High-Gain JCM800/2204 Build

Pseudo Drew Peterson":tticjbhf said:
The ceritone literally sounds exactly the same as this new Jose build.

Well, if you spent as much time reading as trolling the previous posts you would know that his ceriatone is not stock it is modded and as he stated it is very close to what Fortin marketed as a new design when in reality it's a thirty-year-old design. so there's literally only a few component differences between this amp and the other amp which shows there is no magic with the meshuggah that is neither designed by nor built by Mike Fortin. The main difference between the meshuggah and the original Jose design is that his amps use a depth control versus the original and the meshuggah. Which makes the meshuggah little bit more bright like the original Jose.

scottosan":3m4zg2ml said:
Pseudo Drew Peterson":3m4zg2ml said:

Well, if you spent as much time reading as trolling the previous posts you would know that his ceriatone is not stock it is modded and as he stated it is very close to what Fortin marketed as a new design when in reality it's a thirty-year-old design. so there's literally only a few component differences between this amp and the other amp which shows there is no magic with the meshuggah that is neither designed by nor built by Mike Fortin. The main difference between the meshuggah and the original Jose design is that his amps use a depth control versus the original and the meshuggah. Which makes the meshuggah little bit more bright like the original Jose.

:LOL: :LOL:

Pseudo Drew Peterson":3ril1qkn said:
scottosan":3ril1qkn said:
Pseudo Drew Peterson":3ril1qkn said:

Sometimes laughter is the best medicine... when the truth stings. :D

FourT6and2":1cmouwh6 said:
marcus262":1cmouwh6 said:
sounds great. :)

How would you compare the gain and mids, with your Chupa and Superlead?

More aggressive and less grainy/fizzy than the Chupa. Tighter low end, but not as "deep". More focused. A little brighter in the mids as well, without being harsh or brighter overall. Hard to describe. I think if you compare that last clip to the the clip of my Chupa you'll hear how the Chupa sounds scooped and fizzy in comparison.

Thanks for checking it out.

It sound to me that Chupa has more lower mids (600-1500hz), kinda sounds fuller.
Maybe it is because of a different angle while recording.
Ceriatone sounds more fizzy and compressed, I can hear that.

psychodave":3j5bxdi9 said:
Pseudo Drew Peterson":3j5bxdi9 said:
scottosan":3j5bxdi9 said:
Pseudo Drew Peterson":3j5bxdi9 said:

Sometimes laughter is the best medicine... when the truth stings. :D

Or it’s just plain funny. Why do the hobby amp builders need to flock in here and “convince” us simple folks. I’ll spend my money where I want sirs. I don’t need to build me some ceriatone piece of crap to know I am just as good as the real builders.

Or, maybe, just appreciate the efforts of others. FourT6and2 is no rookie and his builds not only sound good, but are clean, tight and the very definition of professional. so, for whatever it's worth from me, :thumbsup:

Pseudo Drew Peterson":krfol5w3 said:
Or it’s just plain funny. Why do the hobby amp builders need to flock in here and “convince” us simple folks. I’ll spend my money where I want sirs. I don’t need to build me some ceriatone piece of crap to know I am just as good as the real builders.

So..... spend your money on where you wan't. Nobody here cares how you spend your money, dumb ass. :LOL: :LOL:

marcus262":3fwhjkyt said:
FourT6and2":3fwhjkyt said:
marcus262":3fwhjkyt said:
sounds great. :)

How would you compare the gain and mids, with your Chupa and Superlead?

More aggressive and less grainy/fizzy than the Chupa. Tighter low end, but not as "deep". More focused. A little brighter in the mids as well, without being harsh or brighter overall. Hard to describe. I think if you compare that last clip to the the clip of my Chupa you'll hear how the Chupa sounds scooped and fizzy in comparison.

Thanks for checking it out.

It sound to me that Chupa has more lower mids (600-1500hz), kinda sounds fuller.
Maybe it is because of a different angle while recording.
Ceriatone sounds more fizzy and compressed, I can hear that.

Well a few things:

1. I'm using different speakers in each clip. G12M-25 with the Chupa and G12H-75 with the "Atomiggah" :LOL: :LOL:
2. Chupa's voltages are REALLY low. Ceriatone's version runs like 95v on V1a. So that will cause a lot of fizz and grain
3. Chupa has no interstage B+ dropper between phase inverter and cathode follower

So with higher voltages and separation of the filtering between the PI and CF, this other amp is tighter and more clear and not as fizzy. The biggest difference is the feel. The amp just feels better to play than the Chupa. Oh, Chupa also has 47K slope vs. Marshall's 33K, so that's why it sounds like it has more low mids. Since the tone stack's center frequency is shifted down like a Soldano's. And also different depth cap values 4700pF vs 2200pF. So the Atomiggah's depth control operates higher up.

Also the Meshuggah amp doesn't have a depth circuit. Probably because it's meant for 7/8 string players who downtune and run boosts. I play six strings with no boosts, so I added one and changed the NFB a bit so the amp isn't as bright.

CrazyNutz":3fv0szd9 said:
Pseudo Drew Peterson":3fv0szd9 said:

So..... spend your money on where you wan't. Nobody here cares how you spend your money, dumb ass. :LOL: :LOL:

:aww: maybe I’ll put a 68k resistor in parallel with a 47uF flux capacitor next to my tone stack. What’s the number for mouser again? :student:

Pseudo Drew Peterson":q54ljty4 said:
CrazyNutz":q54ljty4 said:
Pseudo Drew Peterson":q54ljty4 said:

:aww: maybe I’ll put a 68k resistor in parallel with a 47uF flux capacitor next to my tone stack. What’s the number for mouser again? :student:

That will only work if you play mixolydian scale in the key of 88mph.

Pseudo Drew Peterson":xmmfsgj2 said:
CrazyNutz":xmmfsgj2 said:

Flux capacitors are out of stock at Mouser. Lead time of 400,000,000,000 weeks

where did you get those plugs for the holes in the front of the chassis ? the lack of a logo on front, and the simple look really make for a clean build

MYLILSS":16fmsail said:
where did you get those plugs for the holes in the front of the chassis ? the lack of a logo on front, and the simple look really make for a clean build

Mouser.
I wanted to have a custom panel made to cover the unused holes. But more trouble than it's worth.

FourT6and2":2dxz8hqx said:
MYLILSS":2dxz8hqx said:

Mouser.
I wanted to have a custom panel made to cover the unused holes. But more trouble than it's worth.
You can also get them at Lowes or Home Depot in the specialty section that had all of the obscure washers, spacers, etc....

scottosan":3sgbeblh said:
FourT6and2":3sgbeblh said:
MYLILSS":3sgbeblh said:

Mouser.
You can also get them at Lowes or Home Depot in the specialty section that had all of the obscure washers, spacers, etc....

awesome, thanks guys ! I may snag a chupa in the near future, but I don't like the mini toggles out front. if I get one I am going to find the configuration I like, then just hardwire everything that way, and get rid of those mini toggles.

Hey Mike what are those white stick on plastic plates that you zip tie the input jack shielded shielded cable to? I've been looking for them at the hardware store.

Back