High-Gain JCM800/2204 Build

FourT6and2

Here's another one, this time with variable mid shift, 6-way clipping selector for the Jose master volume, variable "feel" control for the first gain stage, and a couple other voicing and layout tweaks my others didn't have. But otherwise, typical Cameron-inspired high-gain Jose. Enjoy!

Custom Merren iron
Metro/Heyboer choke
ARS filter caps
Will use a mix of resistors (Vishay/Dale, PRP, Beyschlag)
Will use mostly magical NOS Mullard/Philips mustards for extra spandex points + a few other random caps I've got laying around for variety

1_by_haftelm-dcnvxl7.jpg

3_by_haftelm-dcnvxk9.jpg

2_by_haftelm-dcnvxkr.jpg

Sounds like a cool build. Looks like fun too.

Where are you getting the parts from? I’m thinking about making something for fun.

As a modded Marshall n00b, is that clipping selector you mention similar to the voicing switch Lee Jackson used to use on his amps?

psychodave":3kqecgfe said:

Where are you getting the parts from? I’m thinking about making something for fun.

Chassis and turret board are Ceriatone. All the new parts I source from Mouser. All the NOS parts I just Google search until I find what I'm looking for from various places.

dirtyfunkg":1q48b77u said:
As a modded Marshall n00b, is that clipping selector you mention similar to the voicing switch Lee Jackson used to use on his amps?

No idea. What amps are you talking about? It's just a rotary switch with a bunch of zeners on it.

FourT6and2":3magw8io said:
psychodave":3magw8io said:

Chassis and turret board are Ceriatone. All the new parts I source from Mouser. All the NOS parts I just Google search until I find what I'm looking for from various places.

Cool. Thx.

I have original resistors and mustards to make a few amps, I just need the chassis and circuit boards.

psychodave":i76xywpn said:
FourT6and2":i76xywpn said:
psychodave":i76xywpn said:

Cool. Thx.

I have original resistors and mustards to make a few amps, I just need the chassis and circuit boards.

I use the HRP turret board from Ceriatone because they're already set up for the typical modded Marshall layout without forcing a lot of components to share space on the board. I prefer each part to have its own turret and I can join things as needed with bus wire versus trying to stuff 3 or 4 things into one turret.

Chassis are whatever. If Valvestorm made a 50-watt project chassis with a cutout for a laydown PT, I'd go with that.

Looks great, can't wait to hear what it sounds like. :)

Also, wanted to ask you what do you think of the whole silver mica vs ceramic capacitors for treble peaking circuit and tone stack.
In my experience with testing these on superlead circuit it seems that ceramic (some types, they all have different response) can add some high mid frequencies but also lose low mids and definition... (mica sounds fuller)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

marcus262":2cx26oc9 said:
Looks great, can't wait to hear what it sounds like. :)

Also, wanted to ask you what do you think of the whole silver mica vs ceramic capacitors for treble peaking circuit and tone stack.
In my experience with testing these on superlead circuit it seems that ceramic (some types, they all have different response) can add some high mid frequencies but also lose low mids and definition... (mica sounds fuller)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

It's hard to say with any certainty. But yeah, MAYBE ceramic disks sound brighter and micas a little more full/balanced. But it'd be splitting hairs. I tend to prefer silver micas as long as you use high quality ones.

Dude, that is really nice. A bunch of us can do clean builds, but your are always next level clean. The heaters look killer. The ground buss is sweet. Been wanting to try it that way for a long time but keep doing it Larry style.

One thing that bugs me is the buss wire from the speaker switch to jack. It will probably never short but the fact that it has potential to...

What brand are those gray octal sockets?

:thumbsup:

PatF":39yl2b54 said:
Dude, that is really nice. A bunch of us can do clean builds, but your are always next level clean. The heaters look killer. The ground buss is sweet. Been wanting to try it that way for a long time but keep doing it Larry style.

One thing that bugs me is the buss wire from the speaker switch to jack. It will probably never short but the fact that it has potential to...

Thanks for the kind words :)

Never say never, but I'm not too concerned with the output bus bar shorting.

Tube sockets are Belton.

FourT6and2":hibe45e3 said:
PatF":hibe45e3 said:

Thanks for the kind words :)

Never say never, but I'm not too concerned with the output bus bar shorting.

Tube sockets are Belton.

Yeah I'd say for it to short something heavy enough to bend the wire needs to have broken loose inside the amp to bend it... and if that happens you have bigger problems anyways...

Back