Guess the amp... Revealed

Racerxrated":6xvap381 said:
paulyc":6xvap381 said:
psychodave":6xvap381 said:
PeteLaramee":6xvap381 said:
Cool. Is that the 80's solid state amp that Lynch used?

Lynch, Dime Bag, Criss Oliva... were the big names.
Criss Oliva used a Randall ??? Tell me more Dave ! What else did he use ?
I always thought Oliva used a massive power amp, or even a Bass amp with 2 SD1s stacked for his rig?

I think you are right on that one.. he used a clean tube amp (maybe not even) and definitely two stacked SD-1's. Surprising but his tone was always great so what do the rest of us know

Dave, those Boogie cabs are 8 ohms, correct ? So you're using 2 cabs to bring the ohm load down to 4, right ?

I'd love to hear this thing with a parametric EQ in front of it, and then with the massive W/D/W setup...damn !

Being a Lynch fanboi I've always had a soft spot for these things. I owned one back in the day that sounded like ass (not like this one), the one I have now sounds more or less like this one (good), great for the 200 I spent on it. The Breaking the Chains tour was this amp, as was Tooth and Nail album and tour. I believe Lynch's tone is this amp, a Furman parametric EQ in front of it and some delay from a PCM 41 in the loop on out to 4x12 Randall cabs with Celestion 65s in them (probably 8 ohm versions so 2 cabs would make the ohm load 4 ohms). More than likely Paris Is Burning from Breaking the Chains was this setup. I love the tone on that live solo before Paris is Burning...always have.

The ohm load is important as we're dealing with SS amps here, the amp looses volume and guts into a typical 16 ohm cab, especially if you use the pull treble feature, which is another reason for a delay in the loop, you can set the master where you think it sounds/feels best and then adjust the overall volume with the output on whatever is in the loop. PCM 41 works great for this (a la Joe Holmes Jose Marshall)

paulyc":1eq6aynk said:
Dave, those Boogie cabs are 8 ohms, correct ? So you're using 2 cabs to bring the ohm load down to 4, right ?

I'd love to hear this thing with a parametric EQ in front of it, and then with the massive W/D/W setup...damn !

Yes, the Boogie cabs are 8ohms a piece bringing it to 4 ohms.

I don’t own a PEQ anymore.

Through theW/D/W it sounds killer. I have a Mesa Boogie Strategy 400 for my wet cabs.

For this clip I wanted to keep it simple. I was even too lazy to set up the iPhone camera...I placed it face down and hit record.

exo-metal":2c0afu2w said:
Dave, you have thrown the big wrench on this one. This is screwing with people's emotions lmao.

Hence why I posted the clip. Why spend big money on an amp when this $300 amp will sound just as good. :D

That sounds great. But I think you just drove the market price up. I'm not seeing any for under $500.

exo-metal":1kyvlbwn said:
Sound but what about "feel"...

It’s feels incredible as well. That clip I made I was cold, no warm up. I picked up the guitar and hit record on the iPhone. Of course the SD-1 helps a lot. Adds like 5 years of playing time :LOL: :LOL:

There is a shit ton of gain in that clip. I just set it to where I liked it and went for it.

Webb":t9hc49yn said:
That sounds great. But I think you just drove the market price up. I'm not seeing any for under $500.
I just bought a second one for 300 with the original footswitch (which my first one didn't have).

paulyc":2621qfgl said:
Webb":2621qfgl said:
I just bought a second one for 300 with the original footswitch (which my first one didn't have).

I don’t even have a footswitch. I had to turn the volume and gain to zero on the other channel.

Yes, there’s a thread on HC I think with a schematic and part #s. The 6 pin connector is a Mouser supplied part.

There’s a different thread on HC where a guy is talking about how he bought an RG 100 ES brand new for $949 and it didn’t even come with the footswitch, he had to buy it “extra” for another $80.

The messed up thing is that the footswitch doesn’t even turn the Reverb on and off...all it does is change channels or allow you to run both channels at the same time. The Reverb has it’s own 1/4” jack for on off. :doh:

My friend has an RG80ES. Last time we played as a band I had a Marshall 6100LM. His tone was bigger but more congested. Both boosted with Boss overdrives and through V30's 412s. Our drummer says no matter his amp, his tone is harsh and more fatiguing than mine. He always sounds like a dump truck LOL.

Last year I sat down and compared it to the amps I had Marshall VS100H, Peavey Special (silver stripe Transtube) and Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier solo.

Just plugging in with an A/B switch, the recto sounds closest to the rg. I feel the Peavey sounded the best for my taste. I like a clearer and tighter tone.

JSutter":29kpl5c1 said:
My friend has an RG80ES. Last time we played as a band I had a Marshall 6100LM. His tone was bigger but more congested. Both boosted with Boss overdrives and through V30's 412s. Our drummer says no matter his amp, his tone is harsh and more fatiguing than mine. He always sounds like a dump truck LOL.

Last year I sat down and compared it to the amps I had Marshall VS100H, Peavey Special (silver stripe Transtube) and Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier solo.

Just plugging in with an A/B switch, the recto sounds closest to the rg. I feel the Peavey sounded the best for my taste. I like a clearer and tighter tone.
I think a big part of it is the cab or cabs and the ohm rating, you really need 2 8 ohm cabs to make it work, and the speakers are a big deal too. Lynch used Randall cabs with Celestion 65s in them (I bet they were 8 ohm versions too) on Tooth and Nail and the tour. I think those would be a perfect match for the Randall and tame some of the high end, maybe make it less grating.

Back