High-Gain JCM800/2204 Build

harddriver":14znxlf6 said:
Hey Mike what are those white stick on plastic plates that you zip tie the input jack shielded shielded cable to? I've been looking for them at the hardware store.

I forgot where I got those, but I need more of 'em lol. I think I just did a google search for cable tie mounting pad. The ones I use are 1/2" x 1/2".
They're really useful. I've got a few under the board as well, holding various things in place.

harddriver":3djatc8t said:
Hey Mike what are those white stick on plastic plates that you zip tie the input jack shielded shielded cable to? I've been looking for them at the hardware store.

Home depot electrical section, should be right there where the zip ties are. They have black, not sure about white.

Wow! Beautiful job Mike!
I wish I could do something like that.
I envy you bro, it sounds fantastic too,
Incredible…

CrazyNutz":1pq4nnb6 said:
harddriver":1pq4nnb6 said:

Home depot electrical section, should be right there where the zip ties are. They have black, not sure about white.

Thank you sir!

FourT6and2":3igx5nq6 said:
LPMojoGL":3igx5nq6 said:
Happy Anniversary to this kick ass build.
I want an amp that sounds like that!

Thanks! :)
I can always sell this one and/or build another if you're serious.

Tempting, but I probably can't afford it.

LPMojoGL":3b52b2pf said:
Happy Anniversary to this kick ass build.
I want an amp that sounds like that!

I have played his amps, they are gnarly. as good as anything out there.

So I've had this amp in the closet for a while now while I've been playing a Hiwatt Super-Hi 50 and a new Fortin Cali. The Hiwatt is gone. But the Cali is still here and I do like it a lot just for the 4 gain stages mode. I plugged into this amp yesterday for the first time in months and months and you know what... it still freakin' rips. I think I like it more than the Fortin Cali. Although the diode clipping does have a certain character to it and it's either your taste or it isn't. The Cali is awesome too. But it's a bit too complicated sometimes with all the switches and push/pulls. They all interact with each other and the sound of the amp changes so much as you turn the volume up. I've come to appreciate how simple this build is and how the tone of the amp really doesn't change at all with volume. It's super consistent. And it has an amazing feel. You can really feel the amp as you dig into the strings. There's no sag. It's just super tight. Yet you can somehow feel the mid-range and low-end kind of react to your picking hand. I don't know how/why. It just is. Maybe the iron I used?

FourT6and2":29akuoyu said:
So I've had this amp in the closet for a while now while I've been playing a Hiwatt Super-Hi 50 and a new Fortin Cali. The Hiwatt is gone. But the Cali is still here and I do like it a lot just for the 4 gain stages mode. I plugged into this amp yesterday for the first time in months and months and you know what... it still freakin' rips. I think I like it more than the Fortin Cali. Although the diode clipping does have a certain character to it and it's either your taste or it isn't. The Cali is awesome too. But it's a bit too complicated sometimes with all the switches and push/pulls. They all interact with each other and the sound of the amp changes so much as you turn the volume up. I've come to appreciate how simple this build is and how the tone of the amp really doesn't change at all with volume. It's super consistent. And it has an amazing feel. You can really feel the amp as you dig into the strings. There's no sag. It's just super tight. Yet you can somehow feel the mid-range and low-end kind of react to your picking hand. I don't know how/why. It just is. Maybe the iron I used?

I know you returned yours, but I still love my Meshuggah, I could see the tweaks you added making a real difference though. Did you prefer the Cali over the Super-Hi voicing wise? Or just the versatility of it

DeathbyButterslax":1zil0cke said:
FourT6and2":1zil0cke said:

I know you returned yours, but I still love my Meshuggah, I could see the tweaks you added making a real difference though. Did you prefer the Cali over the Super-Hi voicing wise? Or just the versatility of it

I like the Cali slightly more than the Super-Hi. Although the Cali is too versatile for me in some ways lol. Too many different combinations of tones with all the switches. I'd like to build a single-channel version. Might play around with that at some point. The Evil Pumpkin does look interesting as well, but... maybe too much overlap with these other amps.

Hey man, any chance you could explain how the 4 gain stages thing works in the Cali with only 3 x 12ax7's?
I've never seen this clearly laid out by anyone yet.
Not asking for a detailed scheme or anything, just an operational overview so to speak.
I know you know what's going on under the hood.....can ya spill the beans? :D :LOL: :LOL:

fusedbrain":qvkooyms said:
Hey man, any chance you could explain how the 4 gain stages thing works in the Cali with only 3 x 12ax7's?
I've never seen this clearly laid out by anyone yet.
Not asking for a detailed scheme or anything, just an operational overview so to speak.
I know you know what's going on under the hood.....can ya spill the beans? :D :LOL: :LOL:

You drive the tone stack with V2b's plate instead of its cathode, freeing up the cathode for the 4th gain stage.

As an example, you can check out the Aldrich schematic on SLO Clone Forum.

Back