NGD: Kramer SM-1

Speeddemon

Lusted after Kramers for years and never found the right one... (I like the beak headstocks myself, don't like the hockeystick/banana ones)...
but this came along and ticked quite a few 'want' boxes:
-arched top
-neck through
-ebony fretboard
-real Floyd Rose
-Duncan pups

and I didn't have a HSS guitar anymore. So, quite happy with it. Plays great!
This is an older model (probably 2013), which apparently has the JB in the bridge, while the newer ones are supposed to have an Alternative 8 bridge.
Since I have an Alnico 8 magnet lying around, should I do the switch? Also, contemplating replacing the thin, 32mm Floyd block with a 34mm, thicker brass version, although it already has quite a nice sustain.

Attachments

• Kramer SM1 01.jpg
    Kramer SM1 01.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 870
  • Kramer SM1 02.jpg
    Kramer SM1 02.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 965
Very cool! I always look at Reverb for old Kramer's. Interested in your thoughts on how this one plays after you have had it a minute and the honeymoon passes. These are Korean or Indo?

Thanks guys. Love the color too (my 4th cream white axe... :LOL: :LOL: )...
Yep, pretty much meant for hair/shred/speed/thrash metal carnage this one. One of the very few guitars that I actually want a higher output from, for crazy harmonics, tightness etc. But not too keen on ceramic mag-pups (nor actives), hence my consideration of putting the A8 in the JB. If I could combine the sound from a Duncan Custom 5 with a DiMarzio Norton and put THAT on '11'...sure. :rock:

JerEvil":2bgm249o said:
Very cool! I always look at Reverb for old Kramer's. Interested in your thoughts on how this one plays after you have had it a minute and the honeymoon passes. These are Korean or Indo?
Korean, if I'm not mistaken. Will report back after some time with her. :thumbsup:

Slightly OT:
I used to own two Hamer Vector XT/FT Flying V's; one from Indonesia and one from China. Got them cheap, upgraded them well (double cream DiMarzio's (2x Super D, and Super D/Air N), replaced electronics, push/pull volume pots (for coilsplits), added treble bleed caps, Tusq nut) and those were nice players as well. The Indonesian one seemed a bit more solid/hefty than the Chinese one, although the Chinese one had the better looking flame maple top. Amber-burst. But got rid of them once my Priest-tribute disbanded (where I was the KK ;-).

Did those come with real Floyds at some point? I think most of them have the korean FRT1000, like on the LTDs and what not. Still great guitars, though!

Dave L":2trjtupv said:
Did those come with real Floyds at some point? I think most of them have the korean FRT1000, like on the LTDs and what not. Still great guitars, though!
Well, I consider an FRT1000 still a real Floyd. It doesn't say "Licensed under...", it says "Floyd Rose".
Sure, it ain't no Schaller, but on a sub $500 guitar (used), can't really complain. Same trem is on my Charvel So-Cal Pro Mod. Very stable.

For sure, they´re a big step up from the FR Specials and the often truly awful assortment of licensed Floyds you might have found on more budget friendly guitars back in the 80s and 90s.

Man, I think these look the coolest, my dealer has had one for awhile and I've been so tempted...congrats on grabbing one!

I personally would prefer the JB, I was kind of bummed my dealer had one of the newer ones with the Alt 8, I'm not quite down with this A8 fad. You've already got the A5 in the JB which should be on the money for what you want to play. I agree with what was already said...if it sounds good already, leave the magnet alone.

Definitely interested in hearing you report back out after you've had some time with it!

Yeah, it can be hit or miss with the JB. My experience with both Les Pauls as well as with Hamer Californians (H-S superstrats, 27 frets, bolt-on neck) is that the JB behaves very well in an all mahogany guitar.
The thing with the Hamers was (both 90's imports, one was mahogany, the older Alder), that they seemed to lack the natural sustain, that this Kramer does seem to have, even with worn strings.

That's why I'm also a bit on the fence on the sustain block upgrade. I don't want it to become woofy in the lows.

Oh, I totally missed this had a mahogany body...I've got no reference on an A8 in this context, I'm curious to hear the results if you go that path! I know you said you weren't keen on ceramics, but for this spec guitar and style of music you are aiming at, I'd also be tempted to try a Duncan Distortion in it.

Back