Looking for suggestions for a neutral or dark speaker

I’m currently using a 2555x with a Bogner OS 2x12 loaded with 75w Creams.
Looking for something not so bright, I love these speakers except for the brightness. EQ’s both out front and looped don’t get me there, series or parallel doesn’t either. I dig the 30th Anniversary speakers but Unfortunatly I need higher power ratings. Redback perhaps? Fane? Please help an RT brother out.

I haven't tried them, but from what I've read, the Celestion Redbacks are supposed to be like a darker version of the Creamback H75. Otherwise maybe the Fane F90 or the Celestion K100 are the other 2 that come to mind

mhenson42":1qq22c4e said:
I haven't tried them, but from what I've read, the Celestion Redbacks are supposed to be like a darker version of the Creamback H75. Otherwise maybe the Fane F90 or the Celestion K100 are the other 2 that come to mind
I thought the F90’s were supposed to be bright?

Rex Rocker":2a95bnyt said:
Eminence Texas Heats or Swamp Thangs, perhaps.

Swamp Thangs!
An AWESOME neutral speaker would be a Classic Lead 80, or even better, Mesa's English version, the MC90. I love that speaker!

braintheory":3mh1fd8z said:
mhenson42":3mh1fd8z said:
I thought the F90’s were supposed to be bright?

I haven't tried them, and I've read that as well. Then I read on some post they were supposedly more neutral like a K100 and heard a comparison clip and they sounded similar.

I've also got a pair of Relic 30's in my Marshall 1960A. They are dark, and they mix well with the sizzly H-75's which are also in my cab. They're discontinued, but they're not too hard to get ahold of. They were also known as the Vintage 30MF's and Hellatone 60L's. They only come in 16 ohms, though.

RedPlated":u7i7bbks said:
Celestion G12-65. Large dust cap, rolled of top end. 65 watts.

Save some money and get WGS 'ET65' if you want that sound -- great choice with that amp if you don't want the more vintagey sound of the G12M-65 Creamback. Maybe mix one of each. ET65 mix very well with G12M types, and most guitar speakers for that matter. It's essentially the same as the Celestion G12-65 with a slightly higher freq upper-mid peak: 3.4kHz instead of 3.2kHz. A G12M-65 should add some punch to the mix, and reduce and spread out the piercing 3.2~3.4kHz range. Should be awesome. WGS does not specifically make a G12M-65 type. The 'Invader 50' is very close, but with the same 3.4kHz peak as the ET65. Maybe a lower bass Fs than the G12M-65 (which would make it more scooped), but Celestion does not list that spec. The free air cone Fs is not the same thing, because it doesn't take into account the suspension, surround and doping. WGS Fs specs are more accurate in that respect. Either combo should be great for what you want. The G12M-65/ET65 combo might be more even in the 3.2~3.4kHz range, and may have more mid-bass depending on the real Fs. I imagine the Fs is pretty low like the Invader 50. The WGS recommended ET65/Veteran 30 combo is really great. Just like the Celestion V-Type, the Veteran 30 has a nice mid-bass growl with about the same Fs as the ET65. Maybe a tad brighter than the G12M-65 or Invader 50, but not like a G12H Creamback.

GCKelloch":2n7ls29o said:
RedPlated":2n7ls29o said:

Save some money and get WGS 'ET65' if you want that sound -- great choice with that amp if you don't want the more vintagey sound of the G12M-65 Creamback. Maybe mix one of each. ET65 mix very well with G12M types, and most guitar speakers for that matter. It's essentially the same as the Celestion G12-65 with a slightly higher freq upper-mid peak: 3.4kHz instead of 3.2kHz. A G12M-65 should add some punch to the mix, and reduce and spread out the piercing 3.2~3.4kHz range. Should be awesome. WGS does not specifically make a G12M-65 type. The 'Invader 50' is very close, but with the same 3.4kHz peak as the ET65. Maybe a lower bass Fs than the G12M-65 (which would make it more scooped), but Celestion does not list that spec. The free air cone Fs is not the same thing, because it doesn't take into account the suspension, surround and doping. WGS Fs specs are more accurate in that respect. Either combo should be great for what you want. The G12M-65/ET65 combo might be more even in the 3.2~3.4kHz range, and may have more mid-bass depending on the real Fs. I imagine the Fs is pretty low like the Invader 50. The WGS recommended ET65/Veteran 30 combo is really great. Just like the Celestion V-Type, the Veteran 30 has a nice mid-bass growl with about the same Fs as the ET65. Maybe a tad brighter than the G12M-65 or Invader 50, but not like a G12H Creamback.
These are a nice alternative to the Celestion 65, the only thing I didn't like about them is the difference at higher volumes. The Celestion holds up better, where the WGS gets a bit overpowered and gets a little flubby. I ran ET 65s in an SLO combo a couple years back.

Racerxrated":20bje28s said:
GCKelloch":20bje28s said:
RedPlated":20bje28s said:

These are a nice alternative to the Celestion 65, the only thing I didn't like about them is the difference at higher volumes. The Celestion holds up better, where the WGS gets a bit overpowered and gets a little flubby. I ran ET 65s in an SLO combo a couple years back.

I've heard that kind of thing b4. The ET65 may just have more mid-bass or something? Did you compare both new sets of speakers, or was one set already broken in?

Back