Soldano SLO 100’s...not one for sale anywhere new or used?

boyedav":a4iuwfep said:
SQUAREHEAD":a4iuwfep said:
Hey Red Plated, (Love that name) , I have no details, Bro, but it’s inevitable…
Would you build a company for 30 years and then just all of a sudden throw it away and close it down and not reap any benefit from that 30 years of hard work?
Mike is a very smart man, and he’s not just going to throw it all down a hole and lose all that he’s worked for…
My gut tells me there’s a whole lot more coming out with the Soldano logo.

This is what I think too. Mike has built a company, brand, and product line that are probably worth a lot. If Soldano completely ends with Mike's retirement, then the only value of that is its legacy, and that may be fine if he's saved all he'll ever need for retirement (and who knows that when you're in your early 60s?). I think Mike will sell the brand and product line (or portions of it) and Soldano will live on, but I bet Mike is really picky about "who" and "how" so that it continues to live up to his standards. I'm just guessing, but I think that's what's most likely.

I kind of honed in on the part where he states his name will live on, "...through the brand." Whether that means the brand will continue or just the name from the past is hard to say.

RedPlated":ncrxvvm2 said:
boyedav":ncrxvvm2 said:
SQUAREHEAD":ncrxvvm2 said:
Would you build a company for 30 years and then just all of a sudden throw it away and close it down and not reap any benefit from that 30 years of hard work?
Mike is a very smart man, and he’s not just going to throw it all down a hole and lose all that he’s worked for…

This is what I think too. Mike has built a company, brand, and product line that are probably worth a lot. If Soldano completely ends with Mike's retirement, then the only value of that is its legacy, and that may be fine if he's saved all he'll ever need for retirement (and who knows that when you're in your early 60s?). I think Mike will sell the brand and product line (or portions of it) and Soldano will live on, but I bet Mike is really picky about "who" and "how" so that it continues to live up to his standards. I'm just guessing, but I think that's what's most likely.

I kind of honed in on the part where he states his name will live on, "...through the brand." Whether that means the brand will continue or just the name from the past is hard to say.
If Mike did want the brand to continue there are some builders that would do it right....Friedman, Wizard, Rhodes, to name a few. It could be done.

Racerxrated":12kjyshs said:
RedPlated":12kjyshs said:
boyedav":12kjyshs said:
SQUAREHEAD":12kjyshs said:

If Mike did want the brand to continue there are some builders that would do it right....Friedman, Wizard, Rhodes, to name a few. It could be done.

I definitely think Friedman/ BAD would be at the top of the list.

RedPlated":22iryzz1 said:
I plugged into my SLO last night. Amazing amp. Makes it even harder to consider selling it...

I’ve been doing this.
It’s tempting to cash in when I can get twice what I paid for it.
The used prices they're going for is kinda crazy.
But when I plug in, a/b with my other amps...
I’m ok keeping it and not making the $.
It’s just a badass amp that I enjoy playing.
Records well. Sounds good every time.

Blues City has much Soldano.

Attachments

• soldano.PNG
    soldano.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,483
The Soldano with the serial# 1bmf is up for sale on the Facebook Soldano group. The owner is asking $5000.

RedPlated":23t2413g said:
Death by Uberschall":23t2413g said:
RedPlated":23t2413g said:
It's my understanding that Mesa can't source the original ginormous transformers from the IIC+. I've had a JP2C and own a factory IIC++. The JP2C is a great amp, but to me they are quite a bit different.

I do also have a red stripe Mark iii with the smaller, later transformer, and that thing cops a very convincing IIC+ tone. A VERY underrated amp. So who knows....
I've often wondered if the "can't source" really applies to transformers or if the manufacturers do this on purpose to add some "Mystique" to their designs. If you have all of the design specs and the materials list that was used, it should be duplicatable. Transformer companies wind them everyday, and if you follow the recipe, it should be repeatable. Think about it, if you have one go bad, you can always send it back to the manufacturer for a rewind,...... Add to that, many transformer companies will take one you have and backwards engineer it to duplicate if needed.

Yes but certain materials and/or processes may no longer be available. Just like the original wire used for PAF pickups is no longer available or produced. Without it, you can’t 100% replicate them. Another example are NOS tubes. The process isn’t repeatable because it used harmful non-compliant chemicals. CP tubes will never be the same because the process can no longer be the same.

And again, the argument that the SLO copy transformers aren’t the same as a DeYoung, even if they’re copied and reverse engineered. I’m sure Mesa had their transformers made for them. So who knows if they have the exact specs.

For example the cadmium in the LDRs in the Triaxis is now banned therefore Mesa discontinued the Triaxis since they can't get the LDRs anymore due to some international environmental ban on what's used in those LDRs.

Fun fact that the original IIC+ crunch berries amp transformer blew up, had to be replaced with a mkIV transformer. Now Metallica no longer use the amp, word on the street is Hetfield hates the new transformer tone.

Lots of truth to the parts cant be sourced and it does not sound the same anymore.

EXPcustom":3ncatb8f said:
For example the cadmium in the LDRs in the Triaxis is now banned therefore Mesa discontinued the Triaxis since they can't get the LDRs anymore due to some international environmental ban on what's used in those LDRs.

Fun fact that the original IIC+ crunch berries amp transformer blew up, had to be replaced with a mkIV transformer. Now Metallica no longer use the amp, word on the street is Hetfield hates the new transformer tone.

Lots of truth to the parts cant be sourced and it does not sound the same anymore.

Considering Hetfield has a net worth of $300M, I'm sure he could get a donor amp to transplant an original transformer if he really wanted to (or buy every IIC+ in existence).

robocoptick":3ncatb8f said:
looking to buy an slo for non hyped/speculative $$$$.

Gonna have to wait until an announcement is made and the market cools down.

There was one on Reverb in the upper $3k’s but it’s gone already. Doesn’t look like it lasted too long.

Back