Racerxrated wrote:
peterc52 wrote:

I've owned the AX8 twice and tried to match my "Amp-in-the-room" sound with my Mesa Mark IV. I was doing this a LOT and going back and fourth but I started getting active in bands again playing live and loud and the first thing I did was ditch the Fractal stuff. Other guitar players I play with are using either Mesa or Marshall heads on 4x12's so it would be stupid to play through the PA at practice while the other guy uses a 4x12. And forget FRFR with a monitor....it gets crushed by a loud tube head on a 4x12....ALL IMHO.

I will say the AX8 through the Mark IV's return sounds...good. But it always lost to the amp by itself. I was tired of tweaking and tried everything to really match it.....it doesn't match it. Recorded is another story though. BUT at this point why blow $2500 on a Fractal just to play at home when $100 plug ins now are rivaling the Fractal stuff.

Leon Todd? He's a great YouTuber, spends a lot of time doing videos to help people but do you notice anything? He posts Fractal clips or Mark series, Rectos, IIC+, IV, and other amps and he sounds exactly the same on ALL of his clips.

http://soundcloud.com/danieldowning

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 23, 2018 5:09pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I agree but I also think that’s HIS tone
If you take any player with the same
Guitar same pickups and playing style
And run them through 2 or 3 higain amps
The sound will be more similar than not

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 23, 2018 7:23pm 
Rock God

I thought briefly about an AX* to run 4 cable/midi through my EVH combo, but I saw some stuff that there were noise issues using AX8 4 cable? Anyone use the HX effects? and is that worth the coin? I am totally fine with my Strymon El Cap, but wanted a Chorus anyway, just DON'T want anything to make my EVH sound too digital....kinda like TC stuff sounds.

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 23, 2018 10:40pm 
Supah Stah

I don't think that video really sounds like a Quick Rod. To much gain and saturation. Although the Fractal model is very accurate. I went back and forth from my amp through a Splawn 2x12 to the AX8 through a power amp into the same 2x12. I was able to dial in a preset on my AX8 that sounds pretty much identical to my amp.

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 24, 2018 1:08am 
Rock God Trainee

crwnedblasphemy wrote:
as a former 4 time splawn owner, these aren’t really that close to my ear. the Quickrod one sounds closer, but the punch the real QR delivers doesn’t translate in Leon’s demo. love his Axe vids though, as he goes pretty in depth to help guys out.

Yeah the AX8 I had never compared to my Splawn tones. Even the recorded ones. The Nitro/QR tones aren’t close in my opinion. Neither is the Fryette in there. That said, it is a great sounding unit and I want an Axe III.

Gear Demos from a Guy Who Loves Gear!!!

Check out "Dunky's N' Demos at:

https://www.facebook.com/dunkysndemos
https://www.youtube.com/c/JeremyVarao

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 24, 2018 3:13am 
Apprentice NOOB

Sounds so... synthetic....

FX SOUNDWORKS
Visit FX SOUNDWORKS!

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 24, 2018 7:23am 
Rock God

danyeo wrote:
Beandust wrote:
Racerxrated wrote:
peterc52 wrote:

I've owned the AX8 twice and tried to match my "Amp-in-the-room" sound with my Mesa Mark IV. I was doing this a LOT and going back and fourth but I started getting active in bands again playing live and loud and the first thing I did was ditch the Fractal stuff. Other guitar players I play with are using either Mesa or Marshall heads on 4x12's so it would be stupid to play through the PA at practice while the other guy uses a 4x12. And forget FRFR with a monitor....it gets crushed by a loud tube head on a 4x12....ALL IMHO.

I will say the AX8 through the Mark IV's return sounds...good. But it always lost to the amp by itself. I was tired of tweaking and tried everything to really match it.....it doesn't match it. Recorded is another story though. BUT at this point why blow $2500 on a Fractal just to play at home when $100 plug ins now are rivaling the Fractal stuff.

Leon Todd? He's a great YouTuber, spends a lot of time doing videos to help people but do you notice anything? He posts Fractal clips or Mark series, Rectos, IIC+, IV, and other amps and he sounds exactly the same on ALL of his clips.

Exactly. For someone to sell all his/her tube amps to afford an AXE III, big mistake IMO. For someone to come up with the cash and ADD to their collection, WIN.

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 24, 2018 8:41am 
Rock God Trainee

This is part of the reason I sold my Kemper. Great tones but after a while I found myself chasing through buying profiles. Nothing sounded quite how I hoped it would. Got a Two Notes Torpedo Studio and that sealed the Kemper’s fate. I vastly prefer my amps with it for recording. I do LOVE my Helix units though. The modeling is super satisfying and it is an incredibly useful tool that I get a ton of mileage out of. It’s killer for gigs where I have to run direct and didn’t cost a fortune. The AX8 sounded great but I did find like someone mentioned about Leon, I sound the same through everything. I don’t need almost 300 amp tones to sound like me.

But I tsill wanna try the AxeIII! Lol!

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 24, 2018 3:56pm 
Rock God

^^^yeah, your Crue Tone from their first album was damn good. Made me bust out the vinyl and jam to Take me to the top.

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 28, 2018 5:30pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I went to my buddie's house recently. He bought my 06 QR since i didn't need it after i got the Axe FX. He's a tube guy through and through. I helped him set up his TC Electronics G System with his QR and Marshall 4x12. After we got that setup, i plugged my Axe FX into the same cab with a clean solid state power amp. I will say that even though the Axe FX does everything i need it to, it DOES NOT have the same sound and feel of a roaring tube amp into the same cab. The basic EQ is pretty spot on, but it does miss the 3D feel of a tube amp. Could have been user error too.

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 28, 2018 6:13pm 
Rock God Trainee

crwnedblasphemy wrote:
^^^yeah, your Crue Tone from their first album was damn good. Made me bust out the vinyl and jam to Take me to the top.

Oh cool man! Thanks! Glad you dig it. I have a few more of these vids in the works.

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 29, 2018 4:38am 
Hack

I think with all these devices - Axe, Kemper, Helix - what most tube amp guys don't like is the fact that its not the sound of an amp in the room.

Take the Kemper for example. The sound of the mic through which you capture the profile is baked into the resultant profile.

That said, I definitely want a Kemper for live playing in cramped environment. I don't usually rock out in stadiums, so I can't really blast any of my amps most of the time.

Of course, if there is the option, I'd pick the real amp more often than not.

ESP Horizon II Custom Shop 5 String Bass Darkglass Microtubes 900 Hesu Wizard 1x12

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 30, 2018 3:14pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Tone Ranger wrote:
I went to my buddie's house recently. He bought my 06 QR since i didn't need it after i got the Axe FX. He's a tube guy through and through. I helped him set up his TC Electronics G System with his QR and Marshall 4x12. After we got that setup, i plugged my Axe FX into the same cab with a clean solid state power amp. I will say that even though the Axe FX does everything i need it to, it DOES NOT have the same sound and feel of a roaring tube amp into the same cab. The basic EQ is pretty spot on, but it does miss the 3D feel of a tube amp. Could have been user error too.

Agreed.

That's the thing too - it is all super subjective. Everyone's needs/situation is different. As much as I like the look, feel, smell and sound of tube amps I still want an Axe FX....

...and a Kemper
...and a Helix
...and a ____________

Clips
My Blogs