Anyone use the Seymour Duncan build your own pickup option?

maddnotez

Banned
Curious of the results.

Need a new pickup and can't decide. I may just roll the dice and let them decide what is best.

Can't speak to any 'build your own' options - but it sounds cool.

They used to have a decent pickup selector tool on their website. I almost said 'app' but this was before 'apps' really. It has been a while since I've been on their site.

What I do know is that their customer service is amazing. 10 years ago, when I first got into all of this guitar shit I bought a Duncan JB from Guitar Center for my HSS MIM Strat because I read that was the pickup to have. Well, as you probably know, the JB is not the best choice for a Strat. I called. They recommended the TB-11 (Custom Custom, which I still have today). They sent me one and all I had to do was pay the difference, which wasn't much, and send in the JB.

Easy peasy

I ended up putting a Super Distortion in the Strat and it is OK. Doable.

Yeah they still have the recommendation page.

If I cant decide on something i might go the custom route and get an obscene logo put on it lol.

Other guitarist in my band ordered a custom pickup in may, was basically a hot paf tyoe with an alnico 5 based on his experience with the 59 etc and what he wanted to change in it. The pickup turned out really good, but... ordered in early may, was supposed to take 6 weeks and in late August when it hadnt come, he emailed and asked to cancel the order. They said we will ship it day after tomorrow, and they did, but they were awfully slow to begin with.

I emailed them a couple months ago on their website/form for a Custom Single Coil Neck pickup, and asked for advice on options. I have yet to receive any reply. I'm hesitant on ordering and putting money down if they can't answer some quick questions first..

Back