At Metallica right now....(AXE FX)

RaceU4her":23buwlo3 said:
shredhead7":23buwlo3 said:
My guess is that it's the venue.

Outdoor gigs on a dry night are supposed to sound the best according to their guy

Yep. Nice and crisp.

I saw Metallica live at the Soundwave Festival in Perth over five years ago. It was at the show grounds. They played I think nearly ALL of Kill 'em All! If not the whole album. I was about halfway back from the stage in the crowd but the air was so clear, James could hear what the bloke next to me said and repeated him! (Something like "fuck knows!") The guitar sounds were fantastic, really crunchy and chuggy. Unlike what has been heard lately as well as the soggy sounds since the mid 2000s.

exo-metal":1mral6t8 said:
Nothing can touch the blitzkrieg

I LOVE that guitar sound so damn much! :rock: :rock:

I know it was a Marshall and possibly a Tubescreamer in front but I am not completely sure. Some sources say it was the same gear as Kill 'em All but it was recorded in November 1984, well after that gear was stolen. It also sounds different to the Ride the Lightning guitar sound.

Fordman65":2dkxm9cy said:
They like this upper mid crunch that just doesn't sit right to my ears. This coming from fanboy #1

I don't even hear it as a "crunch". It's like a mucky "blatty" broad upper mid sound that doesn't even seem to distort.
Maybe a kind of brittleness, but none of that searing sizzling crunch and definitely no balls or nuts. More like squashed balls.
Something wrong with the Presence.

Maybe they blend that particular sound too high in the mix amongst the other amps? So any "crunch" gets subdued?
Or how they mic the amps?

The thing is that if you get the balance and focus right, a solid punchy less-distorted sound can really add a lot of impact and "bark" to a more highly distorted guitar sound. That is what makes it sound big and ballsy, and punch through. Doesn't just cut through, it punches.

Tone Monster":c324imqp said:
nevusofota":c324imqp said:
Tone Monster":c324imqp said:
glip22":c324imqp said:
I'm going end of month. The venue is outstanding for live tone so we will see. The venue makes a huge difference

No doubt. I was outside at austin City Limits. So....
Most quality sound guys prefer outdoor venues because they aren’t fighting structural reverb and delays. Gives them more control.

I had that exact thought at the concert. No reflections to deal with. It was boomy mush.

Gosh...

I actually didn't like the sound from Stern. It started off fine with James by himself, but then the palm mutes seemed to mush out and get lost in the mix. I like that punchy, palm mute thump that you can hear...and feel. Now I know it's a recorded radio show so maybe that's the issue.

I saw them back in early 2009 at the Allstate Arena here in Chicago and my recollection is that they sounded really good. Not like what people are describing or what I heard on that Stern clip.

Tone Monster":34lwt3it said:
squank":34lwt3it said:
BYTOR":34lwt3it said:
There has been tons of complaints about Metallica’s live tone for years now. Long before they ever used the Axe FX.
skoora":34lwt3it said:
Even though I prefer amps I doubt it’s the Axe and more the overall tonal/EQ choices of James, Kirk their techs and FOH. I remember a few vids from when I believe a VH4 was the primary and the sound was horrendous. A much lighter, less saturated tone but warm with no sharp attack.

That Stern video was great.
This.

I can't believe we still have tone trolls who think that Axe-FX or Kempers are the cause of bad live tone. Anyone who has run large venue live sound or done studio recording knows the culprit for bad tone almost always lies somewhere after the amp.

Good goddamn. Does anyone here understand logic or not live with their mother? I never said the AXE was to blame. I own a Kemper and am leaning towards buying a AXE III. I simply said Metallica has a very shitty tone with the AXE II. Tons of variations including venue and artists taste. FUCK! Like a bunch of SJWs. I’m sure as fuck not trolling. Don’t have the energy for that lol.

Cool your jets, spanky. It's a broader comment on a popular, silly sentiment on RT.

I just saw them in Milwaukee the other night. While they still put on a great show, I'll agree the guitar sounds coming from the Axe FX were really thin/mushy and the leads were ear piercing (and not in a good way).

What's up with the single-coilish vibe to their tone? I saw them in 93 and they sounded crushing.

Maybe they're trying to cover up Lars drumming with those bass frequencies. You know, covering up the bass kick going by getting the amps to sound like they're farting out with each palm mute.

I just saw Metallica in Pittsburgh Thursday night. Mctallica1, I know you were there too man and curious about your thoughts.

So the band started with "Hardwired". Right off the bat, I was cringing because it sounded like I was sitting in lawn seats at an outside show and not connected. It was like watching a band play at a separate venue. It was muddy and could barely hear it. I was like "oh crap, this is going to be a bad show". By the next song, the sound started to improve thankfully.

The rest of the show was off and on depending on the song. I think alot of it was them changing which mic James was singing out of so would be easy to hear and hard to hear off and on. Songs like "Sad But True", "Memory Remains", and "Master of Puppets" kicked ass but then some songs I wouldn't be able to hear the vocals, etc.

It was a great show but just a bit on and off. Still kicked ass!

I had the same experience. Saw them last summer in Denver at Mile High Stadium. Best live sound I'd heard from them in all the shows I've seen. Saw them last month in ND and Hardwired as usual was the opener. As soon as they hit those first few notes, it was a muddy disaster. Hard to hear James singing, all the instruments were muffled, it wasnt pretty. By the third song it seemed like all the issues were sorted out but I think stadium vs arena definitely makes a big difference in sound clarity. Seemed like all the sounds at the open air venue were much more clear, denied and higher definition.

Avi8r2005":2ck1mufy said:
I had the same experience. Saw them last summer in Denver at Mile High Stadium. Best live sound I'd heard from them in all the shows I've seen. Saw them last month in ND and Hardwired as usual was the opener. As soon as they hit those first few notes, it was a muddy disaster. Hard to hear James singing, all the instruments were muffled, it wasnt pretty. By the third song it seemed like all the issues were sorted out but I think stadium vs arena definitely makes a big difference in sound clarity. Seemed like all the sounds at the open air venue were much more clear, denied and higher definition.

Crazy! You would think a soundcheck would make this apparent but I guess not. If it was just one thing, I'd understand. But muddy guitars, barely audible drums, barely audible vocals, etc. Just was a bit of everything. I've been to a lot of shows in my life and the opening song is what you wait for. Just didn't have that impact.

With that said, Metallica are the ultimate road dogs and bring it. One awesome thing before the show is the DJ played Slayer's "Reign In Blood" and the place went completely insane! :) It was like this bonding between the metalheads. I loved it!!!

Despite the initial sound shortcomings, yeah they always bring it. Kirk was having a very off night, the famous Paul Green LP was not working for the intro solo on Welcome Hime, had everybody in the bad all fucked up waiting for the solo to start, was kind of funny. But it also showed theres no smoke and mirrors and mistake happen and they adapt and overcome, which is how they've always been. Best part was this was the first Metallica show I finally talked my wife into after 25 years of me .asking her listen to them. I'd look over at her and she'd be singing along to songs I didnt know she knew. Best moments ever.

I saw them in Pittsburgh on Thursday.

First, I’ve got to say, I am EXTREMELY impressed that a bunch of guys their age pull off 2 1/2 hours of such a high energy show.

James’ voice was as good as I’ve heard him in years. Overall, from a fan perspective, they still put on a GREAT show.

I was on the floor, about 6 people back from the stage and had a great time.

The guitar tone, similar to the last few times I’ve seen them, wasn’t what I consider great. Kirks lead tone was actually pretty solid and both guitars sounded good for single note stuff and chords. Palm mutes, on the other hand :aww: They sounded squashed to me. Not the big powerful sound I want to hear.

Bottom line is that it was a fantastic show, but the thrash tone nerd in me wants the crushing tone back.

T

Attachments

• F6EE5CFB-86AF-47C2-AE7A-2ADCD328B0AB.jpeg
    F6EE5CFB-86AF-47C2-AE7A-2ADCD328B0AB.jpeg
    378.6 KB · Views: 1,573
mctallica1":23dqt386 said:
I saw them in Pittsburgh on Thursday.

First, I’ve got to say, I am EXTREMELY impressed that a bunch of guys their age pull off 2 1/2 hours of such a high energy show.

James’ voice was as good as I’ve heard him in years. Overall, from a fan perspective, they still put on a GREAT show.

I was on the floor, about 6 people back from the stage and had a great time.

The guitar tone, similar to the last few times I’ve seen them, wasn’t what I consider great. Kirks lead tone was actually pretty solid and both guitars sounded good for single note stuff and chords. Palm mutes, on the other hand :aww: They sounded squashed to me. Not the big powerful sound I want to hear.

Bottom line is that it was a fantastic show, but the thrash tone nerd in me wants the crushing tone back.

T

Great view!! I was up in section 108. Like I mentioned above, from where I was sitting certain songs sounded better than others. "Hardwired" sounded horrible up in the section I was in and I was actually panicking because if the whole show was going to sound like that, I wouldn't have lasted five songs. Thankfully, they fixed it. LOL

I thought the song selection was really good. I've been a Metallica fan since 86' so obviously a few favorites I would have liked to have heard. I would have loved to have heard "Blackened", "Four Horsemen", and "Fight Fire with Fire" but they can't do every great song. My favorites of the night were "Moth Into Flame", "Master of Puppets", and "Sad But True".

Always great to see Metallica!

I went last night to State college. The sound was amazing from the beginning. They sounded as good as ever. Axe fx or amps, makes no difference.

It's good to keep in mind that the ears take a bit to adjust to the mix. It is hard to tell whether the mix is changing or your ears are adjusting. Also, the sound will vary wildly depending on where you are siting or standing. I usually like to be on the floor and move around until I find the sweet spot. The sweet spot is usually in from of the mixing board. Luckily for Metallica fans, in arena shows you can go the opposite side of the floor and stand in the area that mirrors where the mixing board would be on the other side. If you hear that, I very much doubt that this thread would exist.

Avi8r2005":dk7qku35 said:
Despite the initial sound shortcomings, yeah they always bring it. Kirk was having a very off night, the famous Paul Green LP was not working for the intro solo on Welcome Hime, had everybody in the bad all fucked up waiting for the solo to start, was kind of funny. But it also showed theres no smoke and mirrors and mistake happen and they adapt and overcome, which is how they've always been. Best part was this was the first Metallica show I finally talked my wife into after 25 years of me .asking her listen to them. I'd look over at her and she'd be singing along to songs I didnt know she knew. Best moments ever.

As opposed to the regular "off night" that he has had every night for the last 20 years? ;)

Back