What 4x12 Rocks & Thumps These Days...

Had an oversize. Bought it by accident if you can believe that. I answered a Craigslist add, went to some kids house living at home, and went down to the basement. It was perfect mint.. I was wowed by the condition so much that I didn't notice it was an oversize.. I thought it sounded like ass.. It probably sounded fine with a Dual Rec, but not so much with a Mark V.. A traditional is way more focused.. I was stuck with it for like 2 years, but I got all my money back, LOL..

I still play old ass Carvin that I bought for $250 in 97' that had G12M70's.. I think speakers have a bigger impact than the brand of cab. I got rid of those speakers though. Everything else was better than the old G12M70's..

I used to hate the OS Mesa until I ran the JP2C through it. Just depends on all the other variables.

I still have my Mills 4x12 as for me it is the best overall cab I have ever played. There are older threads on here directly comparing Friedman and Bogner and they are both highly regarded cabs.

Hard to beat the quality and consistency of a Mesa cabinet. They can be had all day on Craigslist for ~$500 and you won't lose money on the flip down the road. Cant say that about almost any special obscure brand cabinet that is jacked up to $1199 just because of a name.

I see a lot of used Marshall slants on GC's site. A few Boogies. I prefer a straight vs. slant 4x12. Will keep looking and accepting suggestions. Cheers!

Hard to beat the 5150III 4x12. Easy to find and reasonably cheap. IME you can spend a lot of time, money, and trouble looking for something else but not get anything that’s really “better.”

Mesa, Rivera, Bogner all have similar tonal results to me when I had a C+ and I had all 3 slants in the house. The Bogner was a little more vintage sounding, the Mesa and Rivera were exact matches which is weird since the Rivera has the batting like the bogner. All had V30s. I think the Bogner with the batting tends to focus the sound more, sounds a bit richer. But the Mesa will project more and sound as good. Diezel I believe are the same construction as the Bogner and Rivera. All made in the same factory.

Rex Rocker":ywfnrst9 said:
Mesa Rectifier oversized. :)

I have one with a Mesa Mark IV, sounds awesome. My mind changed on the OS Mesa cabs when it was the best sounding cab at an ampfest against some good cabs like Bogner, Mills, old Marshall. Surprising that an Engl cab there sounded about as good as the Mesa OS. All the cabs sounded good but the Mesa OS and Engl were tops for me.

cardinal":39myga5o said:
Hard to beat the 5150III 4x12. Easy to find and reasonably cheap. IME you can spend a lot of time, money, and trouble looking for something else but not get anything that’s really “better.”
^^^
:yes: The EVH sounds pretty dang good with all the amps I've run through it.

Interesting... This has become a tougher decision. I see a lot of used EVH's for good prices. I don't see as many Mesa Traditional/Stielleto's.

Is the EVH pretty tight? I don't like a super woofy bass response. I have been leaning toward a Bogner or Friedman since my amps are also Friedmans, but they're more pricey than the EVH's or Mesa's.

Junk Yard Dog":ymlnmk58 said:
Interesting... This has become a tougher decision. I see a lot of used EVH's for good prices. I don't see as many Mesa Traditional/Stielleto's.

Is the EVH pretty tight? I don't like a super woofy bass response. I have been leaning toward a Bogner or Friedman since my amps are also Friedmans, but they're more pricey than the EVH's or Mesa's.

I've owned the EVH, the Mesa Trad, Mesa OS, Bogner, Friedman, Mills, ENGL - and I now own 3 x Orange 4x12's - they sound best to my ears, don't rule them out.

UberschallEL34":1xg24wwj said:
Junk Yard Dog":1xg24wwj said:

I've owned the EVH, the Mesa Trad, Mesa OS, Bogner, Friedman, Mills, ENGL - and I now own 3 x Orange 4x12's - they sound best to my ears, don't rule them out.

OK, I'll give those a factoring. ...Of all those others, which was your second favorite? ...Or, if you have a few minutes, could you describe what you liked or disliked about each one? I follow you on youtube and love your clips, so i trust your judgement. I listened to your TC-100/Zuul clip last night.

Cheers!

I'm no authority but have had a heap of amps/cabs so take it FWIW. The Orange don't seem to be bright or dark, Mesa cabs sound dark to my ears, the Bogner have a bit of a muffled sound with the batting in the back panel, Mills sounded HUGE, not made any longer obviously, Friedman has a great tone since they have more open sound and more thump and woody sound vs Bogner. TO my ears the Orange are just overall fuller and have a sweeter frequency for heavy guitar amps.

this may help, get the feel for what the cab does
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UvirR-CY58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFMophiyiaU

UberschallEL34":2hqu1gfc said:
I'm no authority but have had a heap of amps/cabs so take it FWIW. The Orange don't seem to be bright or dark, Mesa cabs sound dark to my ears, the Bogner have a bit of a muffled sound with the batting in the back panel, Mills sounded HUGE, not made any longer obviously, Friedman has a great tone since they have more open sound and more thump and woody sound vs Bogner. TO my ears the Orange are just overall fuller and have a sweeter frequency for heavy guitar amps.

Cool. I have a potential line on a Bogner ST with V30s on bottom and Scumback BM75-LDC's on top. And the Friedmans. Could be a tough call, but you know cabs, and I like that the Friedman has more thump. My Friedman 2x12 has more thump than my Bogner OS 2x12.

Junk Yard Dog":1tliqnxu said:
UberschallEL34":1tliqnxu said:

Cool. I have a potential line on a Bogner ST with V30s on bottom and Scumback BM75-LDC's on top. And the Friedmans. Could be a tough call, but you know cabs, and I like that the Friedman has more thump. My Friedman 2x12 has more thump than my Bogner OS 2x12.

That dacron fill doesn't do it for me, I like the cabs without it, more lively

Back