NGD (Charvel Inbound)

Here are cell phone pics. The amount of gloss came out perfectly.

This guitar is great. MIM fan and sold.

Comparing to my "custom shop" I would say this is 90% of the CS or better. The neck on the CS seems slightly thinner or just different but I mean ever so very slightly that I can barely tell.

Not sure if it is because it is brand new and everything is tight or what. It sounds very good but I like the Motor City in my CS better. Again, ever so slightly. Very happy with this.

That *is* some dark ebony! :shocked:
May wanna call your fretboard Wesley Stripes. :loco:

Curious to hear what you think of the DP218 Super D S in the neck. I had it once in a Hamer Calif, and found it too boomy, powerful and thick. Went back to an Air Norton S and later even to a Chopper.

Speeddemon":2nvt7if8 said:

Curious to hear what you think of the DP218 Super D S in the neck. I had it once in a Hamer Calif, and found it too boomy, powerful and thick. Went back to an Air Norton S and later even to a Chopper.

Regarding the pickups - I actually really like the neck. The middle position sounds amazing with the volume rolled down but I am not feeling the Super Distortion in the bridge.

Considering what to replace that with. I have a Motor City Hothead in my other Charvel that sounds really good.

Not that the SD isn't good because it is. It just does not fit what I want.

maddnotez":14792vn4 said:
Speeddemon":14792vn4 said:

Regarding the pickups - I actually really like the neck. The middle position sounds amazing with the volume rolled down but I am not feeling the Super Distortion in the bridge.

Considering what to replace that with. I have a Motor City Hothead in my other Charvel that sounds really good.

What do you want, compared to the Super D in the bridge?
I can't give you advice regarding Motor City, BKP, Wolfetone, etc... but with quite a few Duncans and DiMarzio's I have some experience.

Speeddemon":yopmmow8 said:
maddnotez":yopmmow8 said:
Speeddemon":yopmmow8 said:

What do you want, compared to the Super D in the bridge?
I can't give you advice regarding Motor City, BKP, Wolfetone, etc... but with quite a few Duncans and DiMarzio's I have some experience.

Idk honestly.

The EQ and output seem good I just dont like the distortion of it.

My MCP has a much tighter low end that you can feel and less of that fuzzy distortion.

Duncan SH-14 Custom 5 and DiMarzio AT-1 (Andy Timmons) come to mind.
Less output than a Super D, still a relatively good, but tighter low-end, more openness. Tad more high-end.

The Super D is a bit fizzy. Modeled for hair metal primarily right? I'm not a pickup expert.

I CAN recommend the Duncan Custom Custom. Love mine. It is a TB-11. Since your HB slot is angled - maybe you need the SD-11. If you think you might want a Duncan, give them a call.

Edit: I just used the updated pickup selector tool on the Duncan site. Based on the stuff you play check out their new Black Winter pickup. Might be right up your alley.

I saw his guitar when I was about to buy a new one,got the SLQ2 Soloist instead but man you got a nice guitar there,might have to do one of those on monthly payments,like all my other gear..Pay as you go .

wIsEbLooD":ko2a4i3j said:
nice guitar, since the bridge is angled I would go for something with less bass.
Dimarzio Norton then. Less bass than the AT-1 (and SuperD), a pinch more output, but less output than the Super D. Nice crunchy mids, easy harmonics.
It's almost like everything the JB aspires to be, without the negatives.
No flubby lows, no piercing highs and still all the greatness.

Thanks for the pickup suggestions.

I'll probably have to wait a couple of weeks before I can order something but these are all good tips.

Dude you know what’s seriously great, underrated as hell and relatively cheap?

EVH Wolfgang pickups, the USA ones that come in the Fender guitars. Around $75/$80 new for the bridge, and there’s a guy selling 3 used ones in the classifieds for 35 bones each. I’d hit him up and ask if they’re USAs and grab one. They’re tight, can do crunch, screaming metal and even sound really good on cleans in the bridge. Those things are elite level, no joke.

Back