Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Tue, Jun 18, 2019 7:27pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18, 2018 7:05pm 
Apprentice NOOB

I just recently scored a 2002 SG standard. Great guitar. It came with BK pickups (not sure which model), which sound great, but I’m looking for something a bit hotter. I’m not a modern metal guy - more old school metal like Maiden/Sabbath/Priest. It’s my first SG, and it’s definitely a different animal than my LP. I would like a hotter pickup - maybe like 10-15k. Sonthing that has punchy mids, big tone, and is fairly “alive” sounding, but still has some character to it when you roll down the volume. The pickups in there now are just a touch too PAFish for what I’m shooting for. What’s out there these days that slays in the SG that is somewhat hot but not too over the top?

UPDATE BELOW

Last edited by guitarded_1 on Sun, Oct 14, 2018 6:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18, 2018 7:20pm 
Plank Cranker

Are you human?: 951
I’ve tried a million expensive pickups and the best mid gain pickup I’ve found is the Duncan 59/custom hybrid. It’s just awesome for everything.

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18, 2018 7:30pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Priest and Maiden? You want a Dimarzio Super Distortion.

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18, 2018 7:36pm 
Supah Stah

Crunchtime wrote:

Yup

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18, 2018 8:04pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Crunchtime wrote:

:yes: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19, 2018 8:10am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

When I asked Tim from BKP, he suggested to go extreme or low output. He told me that med-hot pickups get muddy and to either go with a Warpig or something vintage-ish like a Mule or a Riff Raff.

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19, 2018 8:18am 
Plank Cranker

Seymour Duncan Custom, 14K ohms. nice mids push without being too much, tight lows with plenty of high end detail. Can do classic rock, hard rock to metal.

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19, 2018 9:41am 
Plank Cranker

I agree with the Super Distortion but what amp are you using ? You can put hot pickups through a lower gain amp to great effect but if you run hot pickups into a 5153 etc etc etc it’s not going to be pleasant most likely.

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19, 2018 9:44am 
Apprentice NOOB

Dirty Fingers sound really good in an SG

13' Gibson LP Traditional Pro II
13' Gibson SG 70's Tribute
16' Gibson LP Classic

Friedman PT-20
Mesa Boogie Mark Five 25
Orange OR15
Marshall DSL1H
Randall Diavlo

Sourmash 2061CX cab
Orange PPC410

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19, 2018 12:17pm 
Hack

I agree with Dirty Fingers. I have also good experience with Alnico Nailbomb in SG (Tribute, I think). Hot, quite fat and not so harsh. Imho SG is very tricky with pickups.

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19, 2018 1:21pm 
Apprentice NOOB

I am using the Tone Zone in the bridge and a PAF master in the neck. The TZ is great to increase the low end in the SG... the guitar is now a proper backup to my Les Paul.

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19, 2018 1:30pm 
Supah Stah

harddriver wrote:
Seymour Duncan Custom, 14K ohms. nice mids push without being too much, tight lows with plenty of high end detail. Can do classic rock, hard rock to metal.

My go-to, jack of all trades. Excellent for metal.

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 20, 2018 9:06am 
Apprentice NOOB

I never bonded with BKP, I don't know why. I tried a few models, but they're just not for me. I went back to SD for awhile and now use Motor City and PRS pick ups.

For Seymour Duncan the Custom is great. I know folks sometimes don't like the JB but it can also be a great metal pick up. It has the best lead tone of any pick up imo. You might also want to try the new Dave Mustaine sig from them. It is a JB but with a tighter more focused bottom end. I haven't tried one but I want to! I also really liked the Black Winter from Seymour Duncan. The name implies black of modern metal, and while it can do that, it can pretty much do anything else too.

The Motor City Afwayu is my go to now because it has the tightness and compression i want on the lower strings (but still not too tight or dry which I don't like) but has that singing high end sparkle like the JB. Great pick up!

Last, I really love the PRS Tremonti for anything hard rock or metal. It is a HUGE sounding pick up and sings really well for solos too. It's not given much attention when people ask for metal pick up recommendations, but it should be. It is a beast!

I hope this helps.
Jeff

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 20, 2018 6:41pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Ive tried several things in my 2011 SG standard. Dirty Fingers, 500T, 498T, bare knuckle pickups Stockholm, and Mule, Motor City Pickups Afwayu. The best one that fit my SG was a Seymour Duncan Custom with the magnet replaced with a A8 magnet. Killer pickup that sounds huge and hot but still a little vintage.

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 20, 2018 8:07pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I ended up pulling the trigger on a set of Wolfetone Marshallheads. We’ll see how they work out...

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 20, 2018 9:29pm 
Hack

Look into the Mustaine Duncan pickup. Really sounds amazing, really works with a lot of killer high gain amps.

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 20, 2018 9:43pm 
Rock God

napalmdeath wrote:
harddriver wrote:

My go-to, jack of all trades. Excellent for metal.

:thumbsup:
Great with almost any guitar, very tight as mentioned. If you have a bright wood it is the perfect match IMO.

Roland SDE 3000
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
Peavey Butcher Cab w/K85s
2009 Charvel USA Plum SoCal
1980 Greco EG500 LP
1985 Ibanez Destroyer

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 20, 2018 11:10pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I've got 2 SGJ's. In the bridge of one of them, I have a Duncan Custom Custom- good all around pickup. I made a little instagram recording of Judas Priest's hellrider.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg4ukZcnFTv ... yadventure
The pickup is good all around and can be dynamic when rolled back.

In my other SGJ is a Dean (DMT) Baker Act. It's currently my favourite bridge pickup (I have one in a Charvel as well). Its very hot, uncompressed. Sounds similar to a Dimarzio Fred, but doesn't have that "muffled/ blanket over you amp" sound quality that's associated with Dimarzio pickups. Yes, I know its Dean pickup (and there's no hype machine with dean), but the thing absolutely rips! The tone doesn't really change when the volume is rolled down. It gets quieter, but its kind of a one trick pony. For softer sounds, I combine mine with the neck pickup.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmmAUDEBb3G ... yadventure

TC Electronic BG250
(2) Randall RM100's

Salvation MTS mods- Rockerverb, Mesa Mark IV, CCV, Ultra XL
Kemper

Peace & ZEN

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 24, 2018 2:48pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Bloodrock wrote:
I’ve tried a million expensive pickups and the best mid gain pickup I’ve found is the Duncan 59/custom hybrid. It’s just awesome for everything.

THIS...

and SH-14 Duncan Custom 5 (brings out some needed tight low-end that most SG's typically lack a bit (compared to a Les Paul), or a Super Distortion (also brings some extra girth.

I sometimes use a Les Paul Custom in a Maiden/Priest tribute, with a Super D/36th Anniv PAF neck combination. :rock:
(Most of the time though, Charvel So-Cal with a Norton/Air Norton set. kinda bright for Maiden, but + Engl Invader=evens out. )

Engl Savage 60 + Two Notes Torpedo Live
Engl e670 Special Edition EL34 + HB 212V cab (G12K85 +V30)
EVH 5150 III 50W + Mesa Boogie 2x12 Vertical Slant cab
Fender '74 Princeton Reverb (w/ Eminence Legend 105-8)
Marshall Lead 100 MOSFET + 1966A & 1966B cabs
Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 + Mesa 1x12 Thiele EVM cab
Roland Jazz Chorus JC-55 combo & JC-120H head
Axes:
Burny Les Paul (3x), Charvel So-Cal, Epiphone Wildkat, ESP Horizon NT-II, Fender '68 RI Strat, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, G&L ASAT Classic Tribute, Ibanez S540FM & Kramer SM-1 Guitars

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 28, 2018 8:06pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

harddriver wrote:

When you all say the Custom,is that the SH-5B ? I had a SH-14 that was some kind of Custom and it was an excellent overall pickup,had it in a string thru ESP LTD EC 1000 and it rocked,so add SH-14B to your list.

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 28, 2018 9:45pm 
Plank Cranker

riffermadness wrote:
harddriver wrote:

When you all say the Custom,is that the SH-5B ? I had a SH-14 that was some kind of Custom and it was an excellent overall pickup,had it in a string thru ESP LTD EC 1000 and it rocked,so add SH-14B to your list.

SH-5Bridge Custom Ceramic magnet 14K ohms resistance. The Custom 5 used to be one coil from custom and one coil from the SH-1B PAF and an A-5 magnet that was custom built on the Duncan forums if I remember right. But it looks like Seymour is marketing the SH-14 just an SH-5 equal wind coils with the A-5 magnet instead of a ceramic magnet.

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 28, 2018 10:11pm 
Just a Peasant

Bloodrock wrote:

This

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 29, 2018 10:29am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

A motor city detroiter changed my sg into a rocking beast. Love it. The Godwood set in my Explorer is pretty awesome too.

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 29, 2018 3:27pm 
Apprentice NOOB

LPMojoGL wrote:
A motor city detroiter changed my sg into a rocking beast. Love it. The Godwood set in my Explorer is pretty awesome too.

I’m going to try the Marshallhead, and if that doesn’t work, the detroiter is on the list. Godwood is up there too. I have one in my R8 and it’s outrageously good.

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 30, 2018 2:33am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

harddriver wrote:
riffermadness wrote:
harddriver wrote:

SH-5Bridge Custom Ceramic magnet 14K ohms resistance. The Custom 5 used to be one coil from custom and one coil from the SH-1B PAF and an A-5 magnet that was custom built on the Duncan forums if I remember right. But it looks like Seymour is marketing the SH-14 just an SH-5 equal wind coils with the A-5 magnet instead of a ceramic magnet.

SH-14 has always been the Custom 5. It's just the Custom's symmetrically wound coils but with an A5 magnet. It was created by the folks from the Duncan forum by swapping the magnet in a regular Custom (or Custom Custom, for that matter) for Alnico 5.

SH-16 is the '59/Custom Hybrid. That's the one that has one coil from the Custom, one coil from the '59B, and an A5 magnet. That was also created by the folks from the Duncan forum. That one came later.

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 06, 2018 5:13pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

guitarded_1 wrote:
LPMojoGL wrote:

I’m going to try the Marshallhead, and if that doesn’t work, the detroiter is on the list. Godwood is up there too. I have one in my R8 and it’s outrageously good.

I've been curious about the Marshallhead, too.

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 07, 2018 1:20pm 
Just a Peasant

Rex Rocker wrote:

SH-16 is the '59/Custom Hybrid. That's the one that has one coil from the Custom, one coil from the '59B, and an A5 magnet. That was also created by the folks from the Duncan forum. That one came later.

Chubtone turned me on to this pickup. Coupled with a 59 in the neck, it’s my all-time favorite pickup.

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 07, 2018 2:01pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

stompboxfreak72 wrote:
I agree with the Super Distortion but what amp are you using ? You can put hot pickups through a lower gain amp to great effect but if you run hot pickups into a 5153 etc etc etc it’s not going to be pleasant most likely.

that's exactly one of my set ups, seems to work fine for me...mind you I have the pickup pretty lower so that helps :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 11, 2018 8:56am 
Apprentice NOOB

My go-to (Non-Active) PU for the bridge position is the good Ol' Fender Atomic. Hot as hell and plenty of tone. Although I do know these are an acquired taste for some, I love em. Be sure that you either Demo or Hear an original Atomic, not an Atomic II as they are far inferior in tone\quality. Original Atomics come in 2 colors - Black\White. There are no Zebra Atomics that are the original first design.

Spec:
DC Resistance = 16.6 K Ohms
Inductance = 8.5 Henries
Magnets = Alenco 5
Resonance = 2,000 Hz (Weighted)

Attachments:
fender-atomic-humbucker-xl.jpg
fender-atomic-humbucker-xl.jpg [ 44.2 KiB | Viewed 524 times ]

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 14, 2018 6:16pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Got the SG back from the shop - new wiring harness and Woltone Marshallheads installed. I have only had a chance to play the guitar through my practice amp so far. Will run it through the big boy amps later. Initial thoughts - totally badass pickups. With lower gain, sweet, detailed and PAFish. With high gain - kickass crunch and attitude and a very “alive” sound. I could see these really excelling at pretty much anything from pop to metal. Time will tell, but so far, I’m very impressed.

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 15, 2018 2:37pm 
Plank Cranker

just got a set of Marshallheads in a Les Paul and they sound killer

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 15, 2018 3:06pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I agree the Marshallheads are great. I have a guitar with his P90’s and they’re also killer! They sound to me kinda like a more raw, pissed off Marshallhead. For the price, Marshallheads and some of the WB’s are my favorite lower output humbuckers.

If you’re willing to spend more though, the best paf style humbuckers ive tried were by far the Tone Specifics and Virgil Arlo’s. I still prefer my WCR Iron Man and Murkat for metal, but for almost everything they’re hands down my favorite of everything I’ve tried

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 15, 2018 3:16pm 
Rock God

Check out the Miracle Man. 17.5k
For lower output the Balaguer Feral, while needing a drastic EQ change sounded fantastic in comparison. I like both high and lower output. I am getting a guitar in a day or two with the Super Distortion so will see how I like the mid output pickups.

I will say, as I was told by James Peters, there is a lot more to how "hot" a pickup is than just DC resistance fwiw.

"It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission"