Dimarzio Chopper T Squealing

messenger

i put together a tele partscaster and the Dimarzio Chopper T bridge pickup is squealing. My Les Paul Studio with hot pickups doesn’t squeal with my amp set up. The neck pickup (fender twisted tele) doesn’t squeal. Suggestions? It has a Gotoh modern bridge which is grounded. I tried holding the pickup and strings to see if it was something vibrating but didn’t help. If I back off the guitar volume a bit it stops. And this is at fairly loud band volume.

I found this is an inherent quality when putting a relatively high output aftermarket pickup in a Tele bridge. The pickup is surrounded by a metal plate after all...

D-Rock":2dpryuj5 said:
I found this is an inherent quality when putting a relatively high output aftermarket pickup in a Tele bridge. The pickup is surrounded by a metal plate after all...

Possibly but I had a Dimarzio Tone Zone T in a Tele years ago and had none of the squealing issues the OP is having

Maybe try using a hair dryer or heat gun to re-melt the wax in the pickup? I had the same issue with a vintage JB and that solved the squeal. Make sure you don't apply too long, like a minute or less.

hammered":1d917lbd said:
D-Rock":1d917lbd said:

Possibly but I had a Dimarzio Tone Zone T in a Tele years ago and had none of the squealing issues the OP is having
Yeah it's likely that it's more susceptible than anything and not a sure thing. Happened with my Hot Rail T bridge and my Chopper T bridge to a lesser extent.

Dimarzio said I can send it back for repair but I want to make sure it’s not something else

Just to update this it turned out to be from the bridge not sitting completely flush with the body from some shielding tape. So once I removed that the squealing is gone and it’s sounds awesome.

Good catch, glad you figured it out! Definitely beats having to tear it out and send it back to Dimarzio. :)

Just to clarify, did the shielding tape come that way from the factory?

Kevin11":cho115y5 said:
Good catch, glad you figured it out! Definitely beats having to tear it out and send it back to Dimarzio. :)

Just to clarify, did the shielding tape come that way from the factory?

No. Parts guitar. I put on a Gotoh Modern Tele bridge and shielded the cavity before I put it together. Didn’t think having it over the edge would cause issues. Figured it’d help with grounding the bridge (a did also have a ground wire). But removing it from around the edge worked.

messenger":vbwylk6n said:
No. Parts guitar. I put on a Gotoh Modern Tele bridge and shielded the cavity before I put it together. Didn’t think having it over the edge would cause issues. Figured it’d help with grounding the bridge (a did also have a ground wire). But removing it from around the edge worked.

Geez, you said "parts guitar" in your op. My bad. :doh:

Back