High-Gain JCM800/2204 Build

DiezelMonster":3pp5c8ww said:
Man, I'd love to have a grunt 100 watt JCM 800 but with el34 and 6550. If you would entertain building one, I would buy it!

No plans on doing a 100-watter at this time. Just 50s. 100 watter would cost a lot more to build. We're talking Wizard pricing...

FourT6and2":2dxbmkq0 said:
DiezelMonster":2dxbmkq0 said:
Man, I'd love to have a grunt 100 watt JCM 800 but with el34 and 6550. If you would entertain building one, I would buy it!

No plans on doing a 100-watter at this time. Just 50s. 100 watter would cost a lot more to build. We're talking Wizard pricing...

????? :LOL: :LOL:

FourT6and2":h4ns6f4b said:
DiezelMonster":h4ns6f4b said:

LOL :LOL: :LOL:

img_8080_recovered_by_haftelm_dcshukc-fullview.jpg

img_8082_recovered_by_haftelm_dcshunj-fullview.jpg

psychodave":lavamkyg said:
Came out great. How does it sound in the room?

Sounds fantastic. I'm having a hard time recording it though. I've tried my phone, my laptop, and a DSLR. None of them really pick up how it sounds in the room. But I'm uploading a video as we speak. Listening on my laptop speakers, sounds like crap. But listening through my Bose QC25 headphones and it sounds great. So I have no clue how it will sound to anybody else haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFteiuIHi8M

Sounds like a Ferrari (or Porsche?) V12! One thing though. 4x12" cabs have very narrow high end dispersion -- something like only 2kHz at ~20d off-axis. The camera mic looks to be more like ~45d off-axis, so we might only be hearing up to ~1kHz. I'd like to hear it mic'd close to straight on a speaker with whatever camera you used in the video. ~6' away is good.

GCKelloch":2kgazbf4 said:
Sounds like a Ferrari (or Porsche?) V12! One thing though. 4x12" cabs have very narrow high end dispersion -- something like only 2kHz at ~20d off-axis. The camera mic looks to be more like ~45d off-axis, so we might only be hearing up to ~1kHz. I'd like to hear it mic'd close to straight on a speaker with whatever camera you used in the video. ~6' away is good.

I can try that, but I think it would be too bright that way. My camera is actually fairly far away (12 feet?) and almost right on axis. But it has a long lens so it looks like it's off to the side maybe.

The recording is a little bassy/resonant, but I can get the gist of it. Sounds good, has a much better growl, and grit than the chupacabra's have IMO

12' away is fine, but closer would reduce room coloration. Closer than ~6' might overload the camera mic. I figure a maximum ~130dB peak at ~2.4kHz from ~6' pointed directly at one of the G12M-25 (that's without any efficiency loss). Modern MEMS mics in cell phones can handle 130dB or so, so it should be OK depending on the cell phone. Otherwise, 12' is fine.

Consider that it's not uncommon to mic a Greenback dead center with an SM57, and the SM57 has a 6dB lift at 3-6kHz. MEMS mics are entirely flat and uncolored from 20Hz~20kHz. It might sound great right on-axis.

FourT6and2":1nwkgev6 said:
psychodave":1nwkgev6 said:
Came out great. How does it sound in the room?

Sounds fantastic. I'm having a hard time recording it though. I've tried my phone, my laptop, and a DSLR. None of them really pick up how it sounds in the room. But I'm uploading a video as we speak. Listening on my laptop speakers, sounds like crap. But listening through my Bose QC25 headphones and it sounds great. So I have no clue how it will sound to anybody else haha.

Here you go.

Mayones Duvell Elite MBC with Seymour Duncan Nazgul
Bogner 4x12 with G12M-25 Greenbacks (batting/insulation removed)

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zksgyAYSu-A&t=1s

Sounds tight and modern. I like it.

Will probably loosen up a little more with a few more hours on it.

Back